Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Simple Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #231
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubie View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I've learned a lot already reading everything I can about brewing. My first official brew was this Simple Hefeweizen. I cracked open my first bottle today (7 days old). WOW! Very nice! Smooth, flavorful, very little bitter aftertaste. Just like everyone else has said- I will definitely be brewing this one again! I think I need to give it more time in the bottle to increase the carbonation. It was real bubbly but then flattened before I finished it. Thanks for the great recipe! What a nice start to my brewing experience. Next up is the Belgian Tripel!
Excellent! It'll get better in a few weeks, but drink it fast! Welcome to the brewing community!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #232
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubie View Post
Next up is the Belgian Tripel!
which tripel are you thinking of? i've been enjoying tripels lately, and a dubbel is almost ready to drink...
-bill

Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #233
loubie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to try this one- Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone). I've tried some Tripels from our Total Wine store (awesome selection!) so I want to try to make one. I may also try this quad later- Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - if there is an extract version. I love this beer! Have you made any that you like?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #234
nymtber
Recipes 

I have been drinking my "simple hefeweizen" brew since...sept now. VERY good, will absolutely brew this again! I gave a 6 pack to a guy I work with that went to Germany last fall, coming back with a love for hefe. He said he felt my homebrew was better and fresher (obviously) than what we have available here, which is actually a good selection.

I will, needless to say, be making this again come spring. Not before I make Kolsch again

Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #235
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

loubie, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try that one in 2013. Haven't done a tripel, but last night I bottled my dubbel (Northern Brewer kit, decided to try one of theirs). Tasted nice without carbonation.
-bill

Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #236
454k30
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Just brewed a dead simple hefe today. I added a half pound of carafoam to see if that helps with head retention at all; mostly I was just curious what would happen.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #237
horsepackage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Today marks day 10 in the fermenter. Racking to the keg tonight. Can't wait to taste this.. Cheers!!!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #238
TomTwanks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER
5 lbs. Briess Bavarian wheat DME

8 oz. Carahell

1 oz. Tettnanger (4%)

Danstar Munich

Steep grains for 20 min. @ 155f. Bring to boil and add 2 lbs. extract and Tettnanger hops. Add 3 lbs. extract with 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Ferment for 10 days, keg at about 4 volumes (or bottle) and enjoy. (Full boil recommended). Nothing fancy here, just a very easy and quick Hefe that manages to disappear rapidly. It's almost too simple to post but My friends and I dig this beer so much I figured it might be worth sharing. Fermenting in the mid 60's makes for a very clean American style Hefe but my last batch fermented around 70 and is much closer to a true Bavarian style. This yeast has always fermented very vigorously for me so use a blowoff tube. Enjoy
Hey, thanks for the recipe. I used something similar but 6# wheat dme, a little different steeping grains and wlp 380 ( American hefe ale). I was thinking of doing a twist with dry hopping it with mosaic and citra. Think this will be good? I was gonna use 2 oz, not sure it that's too much or if that would be great!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #239
horsepackage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Only been carbing in the keg for 5 days... I couldn't wait any longer.. amazing light wheat taste.. not fully carbed yet on my end but what a fantastic, easy, cheap brew.. this will always be on one of my taps year round.. cheers

Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #240
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I'm deffinitely gonna make this one. I'm changeing the carahell for honey malt and I might add some honey to the kettle, not sure yet.

-Kingboomer

Quick Reply