Weissbier Oberdorfer Weissbier Clone - Extract w/ Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 3068
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days @ 62-68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 62-68
Its tastes pretty damn good. I used 3068 but my first impression (sucking foam) was of Hoegaarten Wit. I was getting mostly aroma. Further down you can taste the clovey-ness.

I'd put this solidly in the hefe catagory!

This is easy drinking. My glass is almost empty as I add this post!

beer_photos_009.jpg

Oberdorfer Weissbier Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A German Wheat and Rye Beer, Weizen/Weissbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 2.50
Total Extract (Lbs): 8.60
Anticipated OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.22
Anticipated SRM: 5.1
Anticipated IBU: 15.7
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 2.94 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.098 SG 23.36 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
11.6 1.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
11.6 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
76.7 6.60 lbs. Briess LME- Weizen America 1.035 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 3.90 14.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 3.90 1.2 2 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.15 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Des Moine - Fleur Drive
Profile known for: Drinking & Bathing

Calcium(Ca): 35.2 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 21.3 ppm
Sodium(Na): 21.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 54.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 39.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 105.3 ppm

pH: 8.32

Notes
-----

Add grain to 3 qrts of 152 water & steep for 30 minutes.

Rinse grain w/ 3
qrts water @ 170F

Add water to make 3 gallons ~ 1.75 gallons

Add 3.3 lbs
of extract and boil.

Add bittering hops

At 15 min and Irish Moss and 3.3lbs of extract.

At 2 min add finishing hops

Wow - I'm really disappointed. :mad:

Nobody even commented on my nice Gosser six-pack cooler. :D

I'm drinking this Hefe an its mighty nice. Love the banana aroma/taste!!:ban:

homebrewer_99 said:
Looks like lots of nibbles, but no bites...:D

I'm sure it tastes great, but why did you use Mt Hood hops and Irish Moss?

Kinda not IAW the Reinheitsgebot and inappropriate hops for the style.

I couldn't get the noble hops (Hallertauer?) so the LHBS substituited with Mt Hood. I don't know why on the irish moss, it was part of the recipe.

I'd agree now that you mention it that its kind of pointless to use it in this beer.

Damn tasty...:mug:

That's good to know!!! :)

I'm pretty open to substitutes on hops in light of the shortage. I always like trying something different. I don't do AHA/BJCP competitions so it doesn't really matter to me.

I really like this hefe.

I'm drinking this now. How awesome it tastes. The balance of banana, clove and tartness is perfect!

Got friends over now, they love this. One said this has been the best beer of mine that they have tasted!!

If you are looking for a good spring/summer beer you need to try this!!!

I am doing a brew (2 actually) of this coming up in two weeks. I will be using some harvested WP300 and Tettnanger. I will do one batch per your recipe and another as a pumpkin wheat. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I am doing a brew (2 actually) of this coming up in two weeks. I will be using some harvested WP300 and Tettnanger. I will do one batch per your recipe and another as a pumpkin wheat. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Let me know how you like this one. Post your pumpkin wheat. Leave me a link when you do.

I drank this one so fast. Its good right after its carbed. No aging really needed. I bottled this, I also made sure to pour a half bottle, stopped swirled the bottle to raise the yeast, they dumped it in to my hefe glass.

:mug:

The ability to drink this one soon is why I love hefe's. I am new to this, but in order to let my ales age, I will be brewing hefeweizens on a 2 to 1 ratio. I have a pumpkin ale almost ready to bottle, so I am going to be interested in drinking this one with the ale to compare the differences. Once I brew the pumpkin hefe, I'll post the recipe. :)

Wow! i forgot about posting on this one. I did both and they were both gone quick! I am brewing this again in a week. It is a great drinking beer. The pumpkin one turned out good, but the pumpkin was pretty strong in this one.

Wow! i forgot about posting on this one. I did both and they were both gone quick! I am brewing this again in a week. It is a great drinking beer. The pumpkin one turned out good, but the pumpkin was pretty strong in this one.

I'm glad you liked it.

I may have to do this again soon. I'm not much for brewing all grain when its 15'F. (I brew AG outside)

I loved this beer too. :rockin:

Just opened the first bottle of this.

The first few sips were pretty much devoid of flavor and aroma, but after I got down about an inch it opened up really nicely. There's definitely a discernable For my money, I might push for a slightly larger grain bill next time (an extra two pounds of pilsener malt maybe?) and add a pound of carapils.

Just opened the first bottle of this.

The first few sips were pretty much devoid of flavor and aroma, but after I got down about an inch it opened up really nicely. There's definitely a discernable For my money, I might push for a slightly larger grain bill next time (an extra two pounds of pilsener malt maybe?) and add a pound of carapils.

I'm glad the follow-up sipps did it for you. Serving etiquette is important with a german hefe. At least to me. I need a Tall glass - big head. You need to get a waff of the banana-clove ester that 3068 gives the beer.
:ban:

Your suggestions about the bump in the grain bill... Maybe, if it was a partial mash. This is and extract with grains so a bulk of the fermentables comes from the extract. The OG is 1.058 so its already big.(6%abv) If you added 2# of pilsener + 1# carapils. That would take the grain bill to a whopping 5lbs.

I calculated the OG it would be 1.074. It would be way too big. (8.2% ABV) If you yanked out one can of LME your wheat content would only be 32%. Hardly a hefe. 12% wheat grain + 39%/2 LME = ~32% Wheat LME is generally a 50/50 blend or wheat & barley. OG at 1.051 (5%) This would make it more of a PM with very little wheat for a hefe.

My observation of this beer was that it had nice aroma a flavor. Most of which comes from using wyeast 3068. A well carbed beer will be good a quaffer with nice aroma. You have to pour this sucker in a hefe glass and let it foam up and swill some yeast into the glass too.

between additional conditioning time, adjusting to the flavor, and your pouring suggestions, this has really rounded out even more nicely than when I first opened a bottle. I think in lieu of a larger grain bill, I might, in future - there will be a future for this, btw - add an additional half ounce of cascade hops. They hit their prime about three days ago, and are now starting to wane. When they were the most powerful, the beer felt incredibly crisp and clean to me, which I really enjoyed.

EDIT: Since this is joining the ranks of my 'regulars,' I made it a label. It's in the labels forum.

Cheers to the Gosser cooler, I have spent some time in Leoben and was subsequently let loose on the taps at the brewery. Somewhere I have a picture of that.
-ander

I just cracked open my first bottle of my second batch of this wheat. It spent 7 days in the primary, and 6 days in the bottle (so far - it was an early test bottle) and I was really impressed. Clean taste, crisp carbonation, no fruity esters. I did a few things differently the second time around though:

(1) I only used .25oz coriander. My first batch was STRONGLY spiced, and I prefer something a little more subtle. I leave the spice bag in the pot from 5min through chilling, so people who only add the bag during the boil, or only at flameout, might get different experiences.

(2) I added seeds of paradise. If you're fan, they're sitting well with this beer. If not, don't bother. It's a minor addition, just 2gm, and they're not for everyone.

(3) I used WLP 410. It makes this into a Belgian, and eliminates ALL the banana overtones. If you're like me, you leave bananas for the fruit salad, and take your beer beer flavored.

I have two more variations in the mix:

(1) I reserved a gallon of the wort from THIS batch and poured it over .4lb cranberries. I'll let you know.

(2) I upped the amount of pilsener malt in my NEXT 5gal batch to 3lb, and reduced the amount of wheat correspondingly. I was looking for something in a Sam Summer Ale for SWMBO.

+1 to Schlenkerla. I enjoyed this brew when I made it exactingly to his recipe the first time around, and I've been impressed by its ability to forgive errors, and accept changes/additions. Very versatile, and easy to play with.

I made this the other day, but I used Hallertauer hops instead of mount hood though. I also used WLP380 instead.

Smells wonderful, and the OG sample tasted promising though.

I brewed this last weekend, but noticed that my fermentation temp was up around 82F, not sure how long it was there before I noticed it.

I used the yeast listed in the recipe. Am I likely to have overpowering esters and nasty fusol tastes?

I'm going to brew this weekend and I think the reviews have one me over for this recipe. This will be my third batch ever and I'm pumped to try a solid hefe. I'll be changing out the Mt. Hood with Hallertauer hops to stick with tradition for now. It seems this recipe allows for a lot of alteration/customization, so I'll probably experiment with it on round two. Some have claimed that hefe's carbonate quickly, I am wondering what the time frame?

I think the carbonation is the same for most beers that have similar OGs.

I think the thing with Hefe's is they ready to drink early because the yeast doesn't need to drop out. Ferment it to the FG, carb it for a week or two then drink. No aging required. :rockin:

I just brewed your recipe with a few small changes, although i'm sure your original would be fantastic as well!

I subbed the mt hood hops for hallertaur and the aroma hops i used were tettanger. It smells great fermenting at 72 degrees.

Can i really bottle this in a week? that seems way too fast but i can't lie and say i wouldn't like to try it sooner rather than later!

I just brewed your recipe with a few small changes, although i'm sure your original would be fantastic as well!

