Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Rhubarb Rye

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
jtratcliff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

aww man... 1/2 a keg? That hurts. Gotta be evil spirits.... `Course erebody knows them haints don't like the rhubarb.

I have indeed been sampling the latest batch. I have to say, I think 3 lbs might be better than 5. Still plenty of upfront rhubarb tartness but much less vegetal aftertaste. The aftertaste is still there slightly but much less prevalent than I recall from last year. The stronger vanilla at bottling has mellowed and I haven't really noticed it.

All in all a nice refreshing summer beer. But not if you don't care for rhubarb. It's definitely a rhubarb rye, not a rye beer with some rhubarb flavor.

I almost took a photo the other day to post here but thought I'd wait for it to clear a little more. It's been in the bottle only since 6/30.

My notes show: pitched yeast 6/5, racked onto rhubarb 6/11, bottled 6/30

I'm saving some for an Oktoberfest party. So this time I'll have a little better idea how the rhubarb flavor holds up after few of months.

How's they rhubarb flavor on yours? Did the steep bring it out? Curious whether you get a "cooked" taste or not. Next time I think I'm just gonna run the stalks through a juicer. All the Chopping and freezing and then losing a ton of finished beer to the rhubarb trub... Gotta be an easier way

Last edited by jtratcliff; 07-24-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: mistyped date for pitching yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
squarepeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One final note here for anyone who may stumble across this thread. Do NOT puree rhubarb. Let alone that those stringy threads catch in every valve and other piece of equipment, the last gallon of this batch was sludge. It's tough to get fruit into a carboy, but don't give in to short cuts. On a positive note, v2 is in the primary.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
squarepeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Jtratcliff, My apologies, I just now saw your response. My batch was delicious. The volume I was able to harvest after some accidents was hugely popular on a family vacation. Not a drop survived.

I'm working to improve the recipe a bit by adding honey malt, crystal 60 and upping the rye. I brewed last weekend, but only have about 3 pounds of rhubarb to add to the secondary. Hoping to still have the pronounced rhubarb flavor at that volume as you experienced.

Cheers!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
jtratcliff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Glad to hear that your almost-lost-batch was a hit. I found that my 3 lbs of Rhubarb were plenty. Still loads of rhubarb flavor 4 months later. And my recipe has double the rye you gave for your version 1, so I think you have room to tinker with the rye amounts to find your sweet spot.

I'd be interested to hear what you think honey malt brings to party when you taste v2. Rhubarb is so distinct, I wonder of the honey flavor can peak through. I don't really notice the vanilla in mine.

Quick Reply