Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #421
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

to anyone making this and using the suggested Hefeweizen IV yeast... USE a blow off tube. This thing ferments like crazy. mine decided that last night was the time to go nuclear and it hit the blow off tube hard enough that I had blow off coming out of my blow off jug! Can't wait to see how active it gets when I add the Limeade!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #422
watergod
Recipes 

Brewed this beer a week and a half ago and since I couldn't find the right hops in time to brew I went with cascade, centennial and Amarillo, us-05 repitched yeast and the lime aid after two days of fermentation. Just tasted it out of the primary! Omg that's a great beer!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #423
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead
to anyone making this and using the suggested Hefeweizen IV yeast... USE a blow off tube. This thing ferments like crazy. mine decided that last night was the time to go nuclear and it hit the blow off tube hard enough that I had blow off coming out of my blow off jug! Can't wait to see how active it gets when I add the Limeade!
Mine did the same thing. Luckily I switched to an old stock pot I partially filled with star san just in time. It was insane!

I love a good train wreck!!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #424
Dhruv6911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

are you guys letting this hefe ferment out for 3 weeks? generally for me, my hefe is done in 3-4 days and the simply limeaide will be explosive and quick considering the increase in yeast density from the wort.

I'm just about to hit 1.5 weeks into fermentation so ill take a reading tomorrow.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #425
watergod
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv6911
are you guys letting this hefe ferment out for 3 weeks? generally for me, my hefe is done in 3-4 days and the simply limeaide will be explosive and quick considering the increase in yeast density from the wort.

I'm just about to hit 1.5 weeks into fermentation so ill take a reading tomorrow.
I'm at 1 week today and I took a gravity this morning and it was 1.009. Going to check it again tomorrow if it's the same I think it's done also.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #426
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv6911 View Post

Yes in general it is a good idea to leave an ale beer in a primary for 3 weeks...you can take readings and see that within 10 days you have made beer, however if stopped now, you would stop the conditioning phase which allow the yeast to slowly eat bi-products and meld the flavor profiles together....so again you could stop the beer in 10 days, 2 weeks and drink it...or you can go three weeks and have a more well defined beer!

As for the introduction of limeade....its a must to wait for the primary fermentation to slow down, if not the yeast will go crazy...in most cases this is 3-4 days...and by slow down, I mean less than 4 bubbles a minute and or very little visible movement in the wort. Now the limeade will still kick it back up, because Hefe IV is designed to work with higher protein beers and the pulp from the limeade contains about 6% protein and 28% sugar...so it will be like taking a defibrillator to a failing heart!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #427
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I bottled mine and noticed I had a slight reaction to adding the priming sugar in the bottling bucket. A bit scary initially but it subsided.

I love a good train wreck!!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #428
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Hey everyone. Love the thread and recipe. I'm planning on using rolled spelt instead of wheat. Anyone have any experience with this? Use the same amount? Any tips? Comments on using spelt?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #429
Snafu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just to follow up on this one, I let it sit for 3 weeks (actually a couple of days past 3 weeks) and then got sent overseas on a quick trip to Afghanistan so before I left I dropped the temps down to ~40ish prior to leaving. After being gone 10 or so days, I came back home and racked this to keg and put on gas @20psi for 2 days then backed it down to normal range for an additional 2 days. Tasted last night and wow this is refreshing! Very prominent lime up front giving way to lemon sweetness but finishes very clean. I was worried it would have that lime bitterness aftertaste but none at all! For the next several months this will be a great brew to battle the Virginia heat. Way to go SLIM! 2 thumbs up!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #430
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang View Post
Hey everyone. Love the thread and recipe. I'm planning on using rolled spelt instead of wheat. Anyone have any experience with this? Use the same amount? Any tips? Comments on using spelt?
I havent brewed this beer with spelt, primairly due to the fact that I dont know anyone with wheat allergies and because spelt has fewer complex carbohydrates than wheat...which means you will need more grain in spelt to produce equivalant amounts of sugars from wheat. Spelt does have an interesting nutty flavor to it, and even though not that prominent...it may not fit with this kind of recipe, but who knows, it could also make it better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Just to follow up on this one, I let it sit for 3 weeks (actually a couple of days past 3 weeks) and then got sent overseas on a quick trip to Afghanistan so before I left I dropped the temps down to ~40ish prior to leaving. After being gone 10 or so days, I came back home and racked this to keg and put on gas @20psi for 2 days then backed it down to normal range for an additional 2 days. Tasted last night and wow this is refreshing! Very prominent lime up front giving way to lemon sweetness but finishes very clean. I was worried it would have that lime bitterness aftertaste but none at all! For the next several months this will be a great brew to battle the Virginia heat. Way to go SLIM! 2 thumbs up!
I appreciate the review and glad to hear you loved it...the temps in Dallas/Fort Worth have been in the 90's, so I know exactly what you mean about battling some warm weather!

Quick Reply