Alternative Grain Beer Strong Red Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1008 German Ale
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none.
Tasting Notes
Below
10# 2-row Breiss
1# German Crystal Rye
1# Crystal 50L
.5# Rice Hulls

1oz East Kent Goldings (60)min Boil
1.5oz Hallertau Hersbrucher (20)min Boil

Wyeast 1008

Mashed at 1.25qt/lb
Strike water at 175 for dough in at 155. Had a 3 deg temp drop in 1 hour which I was not happy with. I didnt preheat my MLT for long enough I guess.
Sparged with one batch sparge of 3.75 gallons @ 180, no Mash out.

After Primary I cold crashed it for 2 days at 36. I think this could of benefited from a much longer lagering.

Bottled and carbonated a total of 4.5 Gallons after trub loss with 3.5oz Dextrose dissolved in 1 cup boiled water. For a carb level of 2.75 vol/L

This beer turned out very very nice. I stored at about 65 for 3 weeks before sampling and it is fully aged and doesnt taste green but I think the alcohol is almost a little hot still. Next time I brew this I will be cutting back to 8# 2-row. Also, next time I would increase the 20 min hop addition to a full 2oz instead of 1.5, the taste of the rye almost fully covers the hop flavor and it is almost non existent.
PC190008.JPG

I know the lighting is kind of red but the beer is actually very red.
PC190009.JPG

I've been looking for a nice strong Rye Red Ale how would you say the head on this one was? It doesn't look like there was any considering how high you poured it in the last.
The only experience I've had with rye making Kentucky Common. Don't know if it creates a nice head like wheat does. You have any suggestions for this one I really think I might Brew this next after my next after my Munich Dunkel gets out of lagering

Back