Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #121
s2cmpugh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
7lbs german wheat malt, 2.75lb german pilsner malt, 1lb rice or oat hulls, mash 150f for 90 min
1 oz 2.4hub hallertau for 60 min
( some of my own i added 4oz belgian aromatic malt an 2oz of acid malt i mashed it in with the other grain)
mash with 2 gallons sparg with one gallon
Thanks for the recipe! What do the rice or oat hulls do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #122
foxyaardvark
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Just wondering. What is the advantage of adding the Wheat DME 1 lb. at a time for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Wouldn't you get better extraction from adding all of the DME for the entirety of the 60 minute boil? Also, with a 4 gallon brewpot, am I going to have severe boil-over issues with this brew? Thanks!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #123
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyaardvark
Just wondering. What is the advantage of adding the Wheat DME 1 lb. at a time for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Wouldn't you get better extraction from adding all of the DME for the entirety of the 60 minute boil? Also, with a 4 gallon brewpot, am I going to have severe boil-over issues with this brew? Thanks!
Ive always heard that a late addition of extract will keep the color lighter, avoiding carmelization. This is a very light beer, or at least it should be. 60 min boil of all the extract at once can lead to darker colored beer. There may be other reasons that I am unaware of.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #124
scottsaxman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on the violent fermentation... Coming out of the 7.9 gallon brew bucket about 12 hours after pitching. I used a smack pack but no starter. I did think to put the bucket in a bigger container so cleanup won't be so bad.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #125
Jakeman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2cmpugh View Post
Thanks for the recipe! What do the rice or oat hulls do?
helps filter it a bit

Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #126
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am really, REALLY wanting to do this recipe, but can anyone explain their steeping, sparging, and topping off processes they do with this recipe in a little more detail? Those seem to be the only parts of the original instructions that are a bit confusing to me. I known what these processes are, but am a bit befuddled...

Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #127
scottsaxman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you have a small mesh grain bag or cheesecloth, put the grains in there and steep (like you are making tea) at 150*F. Just let it sit for the time indicated. If you don't have a bag, just put the grains straight into the pot and strain it out later. If you have a bag, pull it out and sparge (rinse) the grains with the sparge water. If no bag, run water through the strained grains. Really, for no more grain than is there, it won't be a big deal either way, as the bulk of the fermentables are in the DME.

Topping off is just adding cold water to reach whatever volume you need in the fermenter, in this case 5.25 gallons.

I made this recipe recently and bottled on July 4th, so I'm patiently waiting for it to carbonate and be ready to drink! Good luck.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #128
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Fermented and waiting...

I brewed up a batch of this last Thursday, so as of today it has been 6 days. The airlock now bubbles maybe once every ten seconds or more, so as per instructions in post #01 it should be done; however, herein lies the problem - my only keg's still holding about a 1.5 gallons of Brandon-O's Graf and I've got no more space for bottles. Thus, I am wondering how long I can leave this in the primary. Throughout the thread others have said they left it for a month in the primary. Isn't that a bit much for this recipe? I'll get around to drinking the rest of the Graf this weekend, but I worry because it's been hot here - above the 80s everyday and the therm sticker has read a steady 70 for the entire 6 days the hef has been in the closet. If I leave it longer then the 6 days will it be ok with this temp? Will it develop extreme banana flavor? Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #129
dahray02
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i'm considering brewing this next...is there a partial mash/mini-mash version of the recipe?

edit:
nevermind...i just read through the thread more carefully and noticed this isn't an all grain recipe

Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #130
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This beer sure did come out A-Mazing. It's a very simple and quick recipe too. I drained the whole 5 gallon keg in two weeks almost all by myself

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about adding a slight hint of rasberry to this recipe and am curious if anyone out there has tried it. I've read quite a few of the other rasberry wheat recipes, but I don't have an available secondary (... and money's spent on kegging system for now) and I am wondering if I could just add a small amout of rasberry puree to the primary after its reached FG and just let it sit a few more days on the yeasties - then rack it and keg it. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how this would work or turn out?

Thanks! Check out the pic!

downsized_0803021901.jpg  

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Quick Reply