Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #21
SteveStLoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, the brew went well.. hit the gravity dead on, will check later for some fermentation activity.

Primary: Oxyclean/H2O
Secondary: O2
Bottles: Honey Blonde Ale
Next: Some sort of Porter!

Wine Secondary: Vintners Reserve Merlot

"We make two things here.. good beer, and mistakes. This one might have been a mistake.." -anon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #22
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

Lots of airlock activity last night and this morning.. Decent krausen with some hop sludge in it, definately lots of movement in the betterbottle (which i am now in love with, by the way..)

I really love the color so far and the grains smelled amazing as i was steeping.. I have pretty high hopes for this beer.. seems like a great base for adding any sort of fruit flavor to it! Maybe canteloupe beer next time

"We make two things here.. good beer, and mistakes. This one might have been a mistake.." -anon

Old 09-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

just checking to how its going. should be almost ready to move to a secondary and add juice.

Check out my stainless steel cooler mash tun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #24
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

ive been checking it every day, and today (a week later..) its still giving me a few bubbles every 15 seconds or so, and theres still some hop sludge at the top of my fermentor.. so im gonna wait a few more days and check the gravity.
looks great though.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #25
ben the brewman
Recipes 

i got my score card back on this beer. it was scored a 34 by a bjcp beer judge. he said it had great head retention, good aroma of watermelon and malts, nice color, and a very nicely blended watermelon and wheat beer flavor not overpowering at all. overall he said it was a great beer but he thought personaly it could be a little sweeter. so im happy with this score and beer but like i said next time im gonna use a us wheat yeast.

Check out my stainless steel cooler mash tun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 10-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #26
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

Cool! I checked gravity last night, it was at 1.010 (at 76ish degrees, so.. Im pretty sure its right on.) Ill check it again tonight, and again on Friday and hopefully rack to secondary on Friday.

Ben, can you tell me your exact procedure for getting the watermelon juice? Thanks. Im gonna use about 5 cups of it.. I really want a killer watermelon flavor in it!

Thanks buddy!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:32 AM   #27
ben the brewman
Recipes 

take the meat of the watermelon into a blender and puree it. then pour the puree through a nylon paint strainer, grain bag, or something like that and you will only get the juice. the paint strainer bag is what i used and i bought it at sherwin williams for like a buck or so.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #28
ben the brewman
Recipes 

try to get a seedless watermelon so you dont waste the time trying to pick out the seeds.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #29
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

I did get a seedless one. I tried blending a piece of watermelon last night, and i tried to run it through my funnel/strainer combo, and it clogged almost immediately. perhaps the strainer was too fine.. ill try a paint strainer! thanks!

Old 10-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #30
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

Okay! The blender and paint strainer worked GREAT! Here's a few pictures of the racking...

Sorry about all the crap in the background, it was a last minute decision to take pics lol.

Quick Reply