Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Red Rye Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #161
Syndicate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Glad to post that my batch turned out delicious. This is gonna be a repeat.

I love this site

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #162
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just kegged this last night. 16 days in primary, 3 days secondary to cold crash, now kegged for 14 days to carb.
1.051 OG - 1.015 FG
Followed the recipe
I did this BIAB.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #163
Nicegirl
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Giving it a Try

I have been curious about rye beers since tasting a Hoss rye a while back and have been looking for a good recipe. After looking through all of the posts regarding this recipe I've decided to give it a try.
For those that have already brewed this beer, does anyone have any advice they can offer?
The one thing I have picked up on is the use of rice hulls when brewing with rye malts. Has anyone else used rice hulls when mashing this recipe or does the barley provide enough of a filter bed for the mash?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #164
Syndicate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegirl View Post
I have been curious about rye beers since tasting a Hoss rye a while back and have been looking for a good recipe. After looking through all of the posts regarding this recipe I've decided to give it a try.
For those that have already brewed this beer, does anyone have any advice they can offer?
The one thing I have picked up on is the use of rice hulls when brewing with rye malts. Has anyone else used rice hulls when mashing this recipe or does the barley provide enough of a filter bed for the mash?
I didnt use rice hulls and it turned out fine. It is a bit cloudy but i only used a primary fermentation and didnt transfer it to secondary prior to bottling.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #165
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegirl View Post
If you have ever had a stuck mash you will understand why you should use rice hulls. They are like the seatbelt in your car, you probably won't need it but you don't want to wait until it's too late to wish you had used it. I prefer to increase the hop additions by 20%. (.6oz per addition). I have used different yeasts and have colored the beer with beets. All batches turned out great. Similar to Hop Rod in flavor and recipe. I plan to brew this again within the next month. Some version or another is usually on tap at my house.

Wahoo Hunter

Old 11-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #166
meshbackhats
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Brewed this again today- Have to love cold weather garage brewing! First snowfall of the season as well.

Love this recipe- this is my 3rd time brewing it.

Changed the hop schedule slightly-

Thanks OP

Last edited by meshbackhats; 11-23-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #167
Syndicate
Recipes 

Bumped up the recipe by 25 percent because last time i ended up with a 4 gallon batch. I batched sparged and ended up with a OG of 1.067. Im not sure how my attenuation is gonna come out but hopefully i hit close to 80 percent.
I love this beer.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #168
Syndicate
Recipes 

Im having trouble getting fermentation going with the higher gravity of 1.067 as the london ale yeast goes to 1.060. Its very slowly starting to kick.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #169
scottvin
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

brewed this on Sunday - SG of 1.054 and pitched 1450 - will move to keg in 2-3 weeks

Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #170
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Looks tempting! May brew this next weekend along with (possibly) an abbey dubbel. Nice to see all the followup examples and successes. May use US-05 and just rye malt (not flaked). Also considering moving the bittering charge to FWH. Pretty minor adjustments all in all.

So many recipes...

Fermenter:
Bottles: Pale Ale, Wee Heavy, ESB, Rare Vos

Quick Reply