Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - watermelon wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #101
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I just found the hell or high watermelon at my local 'upscale' beer supplier yesterday. I bought the $10 six pack (sigh) under the disapproving eye of SWMBO. The commercial version is very good and very refreshing. Their watermelon aftertaste was very sweet and candy-like compared to my more mellow melon flavored homebrew. I immediately thought of the classic jolly-rancher flavor when I had the commercial brew. I think I will be looking into jolly ranchers next time around for the home brew version. It gave it a little more 'pep' than the homebrew... if that makes any sense.

N_G
It could be worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #102
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i agree the jolly ranchers are the way to go. since 1 jolly rancher is enough to carbonate 2 12oz bottles you can take 24 jolly ranchers and melt them down in some water just like priming sugar.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #103
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ben have you tasted the hell or high watermelon? If so, did you agree that there is a distinct jolly rancher flavor in it? Anyone else?

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #104
Brewme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been to the 21A and tasted this beer. I didn't think it had a jolly rancher flavor. They also claim to use fresh watermelons for that beer according to an interview on the brewing network. I have been wanting to do a watermelon wheat beer and will do blend of jolly ranchers and fresh watermelon this weekend.

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #105
Ducky
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
I have been to the 21A and tasted this beer. I didn't think it had a jolly rancher flavor. They also claim to use fresh watermelons for that beer according to an interview on the brewing network. I have been wanting to do a watermelon wheat beer and will do blend of jolly ranchers and fresh watermelon this weekend.
I went to 21A with my cousin and had a glass of the HORHW. I liked it so much, I bought a 6 pack and brought it home. Cracked one open when I got home, and it tasted noticeably different.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 AM   #106
amishland

Recipes 

I just racked onto 4.25cups of freshly squeezed watermelon juice tonight. I planned on leaving it in secondary for 7 days and then kegging it. Any one think I should leave longer or keg sooner?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #107
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
Ben have you tasted the hell or high watermelon? If so, did you agree that there is a distinct jolly rancher flavor in it? Anyone else?
i have never had any watermelon beer other than my own. i live in memphis and the beer selections here suck. i would love to try some sometime if i can find some.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #108
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishland View Post
I just racked onto 4.25cups of freshly squeezed watermelon juice tonight. I planned on leaving it in secondary for 7 days and then kegging it. Any one think I should leave longer or keg sooner?
7 days then going into a keg is fine. if you plan on bottling any i would wait longer.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #109
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
this beer recipe started as a fresh watermelon juice only but it has turned into a mix of both fresh and jolly rancher flavored over the times i have brewed it.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #110
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

As a note about the 21A hell or high watermelon beer.... it is canned in the midwest (Wisconsin, I think) not in San Francisco. I don't know if it is brewed in San Fran and travels to the midwest or if it is brewed in the midwest, but that might account for the different taste as apposed to the one from the 21A brew pub.

Also for what its worth: I left mine in secondary for 13 days. In the glass carboy, the secondary fermentation finished at around 6 days and the beer cleared beautifully at around 10 days.

N_G
It could be worse.

Quick Reply