Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Red Rye Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #111
snyklez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I noticed while looking at the actual website that the OP listed this as a 6 gallon batch. It didn't show up on the iPhone app. For those that brewed this per recipe, did you go with 6 gallons pre or post boil? I've got a 7.5 gallon kettle and I don't think I could pull off getting 6 gallons post boil without either topping off or having a major boil over. I'd rather not top off or adjust the grain bill. I'm hoping OP meant boil 6 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #112
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyklez
I noticed while looking at the actual website that the OP listed this as a 6 gallon batch. It didn't show up on the iPhone app. For those that brewed this per recipe, did you go with 6 gallons pre or post boil? I've got a 7.5 gallon kettle and I don't think I could pull off getting 6 gallons post boil without either topping off or having a major boil over. I'd rather not top off or adjust the grain bill. I'm hoping OP meant boil 6 gallons.
6 gal post-boil. You could scale the recipe down, or buy a bigger kettle. I've recommended to anyone who has asked me to go with a 10+ gal kettle. Even if you don't do gigantic beers, having that much headroom is nice

Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #113
sparksanthony
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like a very solid recipe. Gonna brew this one very soon, I love spicy Rye beers, but haven't got around to brewing one yet. Scaling it up to 9 gallons on the website I use.

Had a couple questions for some of you that have brewed this one...

Has anyone used a yeast other than Notty (I saw one of Denny's yeasts back a few pages)? I have thought about WLP002 (1st choice), maybe 001, and after some research WLP041 (which I haven't used yet). Don't have access to Wyeast at my LHBS, only Danstar, Ferm, and White Labs.

I was also thinking about using a fair amount of Cara-red or Melanoidin (neither of which I have used) to give it the beautiful reddish hue that I have only read about. Plan to possibly use 12-16oz in a 9 gallon batch. Is that enough to make a difference (in color) or should I use more? Also have read that the CR is similar to Crystal malt (20L) in flavor, if I use this should I scale back a touch on the C120 (not that C20 and C120 are similar in flavor)?? Will the melanoidin make it too malty??

Old 03-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #114
SouthtownsBrewing2011
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksanthony View Post
Looks like a very solid recipe. Gonna brew this one very soon, I love spicy Rye beers, but haven't got around to brewing one yet. Scaling it up to 9 gallons on the website I use.

Had a couple questions for some of you that have brewed this one...

Has anyone used a yeast other than Notty (I saw one of Denny's yeasts back a few pages)? I have thought about WLP002 (1st choice), maybe 001, and after some research WLP041 (which I haven't used yet). Don't have access to Wyeast at my LHBS, only Danstar, Ferm, and White Labs.

I was also thinking about using a fair amount of Cara-red or Melanoidin (neither of which I have used) to give it the beautiful reddish hue that I have only read about. Plan to possibly use 12-16oz in a 9 gallon batch. Is that enough to make a difference (in color) or should I use more? Also have read that the CR is similar to Crystal malt (20L) in flavor, if I use this should I scale back a touch on the C120 (not that C20 and C120 are similar in flavor)?? Will the melanoidin make it too malty??
I brewed this one and used Nottingham yeast from danstar and it was perrrrfect!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #115
golfduke
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just brewed this and pitched on some cleaned WY1968 from an ESB. I particularly chose this yeast to see if I can get that gorgeous red hue without sitting on it for months. It's by far the best flocculating yeast I've ever used. I figure it will work pretty well.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #116
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I brewed this last fall with Wyeast 1272. It was a big hit at the office Christmas party. I plan to brew it again in a few months.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #117
jschumacher
Recipes 

I brewed this using WLP001 and it turned out fantastic.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #118
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschumacher
I brewed this using WLP001 and it turned out fantastic.
Just saying hi to a fellow Schumacher

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #119
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Anyone enter this into a competition?

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #120
BlackFurnaceBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Based on the comments here, I am going to add this to this summer's list. Anyone have any water profile info that worked really well for them on this recipe?

Primary: Bear's Mountain IPA
Secondary: Chocolate Raspberry Port
Bottled: General Stark ESB, Christine's 1/4 Mile Wheat, 82nd Airborne Amber, Sweet Home Bourbon Ale
On Deck: Double Clutch IPA, Breckenridge Ale, Black Nitrous Whiskey Stout

Quick Reply