Historical Beer: Roggenbier Rabbit Run Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3056
Yeast Starter
1 L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks @ 68
Tasting Notes
Spicy and crisp.
[size=+2]Rabbit Run Roggenbier[/size]
[size=+1]15-D Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/3/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 167.13 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.046 - 1.056)
|==============#=================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.014)
|==================#=============|
Color: 17.34 (14.0 - 19.0)
|==================#=============|
Alcohol: 4.94% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 15.6 (10.0 - 20.0)
|================#===============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
5.5 lb Rye Malt
4.5 lb German Dark Munich
8 oz Caramel Wheat Malt
8 oz Chocolate Rye Malt
1 oz WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat
1 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 2.75 gal; Strike: 131.98 °F; Target: 122 °F
00:18:00 Beta Glucan Rest - Rest: 15 min; Final: 122.0 °F
00:21:00 Infusion - Water: 2.75 gal; Temperature: 192.1 °F; Target: 154 °F
01:01:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 40 min; Final: 152.9 °F
01:31:00 Sparge & Lauter - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 150 °F, 10 min; Sparge #2: 1.74 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 10 min; Sparge #2: 1.74 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 10 min; Total Runoff: 7.85 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3[/size]

This one is becoming my go-to brew! I love the spiciness from both the rye and the Bavarian Wheat yeast. Sparging can be a process- so definitely don't skip out on the rice hulls. You could conceivably up the rice hulls to 1/2 #.

I just brewed another batch of this yesterday, so it will not be ready- but I'll definitely send some your way when it is!

Has anyone tried a rye with a little caraway seed? I've got one planned and thought I'd try it that way.

Not sure really, but it seems pretty potent, so I was thinking maybe a teaspoon for a 5.5 gallon batch, for a start.

I just brewed another batch of this yesterday, so it will not be ready- but I'll definitely send some your way when it is!
The wife left me home alone with beer tonight. Been hitting this and that, but can't stay away from the Rye. Looks like I better do the same as you and get another batch going real soon.

Has anyone tried a rye with a little caraway seed? I've got one planned and thought I'd try it that way.
Interested to hear how this works also.

A freshly poured pint of Rabbit Run:

IMG_4463.jpg

This most recent batch leans towards more banana than clove from the Bavarian wheat yeast. I love this beer.

If this is from the same batch that SWMBO and I sampled, I can vouch for it tasting as good as it looks.

One and the same! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I do! So, how bout some EKG? ;)

I just brewed your recipe last weekend and man! The sparging process was like the hundred year war....long as hell and tuff. This has to do with two things I believe, 1. My chessy plastic false bottom on my igloo and the ****ty plastic valve that goes with it. And 2. The rye??? I question it wondering why the rye is so hard to mash? One more question, Are the rice hulls supposed to line the false bottom or just go into the overall mash? My O.G. was 1056 though with all the hassle. At transferring it was 1008. I used two diferent yeast , the bav wheat and american. We will see how it turns out. But I am stoked-looks dark and evil...wooohooo

Awesome! Mix those rice hulls in with the grist. Rye doesn't have a husk, so it can glue down in a mash. I hope you used a blowoff tube, this yeast goes gangbusters!

IMG_3732.JPG

I'm having a pint right now. :mug:

Jason, this recipe intrigues me. Any chance of you brining some to home brew club when it is ready?

I love rye, but have yet to find a rye beer that I have truly enjoyed. As much as i like rye, it confuses me.

You mentioned you like rye--what flavor do you associate with rye? Are you thinking of the flavor of rye bread?

I ask because I strongly associate the flavor of caraway seeds with rye (as in rye bread).

I've had a wheat/rye with caraway seeds planned for most of a year... Hopefully I'll finally get it brewed in the next month.

Just milled the grain for this batch.

5.5 lb Rye Malt
4.5 lb German Dark Munich
8 oz Wheat Malt
5 1/4 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt
2 3/4 oz Chocolate malt.
WYeast 3944 belgain witt. (I know, I know, but I had it. Going to ferment a little cool and keep some of the esters down)

Hops: I thought I had saaz. It's either Cluster, Challenger, or Hallertau MF. Ideas?

Tomorrow am the yeast goes into the starter, and I'll start the brew when I get home from movie and lunch date with the Lady.

B

Back