Specialty Fruit Beer Unreinheitsgebot: Spiced buckwheat Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP380 Hefeweizen IV
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70F
Tasting Notes
See post
If you are looking for a twist on the Weizen style, look no further. The citrus from the orange and coriander goes very well with the clove/banana/vanilla of the weizen yeast and develops a complex aroma.

The taste is just as good, but the biscuity from the carawheat gives it a mellow taste, and the buckwheat adds complexity.. Although I am not exactly sure what the buckwheat contributes to this beer, I added it as an experiment and I think the other flavors overpowers it.

Batch size: 24.25L, Efficiency 80%

3kg Pale Ale malt (Frontenac)
1kg Wheat Malt (Gambrinus)
0.5kg CaraWheat (Weyerman)
0.5kg Unmalted Buckwheat

3/4 oz Cascade 6% @ 60 min
1/2 oz Crystal 4.1% @ 15 min
1/2 oz Crushed indian coriander seeds @ 10 min
Zest from 2 sevilla (bitter) oranges @ 5 min
1/2 oz Crystal 4.1% @ 0 min

Starter of WLP-380 (HefeWeizen IV)

Mash:
Single decoction mash procedure: While 60% of the mash rests at 122F, take 40% and bring to 150F for 30 minutes, then to 160F for 20 minutes and the to a boil for 20 minutes. Slowly put back into the main mash over the course of 10 minutes, which should bring everything to 150F. Let rest until iodine test is negative, then take to 160F for 20 minutes and then to mash out temp. Lauter, sparge, boil, chill, rack, keg/bottle, enjoy.

unrein-nice.png

Back