Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #111
amishland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the inspiration and base recipe. this will be a yearly summer brew forever in my home brewery. I am no longer scared to make it 10 gallons at a time.

Update, my batch turned out great, every one loves it, very refreshing and just the right amount of watermelon. Although the secondary was quite pink when I racked into a keg the siphon was golden like a American Wheat should be. the trub left in secondary was pink as a jolly rancher though. Interesting that the watermelon juice must be heavier than my fermented wort.....

aroma was neutral, taste was fantastic, and the finish leaves a touch of watermelon flavor on your lips. I will post a pic of the final product as soon as I can remember, i am posting from work right now, and beer is in the keezer at home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #112
WhirlingBastard
Recipes 

I agree. Amishland brewed a hell of a great summer beer. I enjoyed the two pitchers we drank last night. I only wish it had been Friday.

I also plan on brewing this beer this Saturday. I was thinking about adding a touch of cinnamon to add just a hint of spice to the beer.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:19 AM   #113
fuzzybee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to be starting up a batch of this this weekend, using 5 lb of Wheat DME instead of LME.

I'm kegging - does anybody see any problem with me adding the watermelon juice to the keg, rather than to the secondary?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #114
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybee View Post
I'm kegging - does anybody see any problem with me adding the watermelon juice to the keg, rather than to the secondary?
That's what I did. Worked out fine and is delicious. Just need to give it a few pints as any solids in your juice will settle to the bottom and your first few pulls will be alarmingly pink

-Joe

Old 08-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #115
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybee View Post
I'm going to be starting up a batch of this this weekend, using 5 lb of Wheat DME instead of LME.

I personally racked off of the watermelon juice in my secondary. I did not want any fruit particles making there way into the final beer in the glass, and I didnt want my final product to be pinkish.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #116
FisherWoodcraft
Recipes 

Here's an early pull. No pink

-Joe

Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #117
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishland View Post
Thanks for the inspiration and base recipe. this will be a yearly summer brew forever in my home brewery. I am no longer scared to make it 10 gallons at a time.

Update, my batch turned out great, every one loves it, very refreshing and just the right amount of watermelon. Although the secondary was quite pink when I racked into a keg the siphon was golden like a American Wheat should be. the trub left in secondary was pink as a jolly rancher though. Interesting that the watermelon juice must be heavier than my fermented wort.....

aroma was neutral, taste was fantastic, and the finish leaves a touch of watermelon flavor on your lips. I will post a pic of the final product as soon as I can remember, i am posting from work right now, and beer is in the keezer at home.
awesome deal man sounds great. what yeast did you use for the brew. im gonna have to brew another batch up soon.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #118
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320)
NO Starter, fermented at 63 deg.

Last edited by amishland; 08-02-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added picture

Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #119
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I served homebrew (among other things) to a party of 40 for my son's 4th birthday party. The watermelon wheat was well received and created quite a buzz with people who don't normally like beer but were intruiged by the concept. They went through all of the beer (watermelon and otherwise) I had available to serve.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #120
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

awesome gnome glad to hear that. looks like this recipe is doing well.

Quick Reply