Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Partial - Oberdorfer Weissbier Clone - Extract w/ Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #31
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think i'm going to keg this beer. It will be my first time kegging. i know wheat beers usually have high carbonation, do you have any specific recommendations for this beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #32
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok This is my suggestion.

Look at this link and select the beer type then set your CO2 based on the temp you plan to store the keg at for serving.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...l?15905421#tag

If I was to do this i would shoot for 2.3-2.5 volumes of CO2 ~ 12-15psi

The German one of 3.6-4.5 is way too high unless you have oodles of beer line (like 50') between the keg and the faucet. If you don't it will just shoot a glass of foam until you blow through the whole keg.

12-15psi is high for mine with 5' of 3/16" beer line from keg to faucet.

So,

1. Carbonate at 12-15PSI.
  2. Then at serving time disconnect the gas or shut it off.
  3. Vent the keg.
  4. Dial the regulator to something like 5psi (or lower) then reattach the gas line and serve. Set it whatever is high enough to serve it without beer gushing out the faucet or delivering a ton of foam.

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL - DON'T MESS THIS UP! BE SURE TO VENT THE KEG BEFORE ATTACHING THE LOWER PRESSURE GAS OR BEER WILL GET IN YOUR GAS LINE!

I have done this mistakenly more than once. Its aggravating to try to clean and dry the gas line. This usually only happens on full kegs where the bottom of the gas tube is below the fill level.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #33
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome thanks Schlenkerla!

I secondaried the beer yesterday after 7 in the primary. the yeast has settled a lot surprisingly. It looks like my pale ale did after several weeks in the primary... I guess i'll just suck up a bit of that yeast when i rack to the keg in 2 weeks.

Some how this yeast strain seems to be more flocculent than the nottingham and US-05 i used in my first batches.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would rack as would normal if you plan to keg. The yeast that's typical in wheat beers is either from a bottle or fresh from a primed keg (of course with lower flocculation).

You could also decide to naturally carbonate this beer in the keg if you want to have that character. The odds sound like it will clear regardless though.

I suppose you can shake the keg to rouse the yeast before serving too.

Don't be disappointed if it clears.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #35
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just wanted to report back on how great this beer is! me and a friend drank a quarter keg last night and it was unbelievably smooth and flavorful. I actually prefer it over the Franziskaner that I buy pretty often!
Mine fermented at 70 for most of the primary so it has this awesome banana flavor.
If you're looking for a recipe this one is fantastic! Also give it props!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #36
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Hey all, I'm looking to brew this tomorrow as my first ever partial mash. I've been doing extract, and a few 'partial extract' brews with specialty grains, but this will be my first ever TRUE "partial mash", as well as my first ever experience using actual base malts. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it, however I have just one question. Due to the width of my 7.5 gallon kettle (which is the only one I have), 3 quarts is going to be far too shallow to steep 2 pounds of grain in, so would it be alright to steep in perhaps 6-9 quarts of water? Thanks a lot guys ! Cheers, 17 !

Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #37
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Also, should I do this as a 'BIAB' or simply put the grains in two separate cheese cloth grain bags that you get at the LHBS and tie them off?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #38
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Also has anyone tried omitting the Irish moss?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #39
mr_rogers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't use the Irish moss and it turned out great. You should be fine starting off with enough water to submerge your grains in. I'm not sure what the BIAB instructions are but you want the grains in a bag so that you can remove them before the boil.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #40
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just brewed this as my FIRST ever Partial/ mini mash/ brew in a bag. SMELLED GREAT. Used Hallertau instead Mt. Hood (of course) and omitted the Irish moss (as a true Hefe should). set it up with a blow off tube (as I here this yeast strain is intense) and hoping for the best I also didn't use a started for my yeast, though the smack pack was a good 3 inches swollen and ready to explode when I pitched it. Cheers, and 17 all ! :cheers:

Quick Reply