Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #611
VaBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes,

Looking at it on my iPhone via the HBT app, it doesn't show the 6 gallons which is odd.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #612
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBrewer View Post
Yes,

Looking at it on my iPhone via the HBT app, it doesn't show the 6 gallons which is odd.
Thanks for clearing it up.
yeah.. the HBT app on android doesn't show it either. Guess its the recipe form that you have to enter the info into (from the webpage) that doesn't display on the app

Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #613
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Made this beer a few weeks ago with a few adjustments (lower mash temp, lower gravity) and have already cleared the keg. WLP380 is a fantastic yeast, exactly what I wanted in ALL of my hefes. I will be rebrewing this one eventually.
I also entered it into the Savannah craft brewfest's Summer Suds contest. I'll post results when I get em.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #614
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanknin
Has anyone used a Wyeast 3944 belgian wit strain versus the recommended Hefe IV yeast? I have a yeast cake that is about to open up. Any thoughts? Can I pour my wort directly onto the yeast cake or will it be better suited to wash the yeast and re pitch? Thanks in advance.
You may have already brewed this, but I never recommend using yeast cakes from different beers...reason being, that despite your good efforts in straining hops particles from your wort when you transferred to your fermenter some will still be there...additionally any imperfections in your last beer, will still be there...finally if your not careful in transferring the new wort on the yeast cake, you will lift the dead yeast that will be consumed by the live yeast resulting in a horrible off taste.....summary, if you choose to re-use this yeast for this beer, then wash it first...but better yet, wash this yeast and store it for another recipe and go with Hef V...you won't regret it!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #615
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janson745
Thats awesome to hear. I am a new guy who just got turned onto S-05. I have some extra and was looking for something new to make. This one looks like it's gonna make the list for my next couple.
Wise choice to use Safale S-05 as a new brewer...it's a very forgiving yeast and doesn't require a starter (still should reconstitute). The reason I would say to stick with dry yeast for you first 5 to 10 brews, is because while your learning how to brew, learning your equipment and just basically getting a rhythm down...you will make mistakes, S-05 and other dry yeast are forgiving and will not show as many mistakes in the final product. I have brewed this beer (in gallon batches) to several yeast types and combos, if I had to go with dry yeast...I would mix S-05 with Danstar Nottingham Ale...it makes for an interesting final product!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #616
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird
Made this beer a few weeks ago with a few adjustments (lower mash temp, lower gravity) and have already cleared the keg. WLP380 is a fantastic yeast, exactly what I wanted in ALL of my hefes. I will be rebrewing this one eventually.
I also entered it into the Savannah craft brewfest's Summer Suds contest. I'll post results when I get em.
Best of luck on the competition...I agree with you on Hef V, it's the yeast I use 99% of the time on all my hefes.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #617
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Took first place in "Low-country ale" category (category created for competition in Savannah, GA)

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #618
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird
Took first place in "Low-country ale" category (category created for competition in Savannah, GA)
Congratulations.....this is the 4th gold medal for this recipe!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #619
BrewByLos
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I went a little over board on the limeade on this one. My water volume in my fermenter was low, my first all grain recipe, working out the kinks... I did not account for the lower water volume when adding the limeade in beersmith.

After five weeks in the bottle it's mellowing out. Luckily I stocked up on hops to give this another go!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #620
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Funny you say that about going overboard....

On my third batch of this stuff (hard to keep it around) I decided to really up the flavor and added an additional frozen limeade concentrate can..... Bad idea! It's way to much, reminds me of a margarita with all of that lime and boozy alcohol from the simple sugars...

Still gonna let it mellow and see what happens. In the meantime ill just have to stick with brewin another original recipe. Thanks again slim

Quick Reply