Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Rhubarb Rye

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
jtratcliff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Rhubarb Rye

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 22.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 65 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 65F
Tasting Notes: nice tartness from the rhubarb complements the mild spiciness of the rye

Fermentables

Total grain: 13.000 lb
Name Amount % Color
2 Row 7.000 lb 54% 2.0 srm
Rye Malt 3.000 lb 23% 5.0 srm
Munich 1.500 lb 12% 9.0 srm
Carared 1.000 lb 8% 20.0 srm
Special B 8.000 oz 4% 160.0 srm

Hops

Name Alpha Amount Time IBU
Fuggles 4.5% 0.500 oz 60 min 5.5
Cascade 6.0% 0.300 oz 30 min 3.4
Columbus 17.5% 0.300 oz 30 min 9.9
Fuggles 4.5% 0.500 oz 20 min 3.3

Misc in Secondary

1 Vanilla bean (split and scraped)
5 lb Rhubarb (chopped, frozen & thawed)

Mash at 154 F for 1 hour.

Rack onto vanilla bean & rhubarb after primary fermentation finishes. Secondary for another 7-14 days.

This has a nice ruby color and crisp, tart flavor. You can tell it is rhubarb but it doesn't over power. It needs a little bit of time to condition. Early tastes (after only a few weeks in the bottle) were a little vegetal. Give it at least a month or two.

Very refreshing summer brew.

I've only made it once and it didn't last long enough to tell what happens with age. It was a hit with my German wife and her German friends (auf Deutsch ist: Rhabarber Roggenbier).

I couldn't find a good rhubarb ale recipe so I pieced together something from other fruit beers and rye ale recipes. I'd never done a roggenbier and liked the alliteration of Rhubarb Rye.

This was probably the 1st recipe I came up with kinda on my own. Looking at the hop schedule a year later, I'm not sure what I was thinking ... but it came out tasty!

I went with S-05 since i figured the rhubarb would hide most the yeast character anyway, so why not use something clean. And more importantly, I had some in the fridge

I thought I'd share, since my rhubarb is about ready to pick. I've ordered the ingredients and will make it again soon.

Attached Files
File Type: xml RhubarbRye.xml (22.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
squarepeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the post! I too have found an odd fascination with the alliteration of this combination. I boiled my version this eve and only after happened to stumble upon this. I was looking for a 'farmhouse' style with a rhubarb addition, although I'm really using that term as justification to throw whatever the hell I want in the pot. Where I ended was about half-way between an american ale and american wheat (too dark to be wheat, not bitter enough to be an american ale... says beersmith). My recipe:

Extract & steeping grain
0.25 lbs Aromatic Malt
0.25 lbs Crystal 10
0.5 lbs Carapils
2 lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
1.5 lbs Rye LME
3 lbs Plain Light DME
0.75 oz Centennial @ 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 20 min
0.5 oz Centennial @ 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 0 min
0.25 oz Centennial @ 0 min
Wyeast 1272

I regret not getting a half pound of honey in here, but I forgot to pick up when shopping today. Next weekend I should have plenty of rhubarb to pick from the garden to add to the secondary. I was thinking of chopping the rhubarb and steeping in 1/2 gallon of water. I'm curious what thoughts you may have on this technique. I'm really only motivated to do this for the sanitation benefit. Did you feel 5 lbs was about right from a flavor perspective for a 5 gallon batch? Many thanks!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
jtratcliff

Recipes 

Recipe looks good to me. Your base beer won't be as reddish as mine, so maybe you'll some subtle color from the fruit.

I just re-brewed this recently. Racked on to rhubarb a few days ago. I only had 3 lbs or so this time so I hope it's enough. I thought the 5lbs last time was a good amount. It wasn't subtle at all but you didn't pucker up from the rhubarb either. When formulating the recipe, I went with the suggestions from other fruit beers of about 1 lb of fruit per gallon of beer

Not sure about the steep. I've only done this and a cherry wheat with fruit, so I'm no fruit beer expert

Only concern you might have is the hot steep setting the pectin and giving you a hazy beer. Not sure if rhubarb has much pectin but the freeze/thaw method breaks the cell walls without heat, so pectin is not an issue. I think you can also get an enzyme (pectinase?) to get rid of the pectin. Look at other fruit beer recipes here to get an idea of what can work.

