Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - "Piwo Kielich" -- Grätzer/Grodziskie style ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Feurhund
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gratzer advice

For those that brewed a Gratzer, what gravity did you shoot for and which is better. I have seen a small beer at 1.028 and this recipe in the 1.050 range.
I have already smoked the wheat and it smells great.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

What I found said the beer typically finishes in the 3-5% range. I think more often it's done on the lower side of that range, but it's up to whatever you want to drink. I was happy with the beer getting close to 5% but next time I'll probably brew it at a lower gravity around 3%.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
geniz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Made a Grodziskie out of 1/2 Beechwood Smoked Malt and 1/2 wheat malt. 1.034 SG and 36 IBU from Saaz. Kolsh yeast. Bottled conditioned to 3.5 vol CO2. 3.1 ABV

Beer turned out great. Cleared well. Still needs more time to finish carbing. Great balance of smoke and bitter.

Will be brewing one this week with 100% wheat malt that I cold smoked for two hours with oak.

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
geniz
Recipes 

Here are my two Grodziskies. The one on the left is 1/2 commercial beechwood smoked malt, 1/2 wheat malt. The one on the right is 100% wheat malt cold smoked with oak.

Both in the 1.030s, both with mid 30s IBUs from Saaz. Kolsch yeast. Both fined with gelatin. So they are in the style of a low gravity Grodziskie.

The half and half was bottle conditioned to 3.5 vol CO2, the full wheat was kegged at about 3 vol. Both beers are fairly clear, but both have a chill haze.

Here is a closeup of the whole wheat:

Here is a closeup of the half and half:

Image 2 by hdshovel2001, on Flickr

The half and half has better head retention than the whole wheat. This may be due in part to it being more effervencent.

There is a big difference in taste. As can be expected the half and half has less smoke nose and flavor, although the whole wheat has a much smoother smokiness. The half and half was initially acrid but this has diminished considerably after aging for a month or so.

The whole wheat beer has an overall better balance. It is smokey, but it works in this beer. The oak makes a difference. It has a citrus overtone that is lacking in the half and half.

This style of beer is a good alternative to heavier styles of smoked beers. Both beers are good and if you like smoked beers, wouldn't disappoint.

Although the whole wheat cold smoked beer is in my opinion a better beer, I wouldn't hesitate to make either one again. I think that there would be a better consistency with the half and half just because there is an inherent variability when home smoking malt that probably would lend batch differences in the whole wheat version.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

NB sells smoked pale wheat malt

Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
geniz
Recipes 

I recently did two Grodziskie comparing home smoked vs the commercial smoked wheat. While the commercial smoked malt was good, it really lacked the degree of smokiness and complexity of the home smoked wheat malt

Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniz View Post
I recently did two Grodziskie comparing home smoked vs the commercial smoked wheat. While the commercial smoked malt was good, it really lacked the degree of smokiness and complexity of the home smoked wheat malt
hard to tell from your posts from May, but was that commercial smoked BARLEY malt? or wheat?

plus the smoke was beechwood, might make a difference.

I would be interested in knowing how a Grodziskie with that NB smoked wheat would turn out

well, plus yours... sure they are all tastyandgood

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #18
geniz
Recipes 

The post from May was a comparison of Grodziskie made with:
1) a mixture of commercial beechwood smoked barley malt and wheat malt
vs
2)100% home oak smoked wheat malt.
In that post, the home oak smoked wheat malt Grodziskie tasted better.

Since then I have compared Grodziskie made with home oak smoked wheat malt vs the Weyermann oak smoked wheat malt.
Both of these beers were 100% wheat malt
1.034 OG
36IBU Saaz
Kolsch yeast

Both beers were good. The Weyermann version was less smokey and less complex than the version made with the home oak smoked wheat malt.
Friends that tasted both side to side tended to like the home smoked version better, but they certainly wouldn't refuse the commercial smoked version if that was the only one on tap.

If you can't or dont want to fool with home smoking wheat malt, the Weyermann oak smoked malt will make a fine Grodziskie.

BTW ignore the Weyermann recommendation to use 20% malted barley in the mash. The smoked wheat converted fine on its own. The efficiency I got was in the high 60s so you may want to adjust your brewing software to make sure that you hit your target gravities.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
Sherab
Recipes 

Polish Homebrewers Association (PSPD) has a project called "Grodziskie redivivius" - Grodziskie revival. Members of PSPD intervieved former brewers from Grodzisk and published their info in English PDF, here:

http://www.pspd.org.pl/uploads/grodziskie/grodziskie-redivivus-raport-1-eng.pdf

Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
geniz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherab
Polish Homebrewers Association (PSPD) has a project called "Grodziskie redivivius" - Grodziskie revival. Members of PSPD intervieved former brewers from Grodzisk and published their info in English PDF, here:

http://www.pspd.org.pl/uploads/grodziskie/grodziskie-redivivus-raport-1-eng.pdf
Thank you. This is great information!!

Quick Reply