Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #781
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead

maybe subbing the base grain... swapping pislner for the pale malt... the yeast can be a direct swap for Wyeast 3333. Maybe doing a double decotion mash to get some extra flavors... but I'd stick with the limeade and hops
Interesting...I was never a big fan of Wyeast 3333, due the strong sulfur flavor it gives off...but I know you've brewed this a few times, so I might have to give it another try!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #782
KirkD
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
So I'm curious, for those of you who have brewed this recipe with all the original ingredients....where would you feel comfortable subbing? Grain, hops, yeast or limeade? I'm a little partial since its my recipe, but I'm curious what others are ok with.
Tastes so darn good almost afraid to mess with it.. I did think about trying Safale us-05 but have not.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #783
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
Interesting...I was never a big fan of Wyeast 3333, due the strong sulfur flavor it gives off...but I know you've brewed this a few times, so I might have to give it another try!
After having poor luck finding hops, I've got got my stash ready to go once I've got open fermentors.

I bought 3333 as a direct sub for hefe IV since I can double dip and use it for my Schwarz-Weizen.

Hopefully it cooks up the same for your recipe Slim!

Untapped

Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #784
1fast4door
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Day four, about to add Limeade. Quick question, I have 3.5 gallons in 2 fermenters (split 7 gallon batch). Should I scale back the limeade to 3/4 of a bottle per fermenter? Also, I'm doing 1 limeade and 1 Simply lemonade w/blueberry (lemon blueberry hefe!) I'm excited! I couldn't believe all the different Simply products at the store.

forumrunner_20130321_212408.jpg  

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #785
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast4door
Day four, about to add Limeade. Quick question, I have 3.5 gallons in 2 fermenters (split 7 gallon batch). Should I scale back the limeade to 3/4 of a bottle per fermenter? Also, I'm doing 1 limeade and 1 Simply lemonade w/blueberry (lemon blueberry hefe!) I'm excited! I couldn't believe all the different Simply products at the store.
Yeah I would go with 3/4

Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #786
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM
So I'm curious, for those of you who have brewed this recipe with all the original ingredients....where would you feel comfortable subbing? Grain, hops, yeast or limeade? I'm a little partial since its my recipe, but I'm curious what others are ok with.
If I were going to sub I'd say this recipes lends itself well to small changes. Maybe sub the Motueka for Citra or use simply lemonade with mango instead of limeade. Or maybe add a small bit of honey malt. After brewing your recipe exactly I made a spinoff type blonde ale. I switched the base malt to MO and added 4oz of honey malt, used US05, and switched the Sorachi Ace for Citra. Leaving everything else the same. It was a pretty good beer .

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Pumpkin Pie Cider
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #787
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing

If I were going to sub I'd say this recipes lends itself well to small changes. Maybe sub the Motueka for Citra or use simply lemonade with mango instead of limeade. Or maybe add a small bit of honey malt. After brewing your recipe exactly I made a spinoff type blonde ale. I switched the base malt to MO and added 4oz of honey malt, used US05, and switched the Sorachi Ace for Citra. Leaving everything else the same. It was a pretty good beer .
That sounds good, you should post the recipe for us to try!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #788
Turkeyleg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hey brother, if you could show some pictures of the lemon blueberry well in secondary that would be awesome. I've been very busy but next weekend I'm going to brew a 10 gal batch to get it ready for the summer.

I don't always drink beer but when I do I prefer.... Oh wait that's all I drink. Semper Fi

Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #789
1fast4door
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyleg View Post
Hey brother, if you could show some pictures of the lemon blueberry well in secondary that would be awesome.
I'm not going to secondary this one. I'm doing just like Slim, 3 week primary. But I will post pics of side by side between the 2.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #790
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast4door

I'm not going to secondary this one. I'm doing just like Slim, 3 week primary. But I will post pics of side by side between the 2.
I'm curious on the lemon blueberry flavor as well....I'm starting to believe that Simply has increased sales due to all of us brewing with it!

Quick Reply