Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #761
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,767
Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by caioz1jp View Post
I brew a similar beer with just sorrachi Ace. I saw this recipe and really want to try it but For some reason I am against the limeade addition. Has any one done this with just the hops and zest? Also i was looking to use WL320 instead becuase i dont want any clove or banana flavor since there is no limeade to hide it. Im really excited for teh Moteuka hop. Also has anyone used lemon zest instead of lime or does the lime add a bit more sweetness to it?
Experiment and let us know. I've not brewed this beer so am not speaking from experience, but if you do not use the limeade addition, it will surely be a very different beer.
Pappers_ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #762
AVLbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 173
Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by caioz1jp View Post
Don't even know how to respond to that. I have seen people complain about banana and clove taste over powering the beer from the listed yeast. That is why I decided to get a different witbeir yeast that does not have that. Those are flavors I do not enjoy with lemon and lime. As for the limeaid, I prefer to have more of a beer taste than the thin taste of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. The whole point of these threads are for people to share their experiences and help people build the beer to their taste.
I've only brewed this once, and it's just now finishing up in bottles so take what I have to saw with a grain of salt. From my samples so far the banana isn't overpowering, but there are certainly clove notes. As far as the lime taste, it isn't particularly overpowering either. I was a little worried about both of these as well so I brewed a smaller batch initially, but followed the recipe exactly. Now that I've sampled some of the finished product I'm already planning my next batch, and I'm going to do a full run this time.

My advice would be if you are interested in a Lemon Lime Hef, brew it as the recipe states, but possibly in a smaller quantity. If you just want to brew a wheat beer, I'm sure there are a lot of other recipes out there that might fit the bill. Or adjust the recipe as you see fit and see what you get! That's part of the fun with brewing beer is you get to experiment.

What drew me to this beer was the considerable about of time SD-Slim went through developing this beer, and the large community of people who stated how great it was. Either way you will have great beer. I just figured I'd see how the recipe turned out before I altered it. As far as your specific questions regarding the alterations, I've read this thread through a couple of times and don't really remember people making the specific adjustments. It's a long read, but if you are really set on altering the recipe I'd read the whole thing and thing go from there.

Cheers!
__________________
AVLbrewing is offline  
Mysticmead Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #763
caioz1jp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St. Clair Shores
Posts: 166
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLbrewing View Post
I've only brewed this once, and it's just now finishing up in bottles so take what I have to saw with a grain of salt. From my samples so far the banana isn't overpowering, but there are certainly clove notes. As far as the lime taste, it isn't particularly overpowering either. I was a little worried about both of these as well so I brewed a smaller batch initially, but followed the recipe exactly. Now that I've sampled some of the finished product I'm already planning my next batch, and I'm going to do a full run this time.

My advice would be if you are interested in a Lemon Lime Hef, brew it as the recipe states, but possibly in a smaller quantity. If you just want to brew a wheat beer, I'm sure there are a lot of other recipes out there that might fit the bill. Or adjust the recipe as you see fit and see what you get! That's part of the fun with brewing beer is you get to experiment.

What drew me to this beer was the considerable about of time SD-Slim went through developing this beer, and the large community of people who stated how great it was. Either way you will have great beer. I just figured I'd see how the recipe turned out before I altered it. As far as your specific questions regarding the alterations, I've read this thread through a couple of times and don't really remember people making the specific adjustments. It's a long read, but if you are really set on altering the recipe I'd read the whole thing and thing go from there.

Cheers!
I think Im going to do the old fashioned split batch. Ill do half with the limeade and half without. I will use the WL320 though. Just can't stand that clove and banana taste in anthing but pumpkin beer lol.

Again I just want everyone to know that my first post on this page was in response to a unhelpful post. Sorry if it sounded hostile. I did edit it to make it more clear.
__________________
caioz1jp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #764
AVLbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 173
Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


I think a split batch sounds like a great idea. Just be sure to report back with your comparison. It might help out some future people who were concerned with the limeade addition. I know I was but just decided to go for it, and I'm glad I did. If you really dislike clove then WLP320 sounds like a good option.


Good luck!

__________________
AVLbrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #765
hoppedup75
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hoppedup75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Killeen
Posts: 137
Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default


I say go with it. The joy of brewing is taking ideas and tastes to suit your own. I'm sure 95% of us brew for ourselves and our loved ones. And brownie points with other brewers...... I myself have wondered about the clove and banana but it is said they melo and subside with a little age.

Let us know how the cleaner yeast does and provide feedback.
You may be on to something that's worth sharing.

__________________
hoppedup75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #766
dwall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 6
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead

Blow Off Tube. Get in the habit of using one with every batch of beer. you
never know when one will for ballistic and fill the airlock.
Thanks, I'm using one. This brew is bubbling like crazy which the blow off can handle but every once and a while it belches.
__________________
dwall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #767
fireslayer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Racine
Posts: 124
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Got the yeast starter going now and will be brewing another batch tomorrow but going to try lemon zest and simply lemonade. I'll keep the hops the same and see how it turns out.

__________________
fireslayer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #768
bigbopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: bucks county
Posts: 340
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


i did the split batch on this one as i was unsure about making 10 gal of this but after kegging the limeaid one i can tell ill be doing 10 gal limeaid on the next go around.really limey. going to serve this next weekend at a large event and looking forward to the feedback,i didnt really need the blowoff tubes though

__________________
bigbopper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #769
AVLbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 173
Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbopper View Post
i did the split batch on this one as i was unsure about making 10 gal of this but after kegging the limeaid one i can tell ill be doing 10 gal limeaid on the next go around.really limey. going to serve this next weekend at a large event and looking forward to the feedback,i didnt really need the blowoff tubes though
So you did 5 with limeade and 5 without? Did you follow the recipe exactly otherwise in regards to yeast, hops, grain bill?
__________________
AVLbrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #770
bigbopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: bucks county
Posts: 340
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLbrewing View Post
So you did 5 with limeade and 5 without? Did you follow the recipe exactly otherwise in regards to yeast, hops, grain bill?
dead on
__________________
bigbopper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen homebrewer_99 Wheat and Rye Beer 145 08-30-2014 02:54 AM
Citrus Weizen FSR402 Wheat and Rye Beer 100 04-05-2013 03:35 PM
Extract - Paulaner Hefe-Weizen Clone ryandigital Wheat and Rye Beer 0 09-19-2010 09:31 PM
All-Grain - Lead Penny Hefe "German Hefe Style Beer" RICLARK Wheat and Rye Beer 1 04-06-2009 07:46 PM
Großer Weizen Desert_Sky Wheat and Rye Beer 0 08-04-2007 05:44 AM