Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #141
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindguardian View Post
I finally brewed this one up and after the recommended time in the primary and secondary with 2.5 cups of freshly squeezed watermelon juice and then 2 weeks of bottle carbonation and the chilled. I did not notice any watermelon flavor so I let it sit in the refridge for another week, even though the flavor did mellow out there was still no noticeable watermelon flavor. So next time I brew this one I think I will do 5 cups of watermelon juice.
Over all this is a great beer to sit back and drink. thanks for the recipe.
im sure that every watermelon is different so they will vary from melon to melon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #142
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In my case, the flavor of the watermelon has faded. I brewed that beer to be ready around mid July. It was great then. I had one this past weekend (first week in october) and the watermelon flavor has faded. Instead, its a nice wheat beer with a thick mouthfeel, is fairly sweet and has a slight taste of watermelon. Can't say that I'm dissappointed, but if you intend to let this sit for 4 or more months, go heavy on the watermelon juice to keep more flavor as it ages.

I am still enjoying mine, as does SWMBO.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #143
ben the brewman
Recipes 

jolly ranchers is the way to go for the long term watermelon flavor

Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #144
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb81larry23 View Post
Up and brewing this recipe right now in CA. Going to take it up to NorCal for Raiders vs. Jets in Oct. Hope all goes well. How does that saying go ? Plagerizing is flattery. Or just not good enough to formulate original recipes just yet.
Hopefully your beer does better than your Raiders will do...

Old 10-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #145
txtaquito
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I must say I am impressed with the outcome of this recipe. I have had a few people ask if I actually made it or if it was store bought as it was the best homebrew they ever tasted. the watermelon in mine is ever so slight. In fact, it leaves you thinking "what is that taste?" in your mind after you get that first mouthful and swallow. I think what really did it for this batch was the fact that I cold crashed for almost two weeks (because my AC went out & had 90deg plus temps). Against everyone's recommendations, I had to because I didnt want the yeast to produce off flavors. The cold crash clarified the hell out of the brew & I was worried there would not be enough yeast to carb in bottles. I took it out 48hrs ahead of bottling to allow the yeasties to awaken from their hibernation & as I transferred to my racking bucket with the priming sugar, I siphoned some slurry to make sure. Only one week later, they got some good head and great flavor. Went ahead and put all the bottles in the fridge to prevent bottle bombs. I gotta say, the taste & the clarity are near commercial perfect. I saved some slurry coz you can bet your bottom dollar Im gonna duplicate this one again.

Thanks for the awsome recipe Ben the brewman!

-TxT

Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #146
ben the brewman
Recipes 

no problem man. im glad you and your friends reall like this recipe cause i know i will be making it every year during the summer.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #147
chelero
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

really intrigued by this recipe. and the tart thing does not concern me., plus I'm thinking of trying a dry wheat yeast for the first time, be it wb 06 or the danstar munich. any recommendations one way or the other? also, how about hallertauer or EKgoldings? and finally....

Quote:
i agree the jolly ranchers are the way to go. since 1 jolly rancher is enough to carbonate 2 12oz bottles you can take 24 jolly ranchers and melt them down in some water just like priming sugar.
how'd you come up with this? i'm into the jolly rancher idea, but I don't want to risk overcarbonating it and have my bottles blowin up! this sounds like a cool beer, thanks for the recipe!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #148
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Munich yeast is pretty nice. Its what Brewer's Best gives you in their Weizenbier kit. It seems pretty neutral when fermented cool. I will be making this one again this spring.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #149
ben the brewman
Recipes 

I have two packs of munich yeast in the fridge. I havent used it in anything yet but i think i will in the next batch of watermelon wheat too.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #150
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelero View Post
really intrigued by this recipe. and the tart thing does not concern me., plus I'm thinking of trying a dry wheat yeast for the first time, be it wb 06 or the danstar munich. any recommendations one way or the other? also, how about hallertauer or EKgoldings? and finally....

how'd you come up with this? i'm into the jolly rancher idea, but I don't want to risk overcarbonating it and have my bottles blowin up! this sounds like a cool beer, thanks for the recipe!
I kind of liked the tartness from the wb 06 but i have munich so i will use it next time, either one will make a good beer. Any of the hops that are good for a wheat beer can be used in this i just use perle because it dosnt take much of them to get the job done. The jolly rancher idea was just a experiment that i tried. I figured since they are nothing more than corn syrup it should be the same as corn sugar. Next time i use the jolly ranchers i will just dissolve them in some water just like regular priming sugar.

Last edited by ben the brewman; 02-12-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply