American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
This was my first rye beer--it's an adaptation of my Columbus APA with more/darker crystal and flaked+malted rye. I just tasted the first one last night--it's going to be a winner. It's a deep copper color with a spicy/complex flavor--the malty components really come through with the IBUs a little lower than a typical PA.

Grain:
7 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American Munich
8 oz. American crystal 120L
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
1.5 lb. Flaked rye
1 lb. Rye malt

Mash: 74% efficiency
mash 60 minutes at 152

1 tsp irish moss at 15 min.

Hops:
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 2 min.)

Yeast: Nottingham

knipknup said:
When did you brew it? I would love to see a pic that shows the color. Gotta brew that perfectly red ale..

I brewed it about a month ago. My last bottle filled was about 16 oz in a 19 oz Bass bottle, so I needed to open it early before it overcarbonated.

Maybe I'll take a pic in a couple weeks when I start drinking them for real. It's not a really dark red (maybe an ounce of roasted barley would take care of that). It's more like the color of a lighter-hued Belgian dubbel.

Here's a pic:

2959-P4040304.JPG

I'm going to do a Red Rye soon. I'm going to try to clone the Red Rye from a local brewpub, Turtle Mountain. I got percentages for the grains, but not much info for the hops, other than BU's.

I'm curious about your hopping schedule, did the hops cover up some of the rye flavor? Or did you get a pretty good balance between the American hops and the spicy Rye flavor? I'm wondering if I should do anything beyond a bittering addition....

Maybe I need to "sample" a growler full from the local brewpub to get a feel for the hop profile... :D

Just bottled a batch of this beer today. I downed the whole hydrometer sample and wanted more. This beer is definately going into my rotation. Thanks for the recipe OP, this is a great beer!
:mug:

I just finished brewing this. Tweaked the recipe a bit, since I'm in the kitchen, I did a partial mash.

Heres what I tweaked
Mashed at 140-158... for 60 mins
4 lb. Organic American 2-row
1 lb. American Munich
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
1.5 lb. Flaked rye
1 lb. Rye malt
1 oz. of Organic Roasted Barley(as suggested to add some more color)

Then added 3lbs. of Amber DME to the boil. Which I guess makes it a Amber Rye ale now...

Didn't have any Columbus Hops at the LHBS so I got Zeus hops (never brewed with it before) Used 1 1/2 oz in steps then a 1/2 oz. of Cascade at the last min.
Ended up with an O.G of 159-160...and pitched the bottom dwelling yeast from the primary of a beer I brewed last week and just racked. It was White Labs British yeast WLP 005...Started bubbling within an hour or two...Sweet first time I've reused yeast.

I'll post in about a month on the turn out. Should be interesting.

Just brewed this bad boy. Ended up using Wyeast English Ale II instead of Nottingham. Had pretty awful efficiency (~60%), but it attenuated out nice and dry (1.008), so it still came in around 5.2% ABV.

Primaried it for 3 weeks, and it's been in the keg for 1 week so far (still could use a little longer, but already very quaffable!). Mine's a bit cloudier than yours.

I don't see this one lasting very long.

RedRye.jpg

A week later, this cleared nicely. It's not cloudy at all. And damn is it good. This is possibly the best beer I've brewed (out of the 10-12 I've done so far (2nd all-grain))

I did a Partial Mash version of this (with a few tweaks) and it is definitely the best beer I've made, out of eight total batches. Thanks!

I just finished brewing this. Tweaked the recipe a bit, since I'm in the kitchen, I did a partial mash.

Heres what I tweaked
Mashed at 140-158... for 60 mins
4 lb. Organic American 2-row
1 lb. American Munich
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
1.5 lb. Flaked rye
1 lb. Rye malt
1 oz. of Organic Roasted Barley(as suggested to add some more color)

Then added 3lbs. of Amber DME to the boil. Which I guess makes it a Amber Rye ale now...

Didn't have any Columbus Hops at the LHBS so I got Zeus hops (never brewed with it before) Used 1 1/2 oz in steps then a 1/2 oz. of Cascade at the last min.
Ended up with an O.G of 159-160...and pitched the bottom dwelling yeast from the primary of a beer I brewed last week and just racked. It was White Labs British yeast WLP 005...Started bubbling within an hour or two...Sweet first time I've reused yeast.

I'll post in about a month on the turn out. Should be interesting.

Looking for feedback on this recipe......anything?

just brewed this guy up last night. our first all grain w/ a 7.5 gallon SS pot. did simple rinse sparging, and got the OG to 1.051, so our efficiency is good. cool!

its just forming its krausen now.

Looks great. I don't have any flaked rye, only malted. I'll have to tweak it a bit, but look forward to trying it.

Looks like some good feedback on this one. I've been looking for something just like this. Making my shopping list right now to brew it up in the next couple of days. Looking forward to this one. Thanks a bunch!!

Doing this as probably my final beer in 2010. Can't wait to get it done! The above picture is making my mouth water.

I just bought the ingredients. I had to go all rye malt too. I will try to post how it turned out in a month or so when I get it done.

I recently had the pleasure of trying Blue Point's RastafaRye Ale, a red rye ale and have been itching to get started on a similar style ever since.

Brewed 10 gallons of this last weekend and went with the following (slightly modified) grain bill:

14 lbs 2-row
2 lbs German Munich
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb Crystal 120
4 oz Special B
8 oz Caramunich
4 oz Carapils
3 lbs Flaked Rye
Single infusion for 60 minutes @ 152
2 oz Columbus (pellet) - 1 oz @ 60, .5 @ 30, .5 @ 5
Notty

Per Reciprator, my estimated starting gravity was 1.059, and I suppose my efficiency was better as I got a 1.062 SG! This was my first AG batch with my own crush - which I went with 30mm. The carapils probably wasn't necessary, but I definitely wanted some mouthfeel to this one. We'll see how it goes.

Speaking of which, though I should've been smarter about it, I didn't throw in any rice hulls and ended up with an extremely slow sparge. Given how this turns out, I'll definitely mash with hulls on my next wheat/rye batch. I ended up starting the boil @ 11 gallons and just let the 2nd runnings drain into the boil the entire 60 minutes - not sure if it was a waste of time or not, but with a lower boil, I ended up with a full 10 gallons. I might have a slightly cloudy result, but as long as it tastes good, that's all I care about.

The SG sample tasted excellent.

In the past 10 days, this sucker had a wild fermentation party...went from 1.062 down to 1.012 (6.6% ABV) and she's held steady at that for 3-4 days so far. I hate waiting, but I'm going to let her sit in the primary until next week. Then into the keg she goes.

Only thing I would change (so far) would be to enhance the color to be just a little more red (but I may be speaking too soon). It's more of a burnt copper right now.

The hops are supposed to be minimal in this...slightly bitter. The majority of the flavor comes from the malt and rye.

this is gonna sound kinda crazy but i just mixed 50/50 ed worts applwein with this recipe as i made it and it kinda tastes like chimayish.

I made it, but the hops was so stong. I messed somehting up so I mixed it with applwien. Whew, it is purty stong with a strong hops flavor.

I drank some but it kind of makes me sick after to much.

6icjec.jpg

Hey Guys - Looks like this will be my next brew.

Slight variation on a theme

Partial Mash – 60 min @ 152
2 lb. Rahr 2-Row Malt
1 lb. German Munich
8 oz. Medium Crystal 60L
8 oz. Carapils
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
1.5 lb. Rye malt

2 oz Columbus (pellet) - .5 oz @ 60, 0.75 oz @ 20, 0.75oz @ 5

Amber Malt Extract 6 lb

Nottingham Ale Yeast

Will be brewing in the next week or so - I have some extra Columbus Hops. Any thoughts on dry hopping this one? I like the idea but I don't want the Hops to overwhelm the Malt / Rye spiciness.

- Exst

I wouldnt dry hop this one.

Like I say i probably did something wrong on the hops, but mine turned out to be stronger than the rye flavor. I used 2 oz of hops.

Thought I'd share...this sucker is awesome. Little heat toward the back end - next time I'll dial down the grains to get a slightly lower ABV: mine ended up around 6+% ABV. Regardless, mouthfeel, taste and appearance are excellent.
Picture_24.jpg

Hey guys,

I brewed a similar recipe - except I used about a pound of 40L and a pound of CaraRed. The net result is a decent amber color, maybe around 13-14 SRM. I've been thinking of adding a few drops of red food coloring into the secondary. Any advice or opinion on this?

I wouldn't...just for the sake that you don't need to. Most red ryes aren't really red anyways - more like a burnt copper or in your case, amber. As you can see from mine a few posts above, it's not too red, but the head has a nice slightly toasted appearance, which makes the copper seem slightly more red than it actually is.

Hey guys,

I brewed a similar recipe - except I used about a pound of 40L and a pound of CaraRed. The net result is a decent amber color, maybe around 13-14 SRM. I've been thinking of adding a few drops of red food coloring into the secondary. Any advice or opinion on this?

Thought I'd share...this sucker is awesome. Little heat toward the back end - next time I'll dial down the grains to get a slightly lower ABV: mine ended up around 6+% ABV. Regardless, mouthfeel, taste and appearance are excellent.
Picture_24.jpg

Looks just like mine! I really like this beer, and I bottled my second batch of it last weekend. I didnt change a thing.

Latest posts

Back