Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Rye Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default All-Grain - Rye Pale Ale

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WY1068
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 35
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): none
Tasting Notes: Pleasingly hoppy and dry pale ale

this is one of my most popular grain bills. It really keeps the body light, no cloying sweetness at all and it lets the hops shine right through. This is a fantastic beer for spring summer, this is why I am posting it now. The fuggles and goldings midboil provide a pine/herbal/woody hop flavor that remains in the beer after months of aging. Well after the dry hops have faded out.

7.5# 2 Row
1# Munich
2.25# Rye
.5# Victory

1oz magnum 60
1 oz Fuggle 30
.50 Goldings 20
.50 goldings 10
1oz Cascade FO
1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz columbus dry hop
Mash at 154
Wyeast 1068 (or whatever you like)

Old 04-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Thanks for posting. I like your grainbill, I will definitely try this. Have you ever had Sierra Nevada's ruthless rye?

I like the midboil fuggles and golding. I was leaning towards using chinook, but think it might be too much overpowering the rye. That's why I keep wanting to put some amber malt in to balance it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobhat View Post
Thanks for posting. I like your grainbill, I will definitely try this. Have you ever had Sierra Nevada's ruthless rye?

I like the midboil fuggles and golding. I was leaning towards using chinook, but think it might be too much overpowering the rye. That's why I keep wanting to put some amber malt in to balance it.

I do like the ruthless rye, but I am not a fan of the trend or almost obligation, for any rye beer to be amber. I find that even 20-30 percent rye does not yield an amber color to the beer.

I think ruthless is brava, citra and chinook but to me it is really dry and really bitter, even for a sierra nevada offering. The medium xtal and roasted malts they use make the effect even more dramatic. IMO, if you are going to go through the effort to appropriately grind and mash rye, I don't like to hide it behind a bunch of dark crystal and roasted malts.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 276

makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Jonathanquist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 49

money gonna brew this soon......probably this weekend it is a fantastic grain bill

Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
rs3902
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I think I'm going to try this as my first all grain batch! So here's a rookie question: did you just mash all the grain together at 154? And for how long? Also, at what point does the dry hop addition happen? Is it in a secondary fermentor a week later? This beer sounds great, I hope I can make it work!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
BeerChef17
Recipes 

This recipe looks awesome. I'm adding it to my list of upcoming brews since I've been on the hunt for a nice rye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3902 View Post
I think I'm going to try this as my first all grain batch! So here's a rookie question: did you just mash all the grain together at 154? And for how long? Also, at what point does the dry hop addition happen? Is it in a secondary fermentor a week later? This beer sounds great, I hope I can make it work!
Yes all the grain is mashed together at 154 (your strike temp will be higher than this). I would assume the mash is 60m. You can dry hop in the secondary or primary as long as fermentation is finished. I believe OP dry hopped for 7 days.

Just plugged this into my beer smith. Do you have the %AA on your hops? With the default values i'm getting 75.7 IBU for a full boil

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Bonanza Weizen, Coffee Stout, Flying Dog IPA Clone, Momma K's Kream Ale

Next up: Smokey the Bear Honey Porter

Planning: Godzilla IIPA (Citrillo IIPA)

Old 07-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerChef17 View Post
This recipe looks awesome. I'm adding it to my list of upcoming brews since I've been on the hunt for a nice rye.

Yes all the grain is mashed together at 154 (your strike temp will be higher than this). I would assume the mash is 60m. You can dry hop in the secondary or primary as long as fermentation is finished. I believe OP dry hopped for 7 days.

Just plugged this into my beer smith. Do you have the %AA on your hops? With the default values i'm getting 75.7 IBU for a full boil

Thats a mighty high IBU, sounds like maybe you have the dry hops calculated in the boil somehow. I can get the AA% when i get in from work tonight for you, no problem.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
DasSchlebach
Recipes 

I'm assuming this is for a 5 gallon yield?

I've been looking into the rye grain lately and trying to find ways to incorporate into my preferences of brewing, I like hoppy beers, and this pale ale bill seems really good. Does the rye give off a heavy amber color in this particular recipe?

Primary: Dunkelweizen Fraken-Beer
Secondary: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Cali Common W/Tangerines

Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasSchlebach View Post
I'm assuming this is for a 5 gallon yield?

I've been looking into the rye grain lately and trying to find ways to incorporate into my preferences of brewing, I like hoppy beers, and this pale ale bill seems really good. Does the rye give off a heavy amber color in this particular recipe?
Not an amber color it all. This is a very pale, crisp, clean and dry ale.

Quick Reply