Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Toecutters Brewery Blood Orange Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default All-Grain - Toecutters Brewery Blood Orange Belgian Wit

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WPL-400
Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 13
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14@65dg
Tasting Notes: Nice smooth, Creamy head, easy to drink, summer beer

Ingredients:
9 Lbs 2 row
2 lbs Vienna
11 Lbs White Wheat
1/2 Lb Flaked Barley
1oz Cascade 5.5% @60 min
1oz Cascade 5.5% @ 10 Min
10 Blood oranges (or whatever you have)

Mash in 1.25 qts per pound of grain. 60 minutes at 151DG. Recirculate until wort runs clear. fly sparge for 30 minutes. boil 60 minutes adding hops at intervals as noted.
prepare blood oranges by slicing and scooping out the insides. Use a potato peeler to remove as much skin as possible. boil 1 qt water. cool to 180dg, add oranges, peel, and juice. prepare a hop bag. add orange pieces, and peel. Pour all this into the fermenter. Ferment for 14 days. the WPL-400 will produce a very active fermentation

cold crash for 2 days, keg, and carbonate to 3.5-4 volumes.

I just put this in the kegerator. Drinking it at day 22. i filtered this, most witts are unfiltered.

Smells slightly sour, but taste is not sour. very slight bittering, tapers to smoothness that slides right down the throat. nice mouth feel, nice creamy head

this is a wonderful beer. it will be a staple.

belgian.jpg  

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen
BiffBiffman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

belgian.jpg  

Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

timely post.. i was just discussing my wit plans for october (thinking ahead) and the blood orange idea came up. My recipe is a bit different but I am now sold on the blood orange. sounds delicious.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just pulled a glass of this from my latest batch. been aging/carbing for a month. nice beer. even the wife likes it

Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Picked up some blood oranges on a whim today, already had the ingredients for an Allagash White clone... thinking that I'll probably be doing this instead, looking forward to it!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
Picked up some blood oranges on a whim today, already had the ingredients for an Allagash White clone... thinking that I'll probably be doing this instead, looking forward to it!
a good choice. I was down to 1/2 keg so I brewed yesterday, first of the new year. I dropped 12 gallons of this into the fermenter with some fresh oranges off my tree. watch out for the WLP 400 yeast its very active. I just checked the fermentation chamber, I am locked on at 68 dg ferm temp and its erupting out of the blowoff tube like a volcano spewing Lava.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I'll be doing this with small substitutions, I've got the Wyeast Belgian Witbeir yeast on hand, and no Veinna so subbing Munich... also was thinking about subbing some Hallerteau... we'll see, it will be an adventure.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
UncleJohnnys
Recipes 

I got the ingredients to brew this today. Looks like a good one. Do you save peel, remove the "skin" between peel and the heart of the orange, then add it all to 180 Deg water? And do you put it in hop bag and add juice (using bag like strainer)to the fermenter or everything?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohnnys View Post
I got the ingredients to brew this today. Looks like a good one. Do you save peel, remove the "skin" between peel and the heart of the orange, then add it all to 180 Deg water? And do you put it in hop bag and add juice (using bag like strainer)to the fermenter or everything?
I have 10 gallons of this in the fermenter right now.

Heres how I do it. Boil about 2 quarts of water. cut oranges in half. scoop out insides with a spoon over a bowl to catch juice and pieces.when complete, use a good potato peeler to peel skins, takeing care to not get much of the white matter (pith),its bitter. The flavors and oils are in the peel.

Let water in pan sit a couple of minutes to cool slightly . Then dump all your orange stuff into the pan, let it soak a few minutes. then dump it all into the fermenter on top of you wort.

I have used a hop bag, but prefer not to so I get all the flavors mixed into the wort

Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
UncleJohnnys
Recipes 

Cool!!! Thanks for the quick reply....I'm doing this one today.

Quick Reply