Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Red Rye Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #51
dburgette
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy
I have been drinking this one for a few days now and it is freaking awesome! Unfortunately, it may only last a few more days.

This was my first rye and I stuck to the recipe. I suggest others do the same on the first batch and tweek it to your own tastes on subsequent batches. I am going to bump up the rye next time. I just love the rye flavor and my new mashtun design has eliminated stuck mashes using rye, wheat, corn, rice, sweet potatoe, graham crackers, breakfast cereals, etc..

I'm no beer judge but I'd score it 40/50. Nice color (not quite red), perfectly clear. Heck , I'm getting off the computer and getting one right now!
That is great to hear. I still have mine in the primary for a few more days. I'm looking forward to tying this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #52
Vongo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Any thoughts on what the optimal fermentation temp should be?

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #53
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I ferment my ales around 67 to 68F if I can. Warmer enters into the fruity ester area that I'm not comfortable with...

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #54
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko623 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been thinking of adding a few drops of red food coloring into the secondary. Any advice or opinion on this?
Hey, piping in a bit late here, but your post got me thinking. It would be cool to mega-dose a good beer with red food coloring to make it a grossly red color, like bright red. Hide the flavor through a freaky color. Then take a sip and, wow, that's a good and surprising beer!

Some would say this is a sac-religious idea, but they can stick it

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #55
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really want to brew a red rye and this one looks great!

I have a question about the hops though. Putting the recipe through beersmith and a few other recipe calculators I keep coming up with right around 45-48 ibus. I'm wondering, how did you manage 36? I even set the AA% to 13 like you had posted.

Has anyone else who may have brewed this a few times have any insight on this? 10 or more ibus is definitely gonna change the flavor quite a bit I would assume. I'm a big hops fan but I don't wanna screw with the recipe without trying it the way it was posted first.

Last edited by thirstyutahn; 10-04-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #56
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I don't have any Columbus hops and there are no LHBS within 90 miles so I would like to hear anyone's opinion on using Centennial hops as a substitute for the Columbus hops.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #57
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I plan on making this but already have some crystal 60 L, how much do you think that would change the color?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #58
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well I brewed this last night with my crystal 60 as planned and the color seems pretty close to the original recipe. I also used Wyeast 1056 cause that's what the LHBS had, i'll post some results in a couple weeks.

EDIT: Just tansfered this to secondary and took my final gravity reading yesterday. The flat and room temp. sample my friends and I tasted was excellent! Can't wait for this one to be done. FG was 1.010 so my abv is looking to be 5.41%.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #59
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just ordered the ingredient list. Love me a good rye!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #60
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed this up last night. This is my first rye ale, and I've gotta say, the smell of that bag of crushed grain in my car coming home from the LHBS was delicious. Is smelled even better in the mash tun.

This will be the first batch of beer that I've kegged to. A bunch of firsts!

The people questioning the IBU's... when I put the recipe in BeerSmith, I got 45.8 IBU's for my 5.5 gallon batch.

Quick Reply