Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Partial - Oberdorfer Weissbier Clone - Extract w/ Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
jayhuff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

The ability to drink this one soon is why I love hefe's. I am new to this, but in order to let my ales age, I will be brewing hefeweizens on a 2 to 1 ratio. I have a pumpkin ale almost ready to bottle, so I am going to be interested in drinking this one with the ale to compare the differences. Once I brew the pumpkin hefe, I'll post the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Jayhuff - How did this turn out for you?

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
jayhuff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Wow! i forgot about posting on this one. I did both and they were both gone quick! I am brewing this again in a week. It is a great drinking beer. The pumpkin one turned out good, but the pumpkin was pretty strong in this one.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #14
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhuff View Post
Wow! i forgot about posting on this one. I did both and they were both gone quick! I am brewing this again in a week. It is a great drinking beer. The pumpkin one turned out good, but the pumpkin was pretty strong in this one.

I'm glad you liked it.

I may have to do this again soon. I'm not much for brewing all grain when its 15'F. (I brew AG outside)

I loved this beer too.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just opened the first bottle of this.

The first few sips were pretty much devoid of flavor and aroma, but after I got down about an inch it opened up really nicely. There's definitely a discernable For my money, I might push for a slightly larger grain bill next time (an extra two pounds of pilsener malt maybe?) and add a pound of carapils.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:02 AM   #16
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pericles View Post
Just opened the first bottle of this.

The first few sips were pretty much devoid of flavor and aroma, but after I got down about an inch it opened up really nicely. There's definitely a discernable For my money, I might push for a slightly larger grain bill next time (an extra two pounds of pilsener malt maybe?) and add a pound of carapils.
I'm glad the follow-up sipps did it for you. Serving etiquette is important with a german hefe. At least to me. I need a Tall glass - big head. You need to get a waff of the banana-clove ester that 3068 gives the beer.

Your suggestions about the bump in the grain bill... Maybe, if it was a partial mash. This is and extract with grains so a bulk of the fermentables comes from the extract. The OG is 1.058 so its already big.(6%abv) If you added 2# of pilsener + 1# carapils. That would take the grain bill to a whopping 5lbs.

I calculated the OG it would be 1.074. It would be way too big. (8.2% ABV) If you yanked out one can of LME your wheat content would only be 32%. Hardly a hefe. 12% wheat grain + 39%/2 LME = ~32% Wheat LME is generally a 50/50 blend or wheat & barley. OG at 1.051 (5%) This would make it more of a PM with very little wheat for a hefe.

My observation of this beer was that it had nice aroma a flavor. Most of which comes from using wyeast 3068. A well carbed beer will be good a quaffer with nice aroma. You have to pour this sucker in a hefe glass and let it foam up and swill some yeast into the glass too.

BS Nano-Brewery

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 04-03-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #17
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Try a nice big fast pour and see if you think differently.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
pericles
Recipes 

between additional conditioning time, adjusting to the flavor, and your pouring suggestions, this has really rounded out even more nicely than when I first opened a bottle. I think in lieu of a larger grain bill, I might, in future - there will be a future for this, btw - add an additional half ounce of cascade hops. They hit their prime about three days ago, and are now starting to wane. When they were the most powerful, the beer felt incredibly crisp and clean to me, which I really enjoyed.

EDIT: Since this is joining the ranks of my 'regulars,' I made it a label. It's in the labels forum.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 AM   #19
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cheers to the Gosser cooler, I have spent some time in Leoben and was subsequently let loose on the taps at the brewery. Somewhere I have a picture of that.
-ander

Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #20
pericles
Recipes 

I just cracked open my first bottle of my second batch of this wheat. It spent 7 days in the primary, and 6 days in the bottle (so far - it was an early test bottle) and I was really impressed. Clean taste, crisp carbonation, no fruity esters. I did a few things differently the second time around though:

(1) I only used .25oz coriander. My first batch was STRONGLY spiced, and I prefer something a little more subtle. I leave the spice bag in the pot from 5min through chilling, so people who only add the bag during the boil, or only at flameout, might get different experiences.

(2) I added seeds of paradise. If you're fan, they're sitting well with this beer. If not, don't bother. It's a minor addition, just 2gm, and they're not for everyone.

(3) I used WLP 410. It makes this into a Belgian, and eliminates ALL the banana overtones. If you're like me, you leave bananas for the fruit salad, and take your beer beer flavored.

I have two more variations in the mix:

(1) I reserved a gallon of the wort from THIS batch and poured it over .4lb cranberries. I'll let you know.

(2) I upped the amount of pilsener malt in my NEXT 5gal batch to 3lb, and reduced the amount of wheat correspondingly. I was looking for something in a Sam Summer Ale for SWMBO.

+1 to Schlenkerla. I enjoyed this brew when I made it exactingly to his recipe the first time around, and I've been impressed by its ability to forgive errors, and accept changes/additions. Very versatile, and easy to play with.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Quick Reply