Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
bailiff48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default All-Grain - Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1007 German Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 D @ 65 deg
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Tasting Notes: Taste is almost dead on to Sam Adams Summer Ale.

5 lb Pilsen (36 ppg 1 L)
3.5 lb Wheat (38 ppg 2 L)
.5 lb CaraPils (33 ppg 1.5 L)
1 lb Wheat - Flaked (36 ppg 2 L)

Strike with 3.8 gallons @ 162 (desired rest at 152)
Sparge with 4.2 gallons @ 170

1.5 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 60
1 oz Grains of Paradise @ 15
1 oz Lemon Zest @ 15
1 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 5

Pitch yeast and ferment for 14 days. Bottle condition and carbonate with 4 oz of corn sugar.

Taste is almost dead on to Sam Adams Summer Ale. Carbonation was a little low, probably will up to 4.5 oz next time I brew it. I've had lots of compliments on this one and I'm very happy with it. Definitely keeping this recipe on top for the spring when I'm ready to brew a summer ale again.

If you go for this, let me know. I'd be interested to see how it turns out for someone else!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am actually, hopefully, going to try and make this recipe as my very first batch. Loved Brooklyn Summer Ale all summer and am having a hard time finding a clone all grain for that one but I know the Sam Adams is pretty close. Looking forward to it but it will be a little while before I get to it as I am currently gathering kettles and wort chillers and such at this point. So I am assuming overall you liked the batch you made. I saw the note about upping sugar to 4.5 instead of 4. Any other suggestions at this point?

Paul

Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
bailiff48
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
I am actually, hopefully, going to try and make this recipe as my very first batch. Loved Brooklyn Summer Ale all summer and am having a hard time finding a clone all grain for that one but I know the Sam Adams is pretty close. Looking forward to it but it will be a little while before I get to it as I am currently gathering kettles and wort chillers and such at this point. So I am assuming overall you liked the batch you made. I saw the note about upping sugar to 4.5 instead of 4. Any other suggestions at this point?

Paul
Yeah, I liked it a lot! Unfortunately we lost some due to an errant hyperactive dog! I have not had the Brooklyn Summer Ale, so don't know how the flavors differ, but if it is close, finding the missing component shouldn't be too terribly difficult. At this point (about 2-3 months removed from brewing), I wouldn't change anything aside from the priming sugar. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it goes when you are able to brew it, particularly if you adjust it somehow!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I will definitely let you know how it turns out but I won't be adjusting anything. This is my very first adventure into beer making so I will be doing it with a friend. If he changes the recipe that's one thing. I have made wine from kits and mead from scratch myself. Really looking forward to this.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Cabbie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

which white labs yeast would you use as substitute?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Are you sure you added 1 OZ. of grains of paradise ?
Other recipes I have seen only add a few grams.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
jpinachio
Recipes 

Default pilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff48 View Post
5 lb Pilsen (36 ppg 1 L)
3.5 lb Wheat (38 ppg 2 L)
.5 lb CaraPils (33 ppg 1.5 L)
1 lb Wheat - Flaked (36 ppg 2 L)

Strike with 3.8 gallons @ 162 (desired rest at 152)
Sparge with 4.2 gallons @ 170

1.5 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 60
1 oz Grains of Paradise @ 15
1 oz Lemon Zest @ 15
1 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 5

Pitch yeast and ferment for 14 days. Bottle condition and carbonate with 4 oz of corn sugar.

Taste is almost dead on to Sam Adams Summer Ale. Carbonation was a little low, probably will up to 4.5 oz next time I brew it. I've had lots of compliments on this one and I'm very happy with it. Definitely keeping this recipe on top for the spring when I'm ready to brew a summer ale again.

If you go for this, let me know. I'd be interested to see how it turns out for someone else!
By 5# Pilsen, do you mean Pilsner?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
jpinachio
Recipes 

Default Pilsen

By 5# Pilsen, Do you mean Pilsner? What kind? Recipe looks awesome!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well the reports are in on the Summer Ale clone. So far so good. Even I like it. I don't think it is an exact match but I think we are in the neighborhood overall. One of my taste testers came back and said she would give it about a 7-8 overall. Another said he would like to drink a lot of it. I liked it too. I would agree about a 7 overall. But we had problems making it so I attribute that to our problems. Turns out I was shorted a little bit on each of the grains by about 1/4 to 1/2 pound so we made up the difference with some grains that he had. Also we misjudged the liquid levels and had to add about a 1/2 gallon of water while it was fermenting. He only got a little less that 4.5 gallons of wort initially. And that was my comment on flavor. I thought it was there but it is a lighter flavor than I was hoping for, but like I said, fairly good overall. I am pleased overall and am now going to try and make my own on my own all by myself now. Thinking of making an Irish Red. We shall see how it goes.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
BlackDogBrewhouse
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I know this thread has been inactive for a little now, but I did this recipe so I thought I'd comment. I brewed a few weeks ago, bottled two weeks ago, and had my first taste today, and it was almost spot on! Mine was a little too lemony, but that's because I only eyeballed how much lemon zest I had made. Also, there may be a typo in the recipe. It says 1 oz Grains of Paradise, and maybe it should say 1 gram? At my LHBS they sell it by the gram for $1/g, so 1 oz would cost $28. I used the 1g bag and like I said, almost right on.
Anyway, I really recommend this recipe. This was my first AG and I only hit 63% efficiency, but still, very good. If you Like SA Summer Ale, go for it!

Black Dog Brewing Co.
Primary 1 / Primary 2: Black Dog Pale Ale / Black Dog Amber Ale
Secondary 1 / Secondary 2: Empty
Conditioning: Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Barrel Stout
Keg 1 / Keg 2: Black Dog Pale Ale / Black Dog Belgian Red Ale

Quick Reply