Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
SteveStLoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just ordered everything from Austin's.. plus some extra equipment (Spent $100 there in one shot ) so hopefully by next weekend ill make this up!

Primary: Oxyclean/H2O
Secondary: O2
Bottles: Honey Blonde Ale
Next: Some sort of Porter!

Wine Secondary: Vintners Reserve Merlot

"We make two things here.. good beer, and mistakes. This one might have been a mistake.." -anon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

One more question if I may,

How much, or large of, a watermelon would make the required amount of juice for secondary?

"We make two things here.. good beer, and mistakes. This one might have been a mistake.." -anon

Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just want to throw this thread out there... I used 6 cups of watermelon juice and it was excellent. The melon I pressed was round and about the size of a volleyball. No boiling, no pasteurizing, just racked beer on top of the juice in 2ndary.

The question I have for ben the brewman here... can't be answered. Damn. You kegged it, I see. I bottled mine and the head retention was very poor. This is almost an identical recipe to my orange honey hefe which was awesome at head retention.

Does anyone know if there's something in watermelon juice that kills it?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

first one i bought a large watermelon and thought i would use alot of it but it ended up being only like 1/4 of it or so. the second time i made it i used a seedless watermelon and it took almost half or so but it was easy to deal with because there was no seeds. thats how i do it every time now is with a seedless melon. hope this helped with your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveStLoo View Post
One more question if I may,

How much, or large of, a watermelon would make the required amount of juice for secondary?

Check out my stainless steel cooler mash tun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
ben the brewman
Recipes 

i did everything just the way you did just racked the beer on the juice in a 2ndary but i think 6 cups of juice is too much 2.5 cups was just right imo. i like to be able to taste the wheat beer and the watermelon both. im sure that a beer with 6 cups would be awesome but it just abit much for me. as for the juice having problems with the head i dont know. mine was kegged and it had a great head to it so im not sure sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Just want to throw this thread out there... I used 6 cups of watermelon juice and it was excellent. The melon I pressed was round and about the size of a volleyball. No boiling, no pasteurizing, just racked beer on top of the juice in 2ndary.

The question I have for ben the brewman here... can't be answered. Damn. You kegged it, I see. I bottled mine and the head retention was very poor. This is almost an identical recipe to my orange honey hefe which was awesome at head retention.

Does anyone know if there's something in watermelon juice that kills it?

Check out my stainless steel cooler mash tun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

I'll try splitting the difference by using about 3 cups of juice from a seedless melon.. Ill throw some of the pulp into my Magic Bullet, blend the crap out of it, then pour it in my funnel w/ the screen in to get about 3, maybe 3.5 cups.. see how it goes. If the shipping info is correct, then I will be brewing saturday.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #17
ben the brewman
Recipes 

sounds good man 3 cups would be great in it also. watermelon is a light flavor but its very noticable

Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #18
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

Ingredients arriving today, brewing Sunday morning... also, I was planning to bottle also, so I got some extra priming sugar to go with it. Im kindof excited to see how it comes out. I need to go to LHBS tomorrow to get the yeast, Austin was out of the required yeast AND nottingham yeast, no big deal. I'll keep everyone informed on the process.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
SteveStLoo
Recipes 

One more question before I brew..

I had AHS combine the LME and the Honey.. will this be a problem if I just add it all at the start of the boil?? I mean, its all mixed.. i would still add 1lb of the mixture at the start and the rest at 15... just wondering if that will affect the outcome?

Last edited by SteveStLoo; 09-18-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #20
ben the brewman
Recipes 

no it will be just fine. i have added all of it the last 20 min before and it was just fine. people say that you need some malt in the boil for the hops to be efficently boiled out but im not sure if i even believe that any more.

Quick Reply