Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #71
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post
Homebrewer 99,

Your notes said it was not as sweet as a Roth HW from Schweinfurt. You didn't mean a Rother Brau Hefeweizen, did you?
I'm pretty sure it's Roth.

If you are standing in front of, but your back facing, the Rathaus in Schweinfurt look across the open area (marketplatz) and up the road. It's on your right, just a couple hundred meters from the Rathaus. It is a fairly sweet HW. I've never been able to reach and maintain that particular sweetness and flvaor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #72
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
My supplier is suggesting the following alternative yeasts to 3068

1) Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

or

2) Safbrew WB - 06

Any thoughts on these ?

Also does it make any difference if I use light DME instead of extra light DME ?

Thanks
Well, the thing is you have to use the proper yeast to get the flavor you want. If you didn't use a German HW yeast then you made something other the a German-style HW.

Technically speaking, all wheat beers are made of the same ingredients - a combination of wheat and barley, whether all grain, LME or DME. The main ingredient that makes them stand apart is the yeast. The yeast defines the character of the flavor.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #73
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySpargeVorlauf View Post
This was the second beer I ever brewed. Very good extract recipe; it scored 2nd place at local contest here in Portland. I kept in primary for a month...I used 3068 (I still do not know how to find the blend) fermented at 68-70. It took about another month or so in the bottle before it peeked. I only have two left which is sad...it is definitely a crowd pleaser.
You know, I had mine in the primary for 34 days (I had a heart attack and couldn't lift, etc.). Mine came in as Best of Show and Best of Style...first contest ever entered...

I still smile to myself whenever some poster insist on drinking this right out of the primary to the keg. After it's done fermenting I always rack it to a secondary to clear out the sulfur odors and to allow more yeast to fall out. I will add some of the yeast back in if it gets too clear.

I usually will not drink my HWs if they are under 1 month old. I also have kept them for over 6 months and they are still quite tasty...enough to get compliments on anyway.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #74
djavet
Recipes 

At which temp is the secondary for this weizen? Can I do it at the ambient temp?

Dom

Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #75
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavet View Post
At which temp is the secondary for this weizen? Can I do it at the ambient temp?

Dom
I rarely secondary anything, particularly wheat beers.

My current weizen has been fermenting at about 62*F for the past week. I am taking it out of the cooler tonight to give it a couple of weeks at room temp. Then, into the keg for a couple of weeks of carbing and aging. Should be very nice by the time I get back from camping.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #76
irishod89
Recipes 

Hi all,

Thinking about brewing this up in a few weeks, but had a couple questions. What are people getting for IBU's? Also, what is normal for the style? Also, someone else mentioned the small boil, would it hurt this beer to do a larger boil, or is there no reason as everyone says it takes great as is? Is Munich Malt 10L the same or equivalent to the Briess 6-Row? Thanks in advance, can't wait to enjoy this brew in the heat of August here in Nashville.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #77
uabericm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would there be any benefit in doing a partial mash version of this recipe? If so, does anyone have the grain bill available for a PM.

I haven't stepped into all-grain yet and I really enjoy doing the partial mashing.

Keg Carbonation Calc Pitching Rate Calc HBT Starter Calc

Old 10-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #78
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

brewed up my second batch of this about a week ago. just bottled today. this was delicious the first time...with a little extra lactose and some orange peel might even be better the second!!! thanks op!!

Zack

Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #79
echotraveler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed up my first batch of this recipe, thanx homebrew_99! and all you guys! this thread rocks!

Last edited by echotraveler; 05-26-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #80
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

You're welcome.

Quick Reply