Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Peach Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
jgourd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default All-Grain - Peach Wheat

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs WLP300
Yeast Starter: 2750mL, ferment, crash cool, decant, pitch
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 15
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @66F
Additional Fermentation: 7 days @32F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 42 days @70F
Tasting Notes: Initial aroma is bananas and peach. The first sip is cloves, bananas and peaches.

We're famous for our peaches where I live, so I decided to make a peach wheat. Many people say that using peaches doesn't give a pronounced flavor in the beer (and so they use apricots, for example). I wanted to use peaches so I did (it just took a while to get the flavors and aromas I wanted).

The recipe:

Code:
Peach Wheat
-----------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal (9.98 gal preboil)
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated FG: 1.013 SG
Estimated IBUs: 14 (Tinseth)
Estimated Color: 4 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73%
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains:
6.25# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (2.0L) (49.02%)
5.00# American wheat (2.0L) (39.22%)
1.00# Carapils/Dextrine (2.0L) (7.84%)
0.50# Rice hulls (0.0L) (3.92%)

Hops:
1.25 oz Tettnanger (US) (3.9%) @60 min
1.35 oz Tettnanger (US) (3.9%) @2 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP300 (Hefeweizen Ale)

Mash/Sparge Schedule:
Single Infusion, 152F; Batch Sparge

Fermentation Schedule:
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @66F
Secondary Fermentation: 42 days @70F (on peaches)
Additional Fermentation: 7 days @32F (crash cool)
I fermented without peaches for 14 days. I then took the skin off of 9 lbs. of peaches I got from our local farmer's market, removed the pits and cut them into quarters. All the peaches were added straight to the primary, I carefully mixed them around and left them there for a month and a half. I basically checked the beer every two weeks until I was satisfied with the "peachiness." I then carefully racked (there was some "mold" on top of the peaches) to a secondary and crash cooled for a week. I kegged with gelatin and carbonated to 2.5 volumes. It cleared pretty quickly and tastes great!

I have gotten great reviews from the locals. You get bananas and slight peach on the nose. The first sip is cloves and bananas. The peach comes through pretty quickly as a peach flavor and some tartness. Very thirst quenching. Subsequent sips are mostly peach with a little bananas and cloves.

A recent pic:

Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Im thinking about doing peaches im doing a well im not shure a hefeweizen with t-58 and the thought crossed my mind of doing peaches because i tried a peach wheat and liked it so i figure peach will go with a belgiany type yeast also. Nice pic you can actually see some peach color,nice color.
I dont have any noble hops so im wondering how nugget or some of the other high alpha hops will do.Im going to use some pilsner too i think along with a tad bit of other crystal type malts that is if i cant find fresh peaches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
jgourd
Recipes 

Belgian yeast should do well. I don't see a problem with Nugget since this is not a hop forward brew nor is it particularly bitter. Pilsner malt will get you some nice grainy notes, but I'd make sure to do a 90 min boil with that to ward off DMS. If I had to do something differently next time, I might use more peaches (I know!) and let them sit for two months. I'd also reduce the bitterness (to maybe 10 IBUs) because the peaches impart a similar characteristic after a while.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=

A recent pic:

[/QUOTE]

Pic looks great, very clear. Did you use irish moss or is this clarity strictly due to cold crashing?

Also i am thinking about making some fruit hefes and was wondering if i could just add peach syrup, not as altruistic I know, but it should speed things up. Do you know how much syrup i should use for a 5 gal batch and when i would add it? Thanks!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
jgourd
Recipes 

Clarity was mostly from cold crashing for a week after racking off of the peaches. But I did add gelatin to the keg. I typically use 4 oz of syrup for a 5 gal batch. But I never did this with peach syrup just with raspberry once.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
siucubfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is there any dry yeast that you would recommend for this beer? I haven't made the jump to liquid yeast yet and don't have the necessary equipment just yet. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
jgourd
Recipes 

I'd probably go with Fermentis Safbrew WB-06 Wheat Beer Dry Yeast.

Quick Reply