Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Simple Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #251
OHStone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Plan on making this my second batch ever, has anyone done this as a partial boil yet? I don't have the equipment for a full boil and after searching the thread haven't seen anyone with results from a partial boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #252
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHStone View Post
Plan on making this my second batch ever, has anyone done this as a partial boil yet? I don't have the equipment for a full boil and after searching the thread haven't seen anyone with results from a partial boil.
I brew a hefe very similar to this using a partial boil - no problem at all. It's one of my favorites.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #253
Branson53
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHStone View Post
I did this one as a partial boil for my second batch ever last summer. Its really simple and it turned out very good. I followed the recipe exactly, just with the partial boil.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #254
scrub0bk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

quick question on the yeast, i'm not sure my local supply has the Danstar Munich yeast, but i saw i could possibly do the wyeast 3086 instead.

First time with dry yeast though, do i have do anything special? or is it just like the wyest in where i would just pitch it into the fermenter when cool? Looking forward to trying this along side one of my other brews, since this is a very simple and cheap recipe and is getting wonderful reviews

Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #255
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub0bk View Post
quick question on the yeast, i'm not sure my local supply has the Danstar Munich yeast, but i saw i could possibly do the wyeast 3086 instead.

First time with dry yeast though, do i have do anything special? or is it just like the wyest in where i would just pitch it into the fermenter when cool? Looking forward to trying this along side one of my other brews, since this is a very simple and cheap recipe and is getting wonderful reviews
You should make a good hefeweizen with that yeast. However make a starter if you use liquid. Dry yeast usually is just fine without a starter.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #256
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here http://www.mashspargeboil.com/why-you-should-bother-and-how-to-rehydrate-dry-yeast/ is a good article on the benefits of rehydrating dry yeast. Dr. Cone seems to favor rehydrating, but homebrewers seem to be split on whether it's worthwhile.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #257
garvinator70
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER
5 lbs. Briess Bavarian wheat DME 8 oz. Carahell 1 oz. Tettnanger (4%) Danstar Munich Steep grains for 20 min. @ 155f. Bring to boil and add 2 lbs. extract and Tettnanger hops. Add 3 lbs. extract with 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Ferment for 10 days, keg at about 4 volumes (or bottle) and enjoy. (Full boil recommended). Nothing fancy here, just a very easy and quick Hefe that manages to disappear rapidly. It's almost too simple to post but My friends and I dig this beer so much I figured it might be worth sharing. Fermenting in the mid 60's makes for a very clean American style Hefe but my last batch fermented around 70 and is much closer to a true Bavarian style. This yeast has always fermented very vigorously for me so use a blowoff tube. Enjoy
how much is the ABV?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #258
bribuzz83
Recipes 

Would I still need a blowoff tube if I plan on using a 7.9g plastic bucket for primary?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #259
sirsleepy
Recipes 

Default introduction

Hello all

I saw this post and was feeling a little bad for not joining sooner, as this is my favorite beer!
So this is my first post here an i hope it helps someone, as have many of your posts helped me learn this craft!

Here is my take on this simple recipie, been brewing this for over a year now with various hops and yeast and this is the best to my tastebuds!

4.4 lbs wheat dme
30 min boil with
.25 oz magnum 30 min
.25 oz centenial or amarillo @10 min
.25 oz centenial or amarillo @ 180 degrees
wb-06 yeast
1.040 og, 1.010 fg
process....partial boil, cool in cold bath top off to 5.25 gallons
pitch yeast at 62 degrees and ferment in the basement a constant ambient temp of 62.
here's the trick, use wb-o6 and bottle it at 5 days! i think this locks in the bannana clove flavor. condition and serve......i like it almost immediatly, but it,s a little better after week or more in the bottle.
light and tasty.....reminds me of my tour in germany!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #260
Dozzi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just curios what liquid yeast out of this four would you recommend.
Wyeast 3068 (Weihenst. wheat)
Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian wheat)
Wyeast 3333 (German wheat)
Wyeast 3056(Bavarian wheat blend)

Quick Reply