Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Simple Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
thornton33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, If I hadn't already purchased the grains I would've given the 50/50 C20 and Carahells a try. As it is, do you think the grains/ratios I've mentioned will produce a similar brew to your recipe? How do you suppose they would differ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton33 View Post
Well, If I hadn't already purchased the grains I would've given the 50/50 C20 and Carahells a try. As it is, do you think the grains/ratios I've mentioned will produce a similar brew to your recipe? How do you suppose they would differ?
I think 4 oz. of C20 will produce a similar outcome and the carapils will give you a nice thick head and good lacing. Certainly not a bad thing in a Hefe. Lots of folks don't use steeping grains in extract Hefe's at all but I like the added color/flavor and foam stability. I think your choice of grains will make a solid brew.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
cd38
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just got back from homebrew shop, with ingredients you used. Gonna brew it this week sometime cant wait, I will let you know how it goes

Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
Valcarde
Recipes 

A quick question.

Full boil recommended. If being forced to use a smaller boil kettle (14 liters at best, with 12 liters being 3 gallons) do I just boil the full DME in the 3 gallons of water, hop it up, etc, and add 2 gallons of water, or literally split the ingredients in half and do two 2.5 gallon boils?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
HOOTER
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcarde View Post
A quick question.

Full boil recommended. If being forced to use a smaller boil kettle (14 liters at best, with 12 liters being 3 gallons) do I just boil the full DME in the 3 gallons of water, hop it up, etc, and add 2 gallons of water, or literally split the ingredients in half and do two 2.5 gallon boils?
I'd probably just add 1 lb. of extract at the beginning of the boil and the rest with 5-10 minutes remaining. You can top off the fermenter with the remaining water to get to 5 gallons.

Quote:

Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
david_the_greek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shoot, I had some nice grains that I was going to steep with my hefe I should have made a few weeks ago! I'm finally am getting around to it and am going to just toss what I got out :-(. I guess I'll just have to go with the extracts this time.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks, this recipe sounds great for a newbie like me!

Anyone got pictures of it?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
thornton33
Recipes 

So my OG was 1.044 and FG wound up being 1.012-1.013 (target FG was 1.010). Is this going to drastically affect my brew? Also, it came out quite a bit darker than your picture because I did a 2 gallon boil and I didn't do the late addition extract. My ferm temp was about 70 (at your suggestion). When I tasted the residual in the bottling bucket it seemed like sweet banana. I wasn't getting much clove, but it was close to room temp. Thoughts, suggestions for future Hefe's?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #19
HOOTER
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton33 View Post
So my OG was 1.044 and FG wound up being 1.012-1.013 (target FG was 1.010). Is this going to drastically affect my brew? Also, it came out quite a bit darker than your picture because I did a 2 gallon boil and I didn't do the late addition extract. My ferm temp was about 70 (at your suggestion). When I tasted the residual in the bottling bucket it seemed like sweet banana. I wasn't getting much clove, but it was close to room temp. Thoughts, suggestions for future Hefe's?
Your gravity is pretty much spot on. A point or two here and there really won't make much of a difference. The darker color is standard for partial boils, although the late addition would have helped a bit. No worries, it should end up being a very drinkable beer. Let me know how it is after a few weeks in the bottle and a nice chill down in the refer.

Quote:

Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
txcoyote2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
Not sure about the blackberries. Not really my thing although I'm all for experimenting. Maybe someone with more experience brewing with fruit can comment.

Authenticity aside, bittering hops are not crucial as long as you get around the right AA%. I've brewed this with crystal 10L and Mt. Hood hops and the outcome was pretty much the same. I just prefer to use German ingredients for authenticity sake.
I went ahead and made a batch with the Saaz hops I had on hand. I racked it over six pounds of blackberries last week. The full five gallons didn't fit in my fermenter with the berries, so I bottled a six-pack. There was about a half bottle left over, and I don't like to bottle partials, so I had to drink it. Bummer, I know. The hefe's great, and I'll likely make it again without the blackberries. After I bottle the part that's with the blackberries, I'll let you know how it turns out. I have high hopes.

Quick Reply