Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Red Rye Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #61
dburgette
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah, beersmith doesn't really like the ibu's for this receipe. It's a good brew for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #62
america
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This was a bit green till now but boy is it getting tasty! Took this picture after about a minute or two of pouring and this is how much head stayed for the rest of the beer. I do think it could use maybe just a Tad more bitterness, but I'd definitely brew this one again!

2012-01-05 21.16.51.jpg

Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #63
MeanGreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburgette View Post
Yeah, beersmith doesn't really like the ibu's for this receipe. It's a good brew for sure.
So do we aim for 36 IBUS or go with .5 oz Columbus 13% at the stated times?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #64
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Personally, I just followed the directions to a T (or as close as I could) and went with the exact ingredients and measurements/amounts. If there is something I don't like about it, I can then modify it. I'm getting ready to transfer mine to secondary for a week or two very soon. Then I'll keg it and see how it tastes...

Old 01-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #65
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well, I use White Labs WLP005 yeast with this one, and just checked my FG after two weeks and it was at 1.020. I wonder if I didn't mash this stuff correctly. My OG was 1.058, so my efficiency was better then I expected. It still calculates to about 5% ABV, not too shabby. It was pretty clear in the hydrometer tube, and tasted awesome. A little on the hoppy side, but it was perfect with the malt and rye flavors.

Is 1.020 too high of a FG??? It's getting kegged, so I'm not worried about bottle bombs...

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #66
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

Snevey, you probably mashed a little bit high. It's a great recipe though and will turn out good. I checked my notes and I finished at 7 points the first time and 6 points with a modified recipe both using Notty. I made it as a lager with S-23 and finished at 12 points.

Wahoo Hunter

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #67
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewing this up tomorrow but the lhbs didn't have special b so I went with cara-aroma. Ill also be pitching this onto a wyeast 1056 cake because its what's around and I've kind of wanted to try this lazy method for a while.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #68
BW210
Recipes 

I had a couple "red rye red amber"'s from Downers? last night for dinner. It was very different from any other beer I have had... and I really liked it. It reminded me of a red ale, with incredible aroma like a red Beaujolais wine and had carbonation like a champagne. Is this common in red rye beers? If not, what direction should I start to clone something like this? I have a red amber fermenting that is looking good and the sample I tested with the hydro was fantastic, but noting like this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #69
moviebrain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW210 View Post
I had a couple "red rye red amber"'s from Downers? last night for dinner. It was very different from any other beer I have had... and I really liked it. It reminded me of a red ale, with incredible aroma like a red Beaujolais wine and had carbonation like a champagne. Is this common in red rye beers? If not, what direction should I start to clone something like this? I have a red amber fermenting that is looking good and the sample I tested with the hydro was fantastic, but noting like this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps if you remembered the brewery of the beer you had we could look it up. If you're looking for something with a musky dark red wine aroma you can perhaps oak the beer or steep a small bit of tea to add tannins, and overcarbonate to get the large champaign-like bubbles?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #70
BW210
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebrain View Post
Perhaps if you remembered the brewery of the beer you had we could look it up. If you're looking for something with a musky dark red wine aroma you can perhaps oak the beer or steep a small bit of tea to add tannins, and overcarbonate to get the large champaign-like bubbles?

Here is what I was drinking: Founders Red Rye PA

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/16074

What mostly intrigues me is how to get such a strong aroma and carbonation. I've found some different red rye PA recipes, but I really want to know how this was done... our Am I making it to complicated and this is yet just another different recipe?

Quick Reply