Alternative Grain Beer Hogback Brewing's American Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Danstar Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Copper, 6.6 SRM Est.
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 days, 66F
Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: American Rye
Brewer: Joe S
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
9 lbs         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        75.00 %       
2 lbs         Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                        Grain        16.67 %       
8.0 oz        Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        4.17 %        
8.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)     Grain        4.17 %        
1.00 oz       Sterling [7.50 %]  (60 min) (First Wort HoHops         24.8 IBU      
0.75 oz       Sterling [7.50 %]  (15 min)               Hops         8.4 IBU       
0.50 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SHops          -            
1.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
5.50 gal      Denver, Colorado                          Water                      
1 Pkgs        Nottingham (Danstar #-)                   Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
75 min        Mash In            Add 15.00 qt of water at 164.4 F    150.0 F       

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This turned out very nicely, and had one of the best-tasting hydrometer jars I've had the pleasure of drinking. The rye is present, but not overpowering, and the relatively low IBU lets the malt character come out. The beer is crisp, thanks to the relatively low mash temp. With a FG of 1.010, I'm glad I had the cara-pils in there, or else it may have been too thin.

I wasn't sure how to add the details in Beersmith, but I pre-cooked the rye at 120F for about an hour, as a sort of protein rest in an attempt to get a nice clear beer. We'll see how well it turned out.

A few more weeks in the keg, and this will be a goodie.

View attachment American_rye.bsm

Turned out excellent, thanks.
That reminds me, I need to go bottle a six-pack for aging, before the keg gives out.

[added 4-24-08]

..aaaaand that's it for the keg. I never did bottle up that six-pack. Whoops. Guess I'll have to make more. I might re-do it with a bit more rye, to about 25% of the grain bill, and maybe a different yeast like Cali or Ringwood.

Shameless self-thread-bumpage!

I'm brewing this again (There have been several batches made and consumed since the last post) this weekend, but in 11 gallons. In my typical inability to brew exactly the same beer twice, I'm subbing out the cara-pils for melanoiden malt, and I'll mash a bit hotter and shorter (154 vs 150) to get the dextrines the cara-pils would provide.

This has become my house pale ale -- it's constantly on tap, and I've started brewing larger batches of it, just to make sure I don't run out. I've made somewhere around 30 gallons of it now. The sub of melanoiden for cara-pils turned out to be a pretty good choice.

Last time around, I split a ten gallon batch and fermented half with S-05 and half with Pacman. I felt the Pacman yeast made a better beer, with a touch more malt character to it. I'm currently halfway through my last keg of it, so it's time to brew up another round. This time, I'll be doing a few things differently with my water, which is heavy on sulfates and could use a bit more chloride ion. I don't ever seem to brew it exactly the same way twice, but the grain bill and hops haven't changed in the last few iterations.

Back