Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #621
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin
Funny you say that about going overboard....

On my third batch of this stuff (hard to keep it around) I decided to really up the flavor and added an additional frozen limeade concentrate can..... Bad idea! It's way to much, reminds me of a margarita with all of that lime and boozy alcohol from the simple sugars...

Still gonna let it mellow and see what happens. In the meantime ill just have to stick with brewin another original recipe. Thanks again slim
Lol....it took me playing around with a bunch of stuff before I came up with this recipe, so I completely understand. The reason why I ended up with the simply limeade versus concentrate or other limeades, was due to the number of ingredients and the quality of the product.....I tried a generic brand Walmart limeade once, and i had a sour face with every drink....so I'm glad to hear you enjoy it, happy brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #622
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 645

This beer reminds me a lot of the Leinenkugal Summer Shandy.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #623
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I brewed this yesterday, bubbling away in the fermentation chamber.

For people thinking about brewing this, it took me 3 limes to get the 1/2 ounce of zest. I used a potato peeler and chopped the rind into a fine pulp with a knife.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #624
epanknin
Recipes 

Default Over carbonated bottles

Here is the deal.... brew day normal. SG 1.046. Pitched (Hefe IV) yeast at roughly 70 degrees. Great airlock activity for about 2.5 days after about a 12 hour delayed start from pitch time. Airlock activity minimal if any after 3 days. Took sample with 1.002 reading (Day 3). Added room temp limeade. (Day 20) took sample and reading of 1.010. (Day 22) took sample and reading of 1.010. No secondary transfer. Primary bucket stored in basement regulated at 72 degrees.

Decided to bottle after no movement. Boiled 1.5 cup water and added 4.7 ounces of corn sugar. Cooled to room temp. Added to bottling bucket and racked 5 total gallons onto the priming solution. Stirred about three times throughout.

According to beer smith this corn sugar measurement should have produced a 2.5 vol carbonation. I usually try one bottle each week to check on carbonation. First bottle after about 8 days is definitely over carbonated. Champagne like bubbles on your tongue. I get a mountain of foam with the carbonation bubbles carrying all the sediment to the top and out of the bottle. Left with very little beer after the foam resides.

Not sure what has happened. Normally I get a little more carbonation after each week. No bottle bombs since I bottled 10 days ago. No bulging caps.

I decided to refrigerate for at least 48 hours and attempt another bottle. Same effect. Beer tastes a little green and needs some time to mellow out in your face lime flavor. But should still a good beer after letting the flavors blend/balance. I understand it could take up to 3 weeks to allow the carbonation to fully suspend in the beer. However, this batch does not seem right compared to my previous batches.

I attempted for 6 total gallons so I could do a test 1 gallon batch of simply grapefruit as well. Used US-05 and bottled a few days after the LLH. These bottles are carbonating fine as usual.

I used the same bottling equipment (auto siphon, racking tube and bottle wand) on each batch. Both LLH and GFH. No gusher of my GFH test bottles to date.

Any thoughts. It seems like re fermentation has started again in each bottle of the LLH producing additional CO2. Any thoughts or final gravity readings prior to bottling appreciated.

Sorry for the long thread.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #625
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like you had a lot of extra sugar from the Limeade that you didn't let ferment out before bottling. The limeade should have been added while there was still some pretty good activity and the gravity of 1.002 means that the yeasties were basically done and going to sleep (3 days is crazy fast btw...). Not sure what you can do about it now, but I'd be worried about bottle bombs at this point. The yeast woke up in the bottle to find that they not only had corn sugar but fructose and sucrose from the limeade to feast on...

Maybe crack open all of the bottles and recap? Pasteurize to stop secondary fermentation? Not sure....

Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #626
epanknin
Recipes 

Correction... just looked at my notes again. My gravity reading was 1.008 9 days after adding the limeade (Day 12). It was 1.002 when bottled (Day 22). I slowly released CO2 out of the chilled bottle and poured. It took a good 5-10 minutes. Did not disturb the bottom sediment like it would if I simply popped the cap. Carbonation seems nice after letting the excess CO2 escape. I am going to let this sample go flat and take another gravity reading.

Best approach to vent about 48 bottles? I know what a nightmare!!!! I can only vent a little at a time. Let it settle and then vent again.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #627
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanknin View Post
Here is the deal.... brew day normal. SG 1.046. Pitched (Hefe IV) yeast at roughly 70 degrees. Great airlock activity for about 2.5 days after about a 12 hour delayed start from pitch time. Airlock activity minimal if any after 3 days. Took sample with 1.002 reading (Day 3). Added room temp limeade. (Day 20) took sample and reading of 1.010. (Day 22) took sample and reading of 1.010. No secondary transfer. Primary bucket stored in basement regulated at 72 degrees.

Decided to bottle after no movement. Boiled 1.5 cup water and added 4.7 ounces of corn sugar. Cooled to room temp. Added to bottling bucket and racked 5 total gallons onto the priming solution. Stirred about three times throughout.

According to beer smith this corn sugar measurement should have produced a 2.5 vol carbonation. I usually try one bottle each week to check on carbonation. First bottle after about 8 days is definitely over carbonated. Champagne like bubbles on your tongue. I get a mountain of foam with the carbonation bubbles carrying all the sediment to the top and out of the bottle. Left with very little beer after the foam resides.

Not sure what has happened. Normally I get a little more carbonation after each week. No bottle bombs since I bottled 10 days ago. No bulging caps.

I decided to refrigerate for at least 48 hours and attempt another bottle. Same effect. Beer tastes a little green and needs some time to mellow out in your face lime flavor. But should still a good beer after letting the flavors blend/balance. I understand it could take up to 3 weeks to allow the carbonation to fully suspend in the beer. However, this batch does not seem right compared to my previous batches.

I attempted for 6 total gallons so I could do a test 1 gallon batch of simply grapefruit as well. Used US-05 and bottled a few days after the LLH. These bottles are carbonating fine as usual.

I used the same bottling equipment (auto siphon, racking tube and bottle wand) on each batch. Both LLH and GFH. No gusher of my GFH test bottles to date.

Any thoughts. It seems like re fermentation has started again in each bottle of the LLH producing additional CO2. Any thoughts or final gravity readings prior to bottling appreciated.

Sorry for the long thread.
My guess is that you didn't extract enough ferment able sugars...so yeast went dormant...then you add limeade, has a little more sugar, so a little more activity but not enough...fast forward to bottling and yeast start working on bottling sugar bubbles from co2 conversion...no bottle bombs YET!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #628
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I added my limeade this morning which is 3 1/2 days after pitching. I had a normal air lock on it and the bubbling had slowed to a bubble every other second or two. I put my blow off tube back on and the fermentation is rocking again.

I hope this beer turns out as good as it is in my mind.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #629
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 645

I know this recipe has won multiple medals in comp, so it got me thinking. What category is everyone entering it in, weizen? Seems like that would be the obvious choice but I'm just double checking.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #630
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
I know this recipe has won multiple medals in comp, so it got me thinking. What category is everyone entering it in, weizen? Seems like that would be the obvious choice but I'm just double checking.
gotta enter it into either fruit beer or specialty ale... if ya enter into weizen they'll ding it for the fruit

Quick Reply