Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Light Rye Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 AM   #61
MikePote
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yesterday a little fairy landed on my shoulder and told me to brew something with rye. I have only had one rye beer (two brothers cane and ebel) and it was wonderful. I decided to go with the modified recipe on page 4, bought the ingredients today and will brew tomorrow. Results in 5 or 6 weeks!

If Im on homebrewtalk im probably drunk... Don't pretend your not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #62
MikePote
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePote View Post
Yesterday a little fairy landed on my shoulder and told me to brew something with rye. I have only had one rye beer (two brothers cane and ebel) and it was wonderful. I decided to go with the modified recipe on page 4, bought the ingredients today and will brew tomorrow. Results in 5 or 6 weeks!
This beer is really good. Pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be - a great, light, crisp noon on sunday lawnmower beer.

I am going to brew again tomorrow or wednesday and a a half pound of crystal 10. I may also split the batch and try an amarillo dryhop in one batch.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #63
MikePote
Recipes 

Brewed it today. Results in a month or so.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #64
DeMerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So I was thinking I'd do the following (6gal) recipe:

7# Two Row Malt
3# Rye Malt
1# Flaked Corn
1# Canadian Wheat
1oz Centennial @ 60
Safesale US-05

Now the interesting part I'm contemplating was splitting the batch and risking 1/2 by trying to make a rye and ginger beer. From reading 1.5oz of shredded ginger in a bit of vodka for a couple of days direct into the fermenter should do the trick, maybe with some lemon juice. Boiling in some water may work just as well I suppose. I'd probably err on the side of caution and not go too strong.

Thoughts?

Old 06-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #65
DeMerchant
Recipes 

I brewed the above on Sunday and it is absolutely going crazy, here is a video. Once primary fermentation is pretty much done I'll wrack some onto the ginger. I was hoping that would be Sunday, but we'll see how it looks then.

In Bottles: OBK Irish Stout; OBK Sweet Stout; Thunderworm's American Wheat (w/ 1/2 batch strawberry variant)
Fermenting: MikeFlynn's Rye Ale (w/ 1/2 batch 'rye and ginger' variant); BarleyWater's Dark Chocolate Stout

Old 08-03-2014, 05:06 AM   #66
MikePote
Recipes 

10 weeks ago I brewed the modified recipe on page 4 plus a half pound of crystal 10. Really good. REALLY good. This has been the only beer I have brewed more than once and I plan on brewing it for a third time in the next week or so. Next time I am going to up the crystal to a half pound or pound of 40 (probably half) and it should be the perfect lawnmower beer. The rye kick is strong but it is very flavorful for a 5% beer. Thanks to OP and to Aubie Stout for modifing OP's recipe. Give this one a shot.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #67
DeMerchant
Recipes 

Yeah I loved the result of this beer, and am going to brew my second revision of it here soon. I had really poor head retention so I'm going to add 5% carafoam to the grain bill. I'm also going to bump up the hops and brew it with a citra, centennial, sorachi ace combo to give it a complex lemony kick.

The Rye and Ginger beer above turned out great as well. If anyone wants to try it in the future I would suggest .75oz of crushed ginger and .4 'lemons' worth of lemon concentrate per gallon of wort.

In Bottles: OBK Irish Stout; OBK Sweet Stout; Thunderworm's American Wheat (w/ 1/2 batch strawberry variant)
Fermenting: MikeFlynn's Rye Ale (w/ 1/2 batch 'rye and ginger' variant); BarleyWater's Dark Chocolate Stout

Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #68
MikePote
Recipes 

I just had a reprise from 4 hands brewing. Its a rye ale with all centennial hops and biscuit malt. Taste a little similar to the Aubie Stout recipe on page 4 that I love but the biscuit malt stands out and I love it. Im going to go all centennial hops and add half pound of biscuit malt to the page 4 version that I have brewed twice. Recipe to follow.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #69
MikePote
Recipes 

I am brewing attempt #3 tomorrow morning. I have brewed the first recipe on page 4 twice (once as posted, once with half pound crystal 10) and modified it a little this time. Dropped the rye and corn half pound each (rye was a little too strong and I didnt want to buy two pounds of corn) so I added a pound of 2 row to make up for the lost gravity. Today I picked up:

7# 2 row
1# flaked corn
1# rye malt
.5 crystal 20
.5 biscuit malt

.5 centennial @ FWH
.5 centennial @ 60
.5 centennial @ 10
.5 centennial dry hop (I shoot for 5 days but anywhere from 3-10 depending on when I can bottle)

US-05 @ 65ish

Wish me luck! Results in a month or so.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #70
aslander
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePote View Post
I am brewing attempt #3 tomorrow morning. I have brewed the first recipe on page 4 twice (once as posted, once with half pound crystal 10) and modified it a little this time. Dropped the rye and corn half pound each (rye was a little too strong and I didnt want to buy two pounds of corn) so I added a pound of 2 row to make up for the lost gravity. Today I picked up:

7# 2 row
1# flaked corn
1# rye malt
.5 crystal 20
.5 biscuit malt

.5 centennial @ FWH
.5 centennial @ 60
.5 centennial @ 10
.5 centennial dry hop (I shoot for 5 days but anywhere from 3-10 depending on when I can bottle)

US-05 @ 65ish

Wish me luck! Results in a month or so.
2 month mark, where's your results?!

Quick Reply