Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Honey Balz Spring Wheat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
DBONES
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illinois - Where our ex-governors make our license plates!
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


CrookedTail,
Going to try your recipe this weekend. I just love wheat beers. I see that you keg, but do you have any idea of how much priming sugar to add for bottling? Also, have you ever tried making it with DME?

Thanks for posting,
Dan

__________________

Plans are what you make when you want to hear God laugh!!!

DBONES is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 573
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DBONES View Post
CrookedTail,
Going to try your recipe this weekend. I just love wheat beers. I see that you keg, but do you have any idea of how much priming sugar to add for bottling? Also, have you ever tried making it with DME?

Thanks for posting,
Dan
I'd probably go with 2/3 cup of corn sugar for bottling. As for using DME, other than your color being a little lighter you shouldn't notice a difference.

I'm glad there's interest in this beer. It's a favorite of mine.
__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
cantputt87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: leawood
Posts: 20
Default


CROOKEDTAIL are you using hop pellets or leaf hops? I was thinking about brewing your recipe this week, and this would really help

Thanks

__________________
cantputt87 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 573
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Default


I use hop pellets.

__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Squill2k4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 14
Default


Just brewed this beer and I'm excited to try it! I'm alittle worried as my OG was 1.042 instead of 1.052. I hope that it doesn't effect the awesomeness of this beer though.

__________________
Squill2k4 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 573
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Squill2k4 View Post
Just brewed this beer and I'm excited to try it! I'm alittle worried as my OG was 1.042 instead of 1.052. I hope that it doesn't effect the awesomeness of this beer though.
Not sure how that could happen, but I wouldn't worry about it.
__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
mewellsar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenbrier
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Just brewed this and put it in the keg. OG was right on at 1.051, but fermentation stuck and I ended up at 1.017 at the end.

I was surprised using the US-05 that it got that taste I always equate with Belgian beers. Maybe that will change a little after it sits on the gas.

__________________
mewellsar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 573
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mewellsar
Just brewed this and put it in the keg. OG was right on at 1.051, but fermentation stuck and I ended up at 1.017 at the end.

I was surprised using the US-05 that it got that taste I always equate with Belgian beers. Maybe that will change a little after it sits on the gas.
How long, and at what temp did you ferment it? Honey takes longer to ferment, which might explain the gravity reading. Also, US-05 should ferment clean. If you're getting esters, then it fermented at way too high a temp.
__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
mewellsar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenbrier
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Total fermentation, 16 days. It was stuck at 1.018 since the first 7 days.

Temp is a weak part in my brewing process. My best locale is a dark inner closet with the door cracked to let the house heating-cooling system get to it. Not sure of the temp exactly, but it has been warmer than usual this week.

How I long for a basement.

__________________
mewellsar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 573
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mewellsar View Post
Total fermentation, 16 days. It was stuck at 1.018 since the first 7 days.

Temp is a weak part in my brewing process. My best locale is a dark inner closet with the door cracked to let the house heating-cooling system get to it. Not sure of the temp exactly, but it has been warmer than usual this week.

How I long for a basement.
16 days isn't necessarily ample time for any beer to fully ferment and clean up after itself, let alone a beer with some honey in it. I let most of my beers sit for 3-4 weeks before going to a secondary.
__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - American Honey Wheat Hammy71 Wheat and Rye Beer 16 09-16-2014 07:36 PM
All-Grain - Honey Wheat slimer Wheat and Rye Beer 8 10-12-2011 01:16 AM
All-Grain - ELBC - Honey Wheat archiefl98 Wheat and Rye Beer 0 03-29-2010 06:17 PM
Honey Wheat z987k Wheat and Rye Beer 14 03-15-2008 06:09 PM