Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #541
BrewByLos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Anyone order Motueka recently? Im looking for them and Citra and cant find any.
Midwest has Sorachi Ace, Motueka, and Citra leaf in stock. http://www.midwestsupplies.com I just ordered to get this brewed next week.

Thanks for the recipe!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #542
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What temp you recommend fermenting the WLP380 at?
And based on the FG's I'm seeing I guess its a 148*f mash for 90minutes(I'll be doing a protein rest as well)?
I've got a competition in late august I'd like to enter a beer based on this one in. I think I'd like to drop the abv down to about 6% w/ limeaid so I figure I'll drop the starting gravity to around 1.051.
My sorachi's are 2011, so I think I may increase those additions by 50%.
Thoughts?

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #543
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
What temp you recommend fermenting the WLP380 at?
And based on the FG's I'm seeing I guess its a 148*f mash for 90minutes(I'll be doing a protein rest as well)?
I've got a competition in late august I'd like to enter a beer based on this one in. I think I'd like to drop the abv down to about 6% w/ limeaid so I figure I'll drop the starting gravity to around 1.051.
My sorachi's are 2011, so I think I may increase those additions by 50%.
Thoughts?
I would ferment at 68 degrees...this yeast has a very small window of happiness (I think from 66 to 70), so I always ferment at 68.
As for mashing, I did it at 148 for 45 minutes...with equipment in the high 70's to low 80's in efficiency...however do what you need to do based on your equipments abilities, keep in mind their is a lot of grain in this recipe.
As for your hops...if you stored them in the freezer and kept them away from light, they should only degrade by 10% every six months...so you may only be looking at a 20% loss of its alpha potential...remember to smell them, if they smell like cheese or like skunk, they are no good...but if you bought pellets, stored them in the freezer in a bag that oxygen cannot penentrate then at the most you have lost 20% and have great hops ready to go!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #544
integra93ls
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Drinking this now from the keg. I had it ferment for 3-4 weeks n its been in keg since Fri. Had some on sat n it was good. Drinking now n its way better. I think it needs to age like a week in keg n it mellows out even more. I love it. Just ordered the grains to make it again.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #545
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
I would ferment at 68 degrees...this yeast has a very small window of happiness (I think from 66 to 70), so I always ferment at 68.
As for mashing, I did it at 148 for 45 minutes...with equipment in the high 70's to low 80's in efficiency...however do what you need to do based on your equipments abilities, keep in mind their is a lot of grain in this recipe.
As for your hops...if you stored them in the freezer and kept them away from light, they should only degrade by 10% every six months...so you may only be looking at a 20% loss of its alpha potential...remember to smell them, if they smell like cheese or like skunk, they are no good...but if you bought pellets, stored them in the freezer in a bag that oxygen cannot penentrate then at the most you have lost 20% and have great hops ready to go!
You find the esters at 68 to be a good balance? I was thinking 66 but have zero experience with the yeast, I'll go for your recommendation.

Eh I've got some whole leaf from 2011 I really need to inspect. I think I'll end up using some nitro flushed pellets I have. (Hate I bought 3oz of whole leaf from a LHBS I found and they didn't keep their stock vacuum sealed. I'll probably just throw those away)

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #546
Stoner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Grrrrrr... 22 days in primary & now at 1.020. Not sure what to do at this point. Tasted it and it tastes good, obviously a little sweet but not too bad. I don't have another yeast cake or similar yeast either. Any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #547
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Grrrrrr... 22 days in primary & now at 1.020. Not sure what to do at this point. Tasted it and it tastes good, obviously a little sweet but not too bad. I don't have another yeast cake or similar yeast either. Any suggestions?
Transfer it to another fermenter (removing from current yeast cake) then pitch with a dry ale yeast, let it ferment for 4 days...if no change in gravity add another lime ade

Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #548
Stoner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will do Slim, have you tried this before? If so what yeast did you use or do you recommend?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #549
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner
Will do Slim, have you tried this before? If so what yeast did you use or do you recommend?
When I was developing this recipe, I had 5 different versions going in 1 gallon fermenters....I had an issue with yeast in one of them, so I used Safale US-05 and it turned out to be a nice beer. The advantages of using 05 when you have a situation like this, is that the yeast works extremely fast and the majority of the characteristics from the Hef IV won't be over shadowed by this yeast.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #550
Stoner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the info! Can't wait to get this finished so I can finally enjoy!

Quick Reply