Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Multiple - Hopped Blood Orange Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatmeister View Post
I actually just brewed an Orange wheat last Sunday using alot of your process as my basis for my recipe.

My batch was AG, and I used harvested Bells yeast from a fresh 6 pack of Oberon.

#4 White wheat
#3 Pils
#1 Gambrinus honey malt
#1 Flaked wheat
#.5 Rice hulls
1oz Citra for 60 1oz Citra last 5
1/3 cup orange zest last 5
Flour slurry added with 15 left in boil
OG=1.047

I used 6 monstrous oranges, zested all of them and juiced them. set aside 1/3 cup of the zest for last 5 addition and stuffed everything (oranges, juice, zest) in muslin bags and pastuerized. I dumped all the juice through the muslin bags with the intention that they'll retain the pulp, i didnt want that in the bottom of my keg. Racked into primary on top of that.

looks delicious! citra!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
Aweaselkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I went ahead to brew this receipe about a month ago:

I have been brewing for 3+ years, switched pretty quickly to kegging, and have done mostly extract batches. In general, I have very detail oriented, and can swear my sanitation is on-par (if anything too OCD about it). But it looks like I may have slipped up?

This was bottled about a week ago, and has been in my 65-70degree room carbing. I boiled my priming sugar mixture, and transfered to bottling bucket, filled 12 22ox bottles, and put the rest in a 5gal keg. I just lifted the release valve for a second on the keg, and pleeenty of CO2 is happening in there, so that is good, but man, these alien like globs of who-knows-what has really damppered my spirits.

Certainly this is bacteria? Not some random coagulation of yeast? Inintally, sediment settled to to bottom of these bottles pretty quick, but I couldn't help but notice this, whatever it is, is taking over?

Am I ruined?

photo.jpg  

Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
mewithstewpid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aweaselkid View Post
So I went ahead to brew this receipe about a month ago:

I have been brewing for 3+ years, switched pretty quickly to kegging, and have done mostly extract batches. In general, I have very detail oriented, and can swear my sanitation is on-par (if anything too OCD about it). But it looks like I may have slipped up?

This was bottled about a week ago, and has been in my 65-70degree room carbing. I boiled my priming sugar mixture, and transfered to bottling bucket, filled 12 22ox bottles, and put the rest in a 5gal keg. I just lifted the release valve for a second on the keg, and pleeenty of CO2 is happening in there, so that is good, but man, these alien like globs of who-knows-what has really damppered my spirits.

Certainly this is bacteria? Not some random coagulation of yeast? Inintally, sediment settled to to bottom of these bottles pretty quick, but I couldn't help but notice this, whatever it is, is taking over?

Am I ruined?
did that form after you poured half of the bottle? Are you referring to the things sticking on the side, or the "head" that is forming in the bottle?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #14
trekie86
Recipes 

I haven't done a starter yeast before, what did you use as your sugar for the primer? DME?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
mewithstewpid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie86 View Post
I haven't done a starter yeast before, what did you use as your sugar for the primer? DME?
yes DME

Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
hokieguy95
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Clarification:

In the pictures, it looks like you steep the entire orange skin and all.

after zesting all oranges, shouldn't you remove the skins (now devoid of the orange zest like properties) and add just the soft sweet orange

I thought that adding the white to the steep would cause extreme bitterness.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
mewithstewpid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieguy95
Clarification: In the pictures, it looks like you steep the entire orange skin and all. after zesting all oranges, shouldn't you remove the skins (now devoid of the orange zest like properties) and add just the soft sweet orange I thought that adding the white to the steep would cause extreme bitterness.
You can do it either way. Steeping the entire thing did not cause extreme bitterness
Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
WhackedBear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the recipe this is exactly what I am looking for my next batch.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
zhubbell
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I really like the sound of this recipe! Definitely added to my list of upcoming brews!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #20
markus6767
Recipes 

Looking forward to doing this next batch.... Have you tried doing it all grain yet? If so... How'd it turn out? Also I don't see any rice hulls in the recipe? Just an oversight?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply