Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #31
DirkDiggler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is this the right type of grain to use for this recipe? I'm not too sure which it is.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Also I see I can get both Hallertau and Hersbrucker hop pellets. Which are needed for this recipe? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #32
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
Is this the right type of grain to use for this recipe? I'm not too sure which it is.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Also I see I can get both Hallertau and Hersbrucker hop pellets. Which are needed for this recipe? Thanks!
It really doesn't matter if you use any grain or not.

Either hop will work. Just make sure you get an real German HW yeast.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #33
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinakajuice View Post
I brewed a batch up on Saturday. I'll let you know how it turns out. Right now it's stinking my dining room up to high hell. I guess that's a good sign. It's sitting next to an American Ale as well so I'm sure that doesn't help the gas situation.

This is my fifth batch of homebrew, so how long should I leave this in the primary? I was planning on transferring to the bottling bucket after ten days and letting it sit for another 7-10 to clear the beer up some. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm not sure what to do since this is a hefeweizen. I have yet to purchase kegging equipment. =)
I never rack to a secondary until the gravity has dropped 75%. Counting the days doesn't help.

I do do a secondary to clear up some of the excess yeast and add just a little back into the bottling bucket/keg to keep it cloudy. If your checked out the yeast content from a bottle of real HW you will see that there is very little yeast in there. No need to overdo it for HB.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #34
k35r
Recipes 

I kegged this recipe over the weekend (first kegged batch...Yay!). It is tasty and definitely very similar to Paulaner. It was a relatively quick/violent fermentation, but I did not take gravity readings, or really any good notes (I'm useless).
I did not rack to a secondary, but I kinda wished I did whenever I moved the carboy and bits of dried krausen and yeast junk got washed into the beer. I started with a blow-off tube on a 6 gallon carboy but after 20 hours it was only a moderate amount of activity and decided to switch to an airlock. Mistake. About an hour later there was a volcano of beer erupting out of the airlock. It was fun to watch but also made a mess. Switched back to the blow off tube (I used the biggest tubing my LHBS had stuffed into the top, 1 inch? can't remember exactly) until the fermentation slowed. Fermentation temp was around 73-75 but the fermometer was showing closer to 80+.

I've already bought ingredients to brew this again soon but am going to try dried wheat yeast (safale brand?) to compare to the liquid yeast. With a boilover, high ferment temps, no secondary and still good/great results, I'm looking forward to batch #2

Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #35
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had racked it into a primary w/o a spout so I siphoned into the bottling bucket. The top was super clean when I popped it off and the beer was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. I bottled it 4 days ago and it is looking good as can be. Can't wait to try this one!

Notable mentionings: I kept this one cookin' in the primary at a steady 74* the whole time. Now it's carbing at 71-72*. Batch yield of 50 beers with slight spillage on my part.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #36
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

It should be almost ready to drink by next weekend.

I recommend placing 2 botles in the freezer for about 30 mins before trying one. The second one should taste better.

If the head and carbonation are good enough for you then place all the bottles in the fridge for a day or two. I know it sounds like a long wait, but the extra time in the cold really improves the brew.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 03-06-2009 at 03:26 AM.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #37
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k35r View Post
I kegged this recipe over the weekend (first kegged batch...Yay!). It is tasty and definitely very similar to Paulaner. It was a relatively quick/violent fermentation, but I did not take gravity readings, or really any good notes (I'm useless).
I did not rack to a secondary, but I kinda wished I did whenever I moved the carboy and bits of dried krausen and yeast junk got washed into the beer. I started with a blow-off tube on a 6 gallon carboy but after 20 hours it was only a moderate amount of activity and decided to switch to an airlock. Mistake. About an hour later there was a volcano of beer erupting out of the airlock. It was fun to watch but also made a mess. Switched back to the blow off tube (I used the biggest tubing my LHBS had stuffed into the top, 1 inch? can't remember exactly) until the fermentation slowed. Fermentation temp was around 73-75 but the fermometer was showing closer to 80+.

I've already bought ingredients to brew this again soon but am going to try dried wheat yeast (safale brand?) to compare to the liquid yeast. With a boilover, high ferment temps, no secondary and still good/great results, I'm looking forward to batch #2
Sounds like you had too much fun...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #38
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
It should be almost ready to drink by next weekend.

I recommend placing 2 botles in the freezer for about 30 mins before trying one. The second one should taste batter.

If the head and carbonation are good enough for you then place all the bottles in the fridge for a day or two. I know it sounds like a long wait, but the extra time in the cold really improves the brew.
I'll put a couple in the freezer when I get off of work today and test them out. If they're as good as they look, I'll be tossing them all in the fridge!

This is my first homebrew'd hefeweizen, do you put the bottle in the bottom of the glass and slowly pull it out as with others, or does the little bit of trub give off-flavors?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #39
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great beer.

I will re-brew this. I messed up on the carbonation level though! I put 7.2 oz of priming sugar (corn sugar) when I should have put 9 oz in. So it's a little flat for a Hefe', but it is a great recipe. I may actually brew another batch this weekend along with a Dunk.

Everything else was spot on. Color, aroma, taste, etc.

Kipis Bill! Great tasting recipe! I highly recommend!

~juice~

Old 03-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #40
mkw87
Recipes 

Mine has been bottled for several months now and the harsh off-flavor seems to have mellowed out. I'm enjoying one right now

Bottled : Apfelwein, Blackberry Mead, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Kolsch

Next Up: Blackberry ? and a Boch of some sort

Quick Reply