Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Simple Hefeweizen

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
thornton33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laklenad, FL
Posts: 24
Default


Well, If I hadn't already purchased the grains I would've given the 50/50 C20 and Carahells a try. As it is, do you think the grains/ratios I've mentioned will produce a similar brew to your recipe? How do you suppose they would differ?

__________________
thornton33 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
HOOTER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,854
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton33 View Post
Well, If I hadn't already purchased the grains I would've given the 50/50 C20 and Carahells a try. As it is, do you think the grains/ratios I've mentioned will produce a similar brew to your recipe? How do you suppose they would differ?
I think 4 oz. of C20 will produce a similar outcome and the carapils will give you a nice thick head and good lacing. Certainly not a bad thing in a Hefe. Lots of folks don't use steeping grains in extract Hefe's at all but I like the added color/flavor and foam stability. I think your choice of grains will make a solid brew.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious
HOOTER is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
cd38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dallas,Texas
Posts: 218
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


Just got back from homebrew shop, with ingredients you used. Gonna brew it this week sometime cant wait, I will let you know how it goes

__________________
cd38 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
Valcarde
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 159
Default


A quick question.

Full boil recommended. If being forced to use a smaller boil kettle (14 liters at best, with 12 liters being 3 gallons) do I just boil the full DME in the 3 gallons of water, hop it up, etc, and add 2 gallons of water, or literally split the ingredients in half and do two 2.5 gallon boils?

__________________
Valcarde is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
HOOTER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,854
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcarde View Post
A quick question.

Full boil recommended. If being forced to use a smaller boil kettle (14 liters at best, with 12 liters being 3 gallons) do I just boil the full DME in the 3 gallons of water, hop it up, etc, and add 2 gallons of water, or literally split the ingredients in half and do two 2.5 gallon boils?
I'd probably just add 1 lb. of extract at the beginning of the boil and the rest with 5-10 minutes remaining. You can top off the fermenter with the remaining water to get to 5 gallons.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious
HOOTER is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
david_the_greek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 245
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Shoot, I had some nice grains that I was going to steep with my hefe I should have made a few weeks ago! I'm finally am getting around to it and am going to just toss what I got out :-(. I guess I'll just have to go with the extracts this time.

__________________
david_the_greek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,100
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Thanks, this recipe sounds great for a newbie like me!

Anyone got pictures of it?

__________________
elproducto is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
thornton33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laklenad, FL
Posts: 24
Default


So my OG was 1.044 and FG wound up being 1.012-1.013 (target FG was 1.010). Is this going to drastically affect my brew? Also, it came out quite a bit darker than your picture because I did a 2 gallon boil and I didn't do the late addition extract. My ferm temp was about 70 (at your suggestion). When I tasted the residual in the bottling bucket it seemed like sweet banana. I wasn't getting much clove, but it was close to room temp. Thoughts, suggestions for future Hefe's?

__________________
thornton33 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #19
HOOTER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,854
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton33 View Post
So my OG was 1.044 and FG wound up being 1.012-1.013 (target FG was 1.010). Is this going to drastically affect my brew? Also, it came out quite a bit darker than your picture because I did a 2 gallon boil and I didn't do the late addition extract. My ferm temp was about 70 (at your suggestion). When I tasted the residual in the bottling bucket it seemed like sweet banana. I wasn't getting much clove, but it was close to room temp. Thoughts, suggestions for future Hefe's?
Your gravity is pretty much spot on. A point or two here and there really won't make much of a difference. The darker color is standard for partial boils, although the late addition would have helped a bit. No worries, it should end up being a very drinkable beer. Let me know how it is after a few weeks in the bottle and a nice chill down in the refer.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious
HOOTER is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
txcoyote2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 79339
Posts: 28
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
Not sure about the blackberries. Not really my thing although I'm all for experimenting. Maybe someone with more experience brewing with fruit can comment.

Authenticity aside, bittering hops are not crucial as long as you get around the right AA%. I've brewed this with crystal 10L and Mt. Hood hops and the outcome was pretty much the same. I just prefer to use German ingredients for authenticity sake.
I went ahead and made a batch with the Saaz hops I had on hand. I racked it over six pounds of blackberries last week. The full five gallons didn't fit in my fermenter with the berries, so I bottled a six-pack. There was about a half bottle left over, and I don't like to bottle partials, so I had to drink it. Bummer, I know. The hefe's great, and I'll likely make it again without the blackberries. After I bottle the part that's with the blackberries, I'll let you know how it turns out. I have high hopes.
__________________
txcoyote2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Hefeweizen Baron von BeeGee Wheat and Rye Beer 15 01-27-2011 04:06 AM
All-Grain - Meathead Hefeweizen mhot55 Wheat and Rye Beer 0 08-07-2009 01:39 AM
Rye hefeweizen Ryanh1801 Wheat and Rye Beer 5 07-13-2009 03:14 AM
All-Grain - Klaiberhaus Hefeweizen ohiobrewtus Wheat and Rye Beer 2 07-08-2008 05:18 PM
Laubmeister Hefeweizen Ó Flannagáin Wheat and Rye Beer 0 10-30-2007 03:54 PM