Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Orange Honey Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #101
Grasslands
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finally transferred to the keg the other night, had a taste and WOW that's tart! Those raspberries really add a bit of pucker! All that matters is that the SWMBO enjoyed the sample, something in which she rarely partakes. I don't get as much of the honey just yet - uncarbonated it's like a weird mix between a raspberry white zinfadel and an ale. Let's see how she turns out!

GrassLands Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #102
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I brewed up a 10 gallon batch of this last Saturday to get ready for the girlfriends housewarming party. In screwing with the recipe at work to adjust for my efficiency, I somehow just doubled the Pils as I should, to 10 lbs, but left the wheat malt at 4 lbs. With 2 lbs of honey and my efficiency, I hit what I was targeting, just stupidly screwed up the ratios.

But, had a taste tonight after only 10 days, as I took a gravity reading and moved to a better aging spot, and it tasted fantastic for a green, not fully done, 69* beer. Very much looking forward to pulling my first pint of this.

Not sure if the ratio of less wheat malt will effect this, but I did experiment. Pitched 1 WLP300 pack to one 5 gallong batch. Pitched 2 packs to the other. No starters. I wanted to under pitch the one to see if I get the banana, and properly pitch the other looking for clove. Did both at the same temp, 63* for the first 6 days, slowly going up to 69* after that. Well be interested to see if people can tell the difference.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #103
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Brewed 10 gallon version of this last week, ended up with an OG of 1.050.

Substituted clover honey that I had around the house, bittered with Hallertau and pitched Weihenstephan Weizen yeast. I zested six organic Valencia oranges and am soaking them in 1 cup of Everclear, hopefully that ratio works well with ten gallons.

Thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to serving this one at our brew club summer campout.

Kegged: Trippel, Cream Stout, Belgian IPA '13, Nut Brown Ale, Am. Amber, Hot Walker Pale Ale

Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #104
BockBurner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for this recipe post. It sounds awesome. I ended up at 50 instead of 52 for my OG, but I'm a skoshe over 5 gallons, so I think I'll be good there. Just finished it a couple hours ago. Any suggestion on how to treat the orange zest with a keg? Sorry if you touched on that already, but 'keg' search on this thread yielded zero results.

JB

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #105
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Check the "soaked zest" paragraph on the original post. You extract the oils from the zest, don't actually add the physical zest.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #106
BockBurner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ah. Gotcha. You add the vodka, not the zest, right?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #107
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BockBurner View Post
Ah. Gotcha. You add the vodka, not the zest, right?
You got it. I soak it for a week or two then pour it through a coffee filter rubber banded around a pint glass to strain it.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #108
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I served my version of this beer at most recent Lagers/Fossils brewclub campout; it was huge hit!! Blew through that keg in no time. The beer was perfect for the hot summer weather.

Luckily I made 10 gallons, so I still have a lot more to enjoy the rest of this summer.

Kegged: Trippel, Cream Stout, Belgian IPA '13, Nut Brown Ale, Am. Amber, Hot Walker Pale Ale

Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #109
kschrodt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I've always been on the fence about using vodka in my beers. Would it impart any taste, especially when using a dirt cheap vodka?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #110
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A small amount of vodka isn't going to change the flavor of 5 gallons of beer. However, I personally recommend grain alcohol; mine had no flavor at all other than the orange.

Quick Reply