Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Summer Citrus Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #101
smalltimebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Just scaled this recipe down for a one gallon batch and brewed it up last night. It's fermenting away in the closet and I can't wait to crack the first one open about a month from now. Think I'm in more danger of becoming addicted to brewing beer than drinking it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #102
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Made 10 gallons of this about three weeks ago, 5 gallons will be straight original recipe and the other 5 got 4 pounds of black raspberries in primary.

the color is great, much darker than I thought it would be. The aroma is beautiful and the beer has a residual berry sweetness that tasted very nice uncarbonated. I put the keg on the gas two days ago so by next week it should be carbed and ready to be properly evaluated. If the berry is too strong I might dry hop with a bit of cascade, maybe .5 ounce just to balance it out.

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #103
Chizult
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
Made 10 gallons of this about three weeks ago, 5 gallons will be straight original recipe and the other 5 got 4 pounds of black raspberries in primary.

the color is great, much darker than I thought it would be. The aroma is beautiful and the beer has a residual berry sweetness that tasted very nice uncarbonated. I put the keg on the gas two days ago so by next week it should be carbed and ready to be properly evaluated. If the berry is too strong I might dry hop with a bit of cascade, maybe .5 ounce just to balance it out.

Thanks for the recipe!
Let us know how that turns out. I'm thinking red raspberries next spring, after I try the original this summer. Did you do the orange peel and the raspberries? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #104
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizult View Post
Let us know how that turns out. I'm thinking red raspberries next spring, after I try the original this summer. Did you do the orange peel and the raspberries? Thanks!

so here is the black raspberry monster. i doubt it will ever clear out - I am going to try to save a six pack of it before I drink the entire keg myself.

I was worried there was too much residual sweetness when I kegged it but after conditioning for a little while it is really great. This is not a subtle raspberry flavor - it is large and very fragrant. I will make it again, I did not use orange peel in my original recipe as I didn't have it on hand.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #105
Chizult
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post

so here is the black raspberry monster. i doubt it will ever clear out - I am going to try to save a six pack of it before I drink the entire keg myself.

I was worried there was too much residual sweetness when I kegged it but after conditioning for a little while it is really great. This is not a subtle raspberry flavor - it is large and very fragrant. I will make it again, I did not use orange peel in my original recipe as I didn't have it on hand.
Wow! Monster is right...that's like drinking Grimace. I might have to go for just a couple pounds of raspberries. I'm just looking for a touch of color and flavor. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #106
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I did simmer the raspberries after freezing them, that might have set the color a bit too. I wanted to be sure I didn't ruin my beer. it is grimace like now that you mention it. But it is oh so good. I should have made a few more carboys worth. I would suggest a pound if you just want color.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #107
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

An update on this beer with the added raspberries - It is the best raspberry beer I have ever had. The carbonation balanced out any residual sweetness and there is none of the "fake raspberry" flavor that I get from many other raspberry beers(UFO comes to mind)

I do not think 4 pounds of berries is too much, I will be making 10 gallons in about a week and splitting it with a friend. Mine will get 4 pounds of blueberries.

The 5 gallons of by the book summer citrus wheat(minus orange peel) is also fantastic - I used us05 and it is still a bit cloudy but has a nice warm wheat character and a great hop profile that lets the grain come out.

I think this will be my base beer wheat for any fruit wheat beers in the future.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long-draw-salt-water-chilled-beer-tower-271578/

Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #108
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Making a mango version of this one. I took out the bitter orange peel and using zythos hops (out of citra) for the last two hop additions and add 1oz at flame out to get some mango aromas from the hops. Can't wait for this one to finish. I got 10lbs mangos in the freezer waiting for the secondary.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #109
grssmnperez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199q
I made this one with TwoHeadsBrewing this weekend. I made the extract version. it looks pretty good! I cant wait to try it out.
What was your extract recipe?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #110
grssmnperez
Recipes 

I had this recipe converted. Hope it comes out ok.

Quick Reply