Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Orange Clove Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
elkhornbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just brewed one close to this. I am farily new to homebrewing so after talking with my LHBS and doing a little research I made some changes they are as follows: I brewed this with 1oz. orange the guy at the LHBS messed up and only gave me that one package. I cut the cloves in half but added one stick of true cinnamon while i was steeping my grains I opted that over adding it later in the boil because i didn't want it to over power all the other flavors. I also went with the WYEAST 3068. If anyone has any suggestions or comments I would like that like I said I am new to homebrewing and am excited to see how this one turns out. I brewed on 2-12

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 AM   #12
findlaym
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

mine fermented like a carbomb. blew out the airlock within 12 hours, no starter. I did however harvest a bunch of krausen though so it wasn't all bad. been out working for a bit but I'll be home right on the 3 week mark.

I'll let you know how it turned out.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #13
findlaym
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had my first bottle of this tonight. Clearly I fermented too warm because I have a lot of banana notes. There's not as much orange and clove as I would have expected based on the amounts. I guess that's ok. Mouthfeel is great and overall the beer is very drinkable. I need to to my temp control more refined and then I'll take another crack at this.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good to hear it turned out alright. I have been thinking of trying a different yeast with it to try and take away that strong banana flavour. Any ideas?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #15
findlaym
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah I have a couple of other wheat style yeasts here that I could try. I'm told that 3068 requires precise temp control to get things to come out right. clearly, I don't have that yet. I don't know where I can get white labs yeast here in Ontario and I'm hesitant to mail order anything till spring in case my precious yeast spends an hour or 2 in the mail box... There are at least 2 other hefe yeasts in the wyeast catalog that might do the trick nicely. I would even be tempted to try a batch with an american wheat yeast just to see. It wouldn't be a hefe then, maybe it would be so awesome that I wouldn't care. I'm really happy with how this beer has turned out. it's not exactly what I was expecting but it's a good start. If I get motivated to try out some changes to the recipe I will post em up for sure.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #16
elkhornbrewing
Recipes 

just brewed this one agian got some questions i changed the hops to amarillo hops so given the fact that they are a stronger hop i cut them back to .08 oz everything else was exactly the same except for i added a cinnamon stick to the steeping sack as i have with both batches before.......however i checked the og at about 75 degrees when shortly before i pitched my yeast and i came up with 1.030 which is way low......i did add enough water to get the full 5 gals. What did i do to make the og so low is my question?? was it just i checked my og at 75 instead of 60 where my gauge is set to or that i shouldnt of added that much water any ideas would be great i am just worried i spent all this time and brewed a beer that is a whole 2.75%

Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #17
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Measuring at 75 will only bump you down .002. I really don't know what you did wrong... Maybe you didn't stir in the top off water well enough and that would throw the gravity off. When I did this one it was a full boil so I am guessing it has to do with your top off water.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
elkhornbrewing
Recipes 

Thanks for the help i took a gravity reading when i transfered to my secondary and it was dead on where it should of been. I had good fermentation with a good sedament base when i drained my primary and my secondary is 4 days through and i am still getting a good base build up. So i am going to to agree that it was more then likly a poor mix after i did the top off. However on that note i am going to be done with extract brewing and am planning my first AG brew within the next 2 weeks. I have a cooler ordered and will be building the manifold the day it arrives (whoever thought that owning a hardware store would be such a benifit to homebrewing!!!!) so thanks again for all the help and i will be sure to post the results of my first AG batch and when and if i have any problems.

Quick Reply