Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Honey Balz Spring Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genacide

It's sitting at 66f (temp strip on the side of the bucket) right now in a ice bath. Should I shoot for lower or is this about right?
That should be OK.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
mpdust
Recipes 

Default Newbie question

I see the batch size is 5 gallons but how many gallons did you use for the boil?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When did everyone add the Honey to this recipe? I have heard that adding the honey during the boil does nothing but up the ABV. If I wanted to actually impart honey flavor aside from the honey malt, would I add it a week or so into primary fermentation? What did everyone else do?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #34
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anico4704
When did everyone add the Honey to this recipe? I have heard that adding the honey during the boil does nothing but up the ABV. If I wanted to actually impart honey flavor aside from the honey malt, would I add it a week or so into primary fermentation? What did everyone else do?
Add in the final minute or two, or at flameout. The honey gives off aromatics that way. The honey flavor comes from the honey malt.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #35
MarkB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I want to impart some honey taste, or hints, I use it to prime with, seems to work out very well in that capacity.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #36
bmcf74
Recipes 

Overpowering Honey

I am a newby and only have about 15 homebrews under my belt. I brewed a recipe similar to this but I think I put too much honey in the boil. I kegged it after four weeks but the honey aroma is so strong. Any suggestions on how to salvage this brew? Would dry hopping it in the keg for a week help? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #37
pmatson
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I am planning to make a batch using this recipe for my family's Easter get-together. Has anyone brewed this using Nottingham? I have had good luck with notty lately and have not yet tried us-05. I keep my fermenter in a water bath and have pretty good temp control. Any advice from previous experiences? Much appreciated. Cheers

Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatson View Post
I am planning to make a batch using this recipe for my family's Easter get-together. Has anyone brewed this using Nottingham? I have had good luck with notty lately and have not yet tried us-05. I keep my fermenter in a water bath and have pretty good temp control. Any advice from previous experiences? Much appreciated. Cheers
I have used Notty many times before, but not on this brew. US-05 and Notty are very similar strains, but beers fermented with Notty tend to finish a bit drier.

This beer finishes with a very slight sweetness from the Honey Malt. I'm not sure if Notty will eliminate that.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #39
OzzyBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just brewed this up today. Could not find Orange Blossom Honey, so I just went with some local clover honey. The wort tasted pretty good, really looking forward to this brew. My local brew store was out of US-05 and I was really wanting to try a dry yeast, so I went with Safbrew wb-06. My store always has a ton of wyeast, but again, I wanted to see what kind of fermentation I would have with dry.......so we'll see. I did not add the wheat flour, but if I brew this again I think I will. This is a beer for the wife, but of course, I will end up drinking most of it!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #40
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyBrew View Post
I just brewed this up today. Could not find Orange Blossom Honey, so I just went with some local clover honey. The wort tasted pretty good, really looking forward to this brew. My local brew store was out of US-05 and I was really wanting to try a dry yeast, so I went with Safbrew wb-06. My store always has a ton of wyeast, but again, I wanted to see what kind of fermentation I would have with dry.......so we'll see. I did not add the wheat flour, but if I brew this again I think I will. This is a beer for the wife, but of course, I will end up drinking most of it!
That yeast will turn it into a hefeweizen. It shouldn't be bad, just a bit different.

Quick Reply