Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #51
Absolut_Ninja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Turned out quite good; pretty strong with a little sour aftertaste (SWMBO couldn't tell) and after only 2 days down half the brew!

And for the color, even though the pic is blurry....

Prost!

BTW, I have dubbed this installment as my "Hue Heffner." Made me giggle, although somebody had to think of that already. If not I just might be a genius....

Last edited by Absolut_Ninja; 04-05-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #52
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brewed 5gals. I was surprised that the color was on the darker side. I was going to ferment/condition for 2-3 weeks then keg/bottle and drink.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #53
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush3pwood View Post
I've been meaning to try this recipe out so I went to my LHBS today to stock up on supplies. The owner informed me that most if not all Wheat DME is actually pre-mixed so that I wouldn't be needing to use anything but the wheat DME. Does anyone know if the extract they were using was pure wheat or pre-mixed? I want to make sure that I don't add XL DME to a wort that doesn't need it and end up with an overly sweet/concentrated brew. I'm assuming that as long as you end up with around 6# of DME you'll be solid, are there any obvious drawbacks to using just what they sell as Wheat DME?
Chances are the wheat is already pre-mixed 55% wheat/45% barley, or something close to it.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #54
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzack View Post
Just brewed 5gals. I was surprised that the color was on the darker side. I was going to ferment/condition for 2-3 weeks then keg/bottle and drink.
Did you use any LME? That'll always make the brew darker.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #55
Absolut_Ninja
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzack View Post
I thought the SRM was off the charts when I put it in the carboy; I called it an "Off Hue Heffner" then changed it after I bottled it. Wait til you bottle it, or take a hydro test. What is the color then?

Don't mean to step on any more experienced toes....

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #56
jamesk9
Recipes 

Pauli and Franzakander are MY drinks with Erdringer and julis Echter in a close second, and was wondering if this recipe can be accomplished by a first time brewer.. Or should I start out with something more generic?

Im still in the reading/researching phase
Thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #57
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesk9 View Post
Pauli and Franzakander are MY drinks with Erdringer and julis Echter in a close second, and was wondering if this recipe can be accomplished by a first time brewer.. Or should I start out with something more generic?

Im still in the reading/researching phase
Thanks
Yes, you can make this taste great the first time out...just don't use LME or else it'll be too dark...if you use LME it's all good too, just too dark.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #58
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I used DME - the color has gotten lighter with time. I used Mt Hood at 6% for my hops since thats all I had. Is that going to make this funky? I also used about .55-.6oz.

I know there have been some serious debates on conditioning, but do Hefes not have to condition as long? I have never kegged sooner than 5 weeks but I really want to try this beer.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #59
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I usually use 1/2 oz of 6% (only 3AAs) for a batch of HW when using 6 lbs of DME.

Lots of people say they prefer a young HW, but I secondary all of mine to reduce the amount of yeast going into the bottle/keg. Even an overnight secondary will get good results...3 days better.

After that you can keg. With kegging you can actually drink this beer in as little as 2 weeks. IMO that's too early because the more yeast you have in suspension the gassier you'll get. I prefer 3-4 weeks, 5-6 weeks if bottle conditioning.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #60
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

The only issue I have with this recipe is that it should only be made in 10 gallon batches.

I went to shake my keg to stir up the yeast, and the damn thing is almost empty ALREADY!

Quick Reply