Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Simple Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #241
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I'm brewed my second batch of this yesterday. I use Wyeast 3068 and 6, instead of 5, pounds of DME, but otherwise I stuck to it. Quick, easy, and tasty recipe!

Edit: scratch that. I topped off with some water to bring the volume up to 5.5 gallons and I ended up hitting the gravity on the head at 1.045.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #242
RealLyte
Recipes 

Just did this recipe and ended up at 1.00 fg...

Extract 5gal Brewer
In bottle:
BB Russian imperial stout, BB Belgian golden ale, BB Belgian Saison, Simple Hefe, Black cherry BB English brown ale
In fermenter:
BB Pumpkin Porter

Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #243
Larzean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Planning on brewing this today, sticking to the original other than the extract 6.6LME. If using a 6.5g ale pail will I need a blowoff? Will be away for the weekend so don't want to come home to a mess!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #244
RealLyte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzean View Post
Planning on brewing this today, sticking to the original other than the extract 6.6LME. If using a 6.5g ale pail will I need a blowoff? Will be away for the weekend so don't want to come home to a mess!
I highly recommend a blowoff tube.

Extract 5gal Brewer
In bottle:
BB Russian imperial stout, BB Belgian golden ale, BB Belgian Saison, Simple Hefe, Black cherry BB English brown ale
In fermenter:
BB Pumpkin Porter

Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #245
nymtber
Recipes 

I'll be brewing batch #2 of this, brewed it last year as well. Turned out DELICIOUS, a coworker who went to germany a few years ago commented that it was as good as anything he had over there!

Last year:
6lbs Muntons Wheat DME
1/2lb Carapils steeped for 20-30 minutes (I forgot, and its the ONE batch I didn't write down...)
1 oz tetnanger hops
Wyeast 3068

This year:
6lbs Muntons Wheat DME
3/4lb Carafoam will steep for 30 minutes or so while I set up everything else (steep inside)
1 oz tetnanger
White Labs WLP300 (brewshop didnt have 3068)

I went with carafoam just for the heck of it, last year had good head but I figure a little more won't hurt, its a Hefe, they are supposed to have lots of head that stays around

I will say this, I bottle (kegging is not an option right now) and after 2 weeks in the bottle, it starts to get drank up and won't last long at all. My younger brother loves it, my co-worker loves it. I sure as heck love it! I doubt it will make it to Thanksgiving, honestly Its a hefe, its meant to be drank as fresh as possible!

As good as it turns out, Hefe is one thing I will likely always brew Extract. So simple, and so delicious.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #246
twofocused
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've only had it in the bottle 2 weeks and its so good. I have to beat my brew buddy off of it with a stick.

Apfelwein is f'ing amazing!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #247
twofocused
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofocused View Post
I've only had it in the bottle 2 weeks and its so good. I have to beat my brew buddy off of it with a stick.
It's a month old now and it's still amazing and only getting better. It has cleared and doesn't look like a wheat beer now.

Anyone extract brewer on the fence about this should brew two batches and let them sit for at least one month. When you give them out people will quickly ask you to brew more.

Thanks to the OP for the recipe and the yeast has a beautiful banana favor to it.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #248
norrisk66
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great recipe- I have 2 tap handles and I think this might be permanently 1 of them.

I have brewed this twice now- and stuck closely to the same method with smack-paks of the Wyeast 3068.

First time I dumped the pak straight in. I didn't use a blowoff tube, and had a gigantic mess in my fridge during fermentation.

Second time, I made a 1/3 cup light DME yeast starter. I also used a blowoff tube, and had a far-less active fermentation. No blow by at all in my blowoff bucket.

Both times @ 68F.

Just an observation- seems like the vigorous activity occurs during yeast replication-as in my first batch with a yeast count around 1 billion cells @ pitching.

"I like all beers. There are a few that I love more than others..."

Institute for Brewing and Distilling General Certificate Recipient 2013-Chilled and Filtered Beer

Homebrewing since 1993

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #249
WolfPlayer
Recipes 

I brewed this as my first solo beer. I usually do all grain with a buddy who has a homemade mash tun. I modified the recipe by using 1/2lb carapils + 1/2lb honey malt steeping at 155 for 1/2hr. Some Irish moss with 15min left. I added 2lb of honey with 2 min left in the boil. I did a full boil. Saaz hops. Used the WLP300. Left it in primary for 2 weeks. OG was 1.063. Final gravity was 1.014. Will let sit in secondary and bottle next weekend. Took a nip from the hydrometer tube and really liked it.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #250
twofocused
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

5 weeks and its all gone =(

Thanks to the op for a simple tasty recipe.

Quick Reply