Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #131
txtaquito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used torrified wheat when I made Graff's apple cider. GOt a darn nice head on it. I figured would help some with this one as I saw some people on this post concerned about head retention. Wheat beer - torrified wheat, I fugured why not.....

TxT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 02:19 AM   #132
txtaquito
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im preparing to put this baby in the secondary with the watermelon juice. Would it hurt to fridge it while in the secondary? I dont want to put the yeasties to sleep. I used an American hefe yeast so they may not be too partial to cold temps? I'm only doing it for clarity but I know this is a wheat and aint gonna be much clarity anyway. I do know that it may help the yeast eat up some of the off flavours. Should I do it at room temp, carb in the bottles then refridgerate? Looking for any suggestions....

TxT

Old 09-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #133
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i would do it at room temp because the watermelon juice is going to cause it to start to ferment again. if the beer is at colder temps it would slow the fermentation down and you might have possible bottle bombs. the yeast you used should clear up any off flavors after a bit. i just used the american hefe and it had a bit of a sulfur smell to it but it did go away.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #134
lb81larry23
Recipes 

Up and brewing this recipe right now in CA. Going to take it up to NorCal for Raiders vs. Jets in Oct. Hope all goes well. How does that saying go ? Plagerizing is flattery. Or just not good enough to formulate original recipes just yet.

Last edited by lb81larry23; 09-20-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: More text

Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #135
txtaquito
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will do at room temp but I just cant get the ideal temp for room temp fermentation - I get around 75-78. I cant get it any cooler. The FG before watermelon was 1.010 and same after. I added three cups juice. Guess we will see in a week how it went.

Thanks-

TxT

Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #136
lb81larry23
Recipes 

My OG only got down to 1.042 ??? Any ideas ?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #137
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb81larry23 View Post
My OG only got down to 1.042 ??? Any ideas ?
thats about right for the og. the extra points comes from the watermelon juice that you add. im not sure exactly how many points that watermelon juice is but i tested some with my hydrometer and it said it was a 1.042. im sure this vaires very much from melon to melon, year to year, and locations too. i will change the og in the orginal recipe to correct this.

Last edited by ben the brewman; 09-21-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #138
Blindguardian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally brewed this one up and after the recommended time in the primary and secondary with 2.5 cups of freshly squeezed watermelon juice and then 2 weeks of bottle carbonation and the chilled. I did not notice any watermelon flavor so I let it sit in the refridge for another week, even though the flavor did mellow out there was still no noticeable watermelon flavor. So next time I brew this one I think I will do 5 cups of watermelon juice.
Over all this is a great beer to sit back and drink. thanks for the recipe.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #139
txtaquito
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, just as my brew was about ready to be bottled, my AC in the house failed. Since I couldnt keep the temp stable, I decided to throw the carboy in the fridge and wait for the AC to be repaired. I bottled today. Let me tell ya, a week in the fridge at 35'F cleared the heck outta this one. It tasted great before bottling. You get that slight hint of watermelon as you swallow - perfect. I used 3 cups of juice. My only fear is that there may not be enough yeast to carb the bottles. I took the carboy out a full 24hrs before bottling to bring back to room temp and I even intentionally siphoned some yeast into the racking bucket to ensure some would mix in. Now all I can do is hope and wait for 3 weeks....

TxT

Primary # 1(tomorrow) - Imperial Oktoberfest
Primary # 2(tomorrow) - Pumpkin Ale
Secondary - none
Bottled - Watermelon Wheat
Enjoying - Graff's Apple Cider, Imperial Stout
Planning - Watermelon Cider, maybe another Graff's Apple - that was an awsome one

Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #140
lb81larry23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben the brewman View Post
thats about right for the og. the extra points comes from the watermelon juice that you add. im not sure exactly how many points that watermelon juice is but i tested some with my hydrometer and it said it was a 1.042. im sure this vaires very much from melon to melon, year to year, and locations too. i will change the og in the orginal recipe to correct this.
Its been two weeks and the primary is still burping about once every 10 seconds. The gravity is still dropping, measured 1.006 on 10/03. I think I will rack to secondary on Sunday 10/04 and add the juice with the primer. This brew going to Raiders vs. Jets. I found out how to open up a Sierra Nevada 5 gallon cylinder and then transport, and pump up with normal Bronco pump.

Quick Reply