I subbed the mt hood hops for hallertaur and the aroma hops i used were tettanger. It smells great fermenting at 72 degrees.

Can i really bottle this in a week? that seems way too fast but i can't lie and say i wouldn't like to try it sooner rather than later!

The recipe has one week primary, two weeks secondary. 3 weeks total. If you plan to skip the 2ndary wait three weeks.

ok that's what i thought.
Pericles said " just cracked open my first bottle of my second batch of this wheat. It spent 7 days in the primary, and 6 days in the bottle" so i was wondering if anyone else has bottled so quickly.

I think i'll do a secondary so that i can slightly reduce the amount of yeast that i suck up when i bottle.

ok that's what i thought.

I think i'll do a secondary so that i can slightly reduce the amount of yeast that i suck up when i bottle.

Good idea, if you rack after one week you can cut down on the excessive yeast, and the beer farts. :cross:

Also, if you bottle with natural carbonation, the yeast sediment will be enough to make this slightly cloudy and add yeast character without too much trub in your glass. :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

I think i'm going to keg this beer. It will be my first time kegging. i know wheat beers usually have high carbonation, do you have any specific recommendations for this beer?

Ok This is my suggestion.

Look at this link and select the beer type then set your CO2 based on the temp you plan to store the keg at for serving.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?15905421#tag

If I was to do this i would shoot for 2.3-2.5 volumes of CO2 ~ 12-15psi

The German one of 3.6-4.5 is way too high unless you have oodles of beer line (like 50') between the keg and the faucet. If you don't it will just shoot a glass of foam until you blow through the whole keg.

12-15psi is high for mine with 5' of 3/16" beer line from keg to faucet.

So,

1. Carbonate at 12-15PSI.
  2. Then at serving time disconnect the gas or shut it off.
  3. Vent the keg.
  4. Dial the regulator to something like 5psi (or lower) then reattach the gas line and serve. Set it whatever is high enough to serve it without beer gushing out the faucet or delivering a ton of foam.

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL - DON'T MESS THIS UP! BE SURE TO VENT THE KEG BEFORE ATTACHING THE LOWER PRESSURE GAS OR BEER WILL GET IN YOUR GAS LINE!

I have done this mistakenly more than once. Its aggravating to try to clean and dry the gas line. This usually only happens on full kegs where the bottom of the gas tube is below the fill level.

Awesome thanks Schlenkerla!

I secondaried the beer yesterday after 7 in the primary. the yeast has settled a lot surprisingly. It looks like my pale ale did after several weeks in the primary... I guess i'll just suck up a bit of that yeast when i rack to the keg in 2 weeks.

Some how this yeast strain seems to be more flocculent than the nottingham and US-05 i used in my first batches.

I would rack as would normal if you plan to keg. The yeast that's typical in wheat beers is either from a bottle or fresh from a primed keg (of course with lower flocculation).

You could also decide to naturally carbonate this beer in the keg if you want to have that character. The odds sound like it will clear regardless though.

I suppose you can shake the keg to rouse the yeast before serving too.

Don't be disappointed if it clears.

I just wanted to report back on how great this beer is! me and a friend drank a quarter keg last night and it was unbelievably smooth and flavorful. I actually prefer it over the Franziskaner that I buy pretty often!
Mine fermented at 70 for most of the primary so it has this awesome banana flavor.
If you're looking for a recipe this one is fantastic! Also give it props!

Hey all, I'm looking to brew this tomorrow as my first ever partial mash. I've been doing extract, and a few 'partial extract' brews with specialty grains, but this will be my first ever TRUE "partial mash", as well as my first ever experience using actual base malts. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it, however I have just one question. Due to the width of my 7.5 gallon kettle (which is the only one I have), 3 quarts is going to be far too shallow to steep 2 pounds of grain in, so would it be alright to steep in perhaps 6-9 quarts of water? Thanks a lot guys ! Cheers, 17 ! :mug:

Also, should I do this as a 'BIAB' or simply put the grains in two separate cheese cloth grain bags that you get at the LHBS and tie them off?

I didn't use the Irish moss and it turned out great. You should be fine starting off with enough water to submerge your grains in. I'm not sure what the BIAB instructions are but you want the grains in a bag so that you can remove them before the boil.

I just brewed this as my FIRST ever Partial/ mini mash/ brew in a bag. SMELLED GREAT. Used Hallertau instead Mt. Hood (of course) and omitted the Irish moss (as a true Hefe should). set it up with a blow off tube (as I here this yeast strain is intense) and hoping for the best :D I also didn't use a started for my yeast, though the smack pack was a good 3 inches swollen and ready to explode when I pitched it. Cheers, and 17 all ! :cheers:

Back