Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #691
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLbrewing
Brewing today! For those that do the twitter I'll be live tweeting so check it out #lemonlimehef

I'm weigh hops and heating my strike water now!

Cheers!
Happy Brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #692
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Been fermenting for about 2 day. This is going to sound totally weird but i steeped 2 oz of basil for 10 min after the boil. Gave it such a crazy awesome taste mixing with the lime. Almost hearty yet sweet from the sample i tasted. Cant wait for it to be done so i can try it carbonated and ready. Ill keep you informed on how it turns out.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #693
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I finished brewing around lunch time and I have some nice air lock activity! The whole process went relatively smooth considering it was my first time going all grain. My efficiency was super low though (52%), and resulted in a pretty low OG (1.036). Needless to say I'm a little bummed about that...I hit my temps perfectly so the only thing I can think of is the grain wasn't ground enough for BIAB. I've read in a few other places that some people double grind the grain to get higher efficiencies since you don't need the grain hull to form a grain bed.

Luckily since I made a smaller batch I have plenty of hops left for another batch. I might even try washing my WLP380 from this batch to further reduce the cost of the next.

Either way I'm stoked to give this beer a try and can't wait to brew it again!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #694
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just cracked one of these after 15 days in bottle. The weird sourness I picked up in the gravity sample must have been the lime, because it's really coming through now as a citrus flavor, not an off flavor.

I'm going to enjoy this one as a nice change of pace. And at over 7.5% ABV, it will really sneak up on people!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #695
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBigDog
I just cracked one of these after 15 days in bottle. The weird sourness I picked up in the gravity sample must have been the lime, because it's really coming through now as a citrus flavor, not an off flavor.

I'm going to enjoy this one as a nice change of pace. And at over 7.5% ABV, it will really sneak up on people!
I'm glad it worked out...if you brew this one again, try it with the Hef yeast...it really makes the beer!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #696
damlamb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is the first beer I've ever brewed and IM pleased that it turned out well. Lots of lime flavour. I did all grain and used hefenweizen yeast from white labs. This stuff fermented pretty aggressively compared to the second batch I made (ginger ale) it required a blow off tube for a day and a half and I had a lot of head space in the carboy. Thanks for a great recipe I will definitely make it again, however simply limeade isn't sold in CANADA. Good thing I only live 10 minutes from Michigan.

forumrunner_20130204_162720.png

Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #697
hogspot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default Bottle of awesomeness!

New to the forum...just getting active on it, but I brewed this recipe on a whim...2nd all-grain batch (1st batch came out weak and then I actually read, re-read, and learned the process). The alcohol content was spot on. Fermentation was awesome...I may have added the Simply Limeade a little too early...I was lucky to have the bucket wrapped in a towel because we had a little explosion...put a blow off on and took care of the issue. 16 days in the primary and I took the lid off...smelled the beer and WOW...it burnt my nose but tasted phenomenal prior to any carbonation. We bottled the beer and are now playing the waiting game. I was being lazy and just bought the carbonation drops, so hopefully the beer doesn't come rushing out after carbonation. Will update on the results...I have high expectations for this beer.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #698
mdtwnj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang
Been fermenting for about 2 day. This is going to sound totally weird but i steeped 2 oz of basil for 10 min after the boil. Gave it such a crazy awesome taste mixing with the lime. Almost hearty yet sweet from the sample i tasted. Cant wait for it to be done so i can try it carbonated and ready. Ill keep you informed on how it turns out.
Any update on the basil addition? I'm planning on brewing this in mid march so it's ready for the summer warm up, and the addition of basil (or mint) sounds interesting. Almost like a mojito.

Also, for those that have brewed this, I normally do 5 gal batches and use a 6.5 gal glass carboy for primary. Will there be enough room for the 1.75 l of simply lime? Or should I decrease my starting brew size a bit?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #699
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtwnj

Any update on the basil addition? I'm planning on brewing this in mid march so it's ready for the summer warm up, and the addition of basil (or mint) sounds interesting. Almost like a mojito.

Also, for those that have brewed this, I normally do 5 gal batches and use a 6.5 gal glass carboy for primary. Will there be enough room for the 1.75 l of simply lime? Or should I decrease my starting brew size a bit?
6.5 will be fine....but wait 3 to 4 days to add the simply limeade, or it will explode!

Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #700
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtwnj View Post
I have brewed this twice. I use a 6 gallon Better Bottle for primary. Both times I have put 5.25 gallons into the fermenter, then added the Simply Lime. The Hefe IV yeast produces crazy fermentation so make sure you use a blow off tube until things settle down.

This beer has "in your face" lime flavor. It kicks butt.

Quick Reply