I might try just running the rhubarb thru the juicer next time. Maybe avoid the vegetal flavor that takes a while to condition out. (wish I would have thought of that a couple of days ago!). I tend to start sampling my beers a week after bottling, and this one really did take a month or so to lose the hint of veggie.

Good luck with your brew. If you decide to steep, let us know how it turns out!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
jtratcliff

Recipes 

Also, if you have a lot of rhubarb, look for Yooper's rhubarb wine recipe on here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/rhubarb-wine-29310/

I think it's 3 lbs of rhubarb for 1 gal of wine. Haven't made it yet but it looks interesting.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
squarepeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Solving for the red color was awfully clever, I wouldn't have come up with that. Thanks for the note, i did some fruit beer research and found at least one opinion that steeping under 150F and under 30 min will not cause a pectin haze in fruits with higher pectin levels. Rhubarb is relatively low to begin with, but I'll tool around some more and may just end up using a pectic enzyme out of paranoia.

I'm gathering that you relate the vegetal flavor to time it takes for the chopped stalks to break down.... meaning juicer = shorter time to clear? I'll buy that logic. Puree it is. Thanks again jratcliff.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
jtratcliff

Recipes 

Yeah, the carared & special B offer a darker color. My final color (after adding rhubarb) is a nice reddish hue.

I don't get too bent out of shape, myself, with a little haze. I'm happy if it taste good. Although when I a pour a crystal clear glass, I'm sure to point it out to those around me

I do no-chill BIAB, I'so m always kinda stoked when one of my brews bursts a homebrew myth about clarity.

It occurred to me while posting earlier, that the vegetal taste might come from all the fibers in the chopped rhubarb and that the juice itself might not have that particular problem.

Too late for this year's batch, but next year (or later this year if I get a good 2nd harvest) I'll definitely juice. Might need less rhubarb all in all, as well. Maybe even add the juice at bottling instead of secondary? Although how to figure priming sugar amounts might be tricky. I'm sure there must be some fermentable sugars in rhubarb.

I'll update here about the effectiveness of the 3lbs in my current batch. Be sure to post back with results if you decide to steep (and/or start a new thread). There doesn't seem to be a lot of useful info around on using rhubarb.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
jtratcliff

Recipes 

I just re-read Yooper's rhubarb wine recipe. She chops the stalks and freezes. Then pours her boiled sugar water over to thaw and let's steep for a couple days. Then Pulls the rhubarb. Adds pectic enzyme (and the rest of her ingredients) and let's stand for 12 hours before adding yeast. So pectin might be an issue.

But she still uses the freeze/thaw even with the steep.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
jtratcliff

Recipes 

I just bottled this year's version with only 3lbs of rhubarb. Very tasty. More subtle rhubarb flavor and no vegetal taste in the final half bottle left over at the end.

I also added the vanilla bean a few days late (forgot to add when racking onto chopped rhubarb). Much more pronounced vanilla flavor than i remember from last time. have to see if it hangs around after bottle conditioning.

I'd say 3lbs works well.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
squarepeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a quick follow-up. I decided to boil a cup of DME reduce temp to 150 and steep 5lbs of blended Rhubarb in wort for 20 min. My thinking here is that the embedded DME would really get the yeast working over the Rhubarb, though I have no scientific basis for that thinking. The result of this I'm hesitant to share. 5lbs of rhubarb occupies a lot of real estate in a 5 gallon carboy. With the renewed food source, by morning my airlock and about a half pound of rhubarb had shotgunned out and onto the floor. I sanitized and replaced and had one more round of this behavior by about 5PM. I know I need a blowoff tube, but I'm pretty sure I'd just have had slightly less of a mess in this case. Either way, provided that I remain infection free, I should be able to give a taste review on the ~4lb addition in a couple months.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
squarepeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought I'd check back to see if you'd gotten curious and opened a bottle or a few yet? I kegged this weekend and had a pretty bizarre experience. After completing siphoning and getting that last little bit into a glass to taste, I was setting the glass down and the open keg fell over on it's own. A 45lb keg, with no stability issues and toppled without notice. I managed to save about 1/2 the batch. Now that I know I have supernatural forces working against me, I am sure that I'm on to something here.

Quick Reply