Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > High ABV Belgian wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
MattesonR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High ABV Belgian wheat

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Belgian wit ale yeast
Yeast Starter: n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: n/a
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 7.2% ABV
Final Gravity: n/a
IBU: ?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: dark brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days 65 -70
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 0 days
Tasting Notes: amazing

Just brewed today! I brewed a belgian wheat kit my local home brew shop put together. I wanted a higher ABV. I added my first round of hops at 60 min., second round at 18 mins (I dont know if this changes much..but I knew that the flavor would be off without giving just a little more hop aroma than normal) I added at the 10 min mark coriander and I believe it to be dried orange peel and 1 cup of table sugar (in hopes of raising gravity). after flameout I poured into my primary through a strainer and hit it with my wort cooler.

I started a boil with 2 gallons of water. I added my recycled spices and hop additions. I heated this up and let boil for about 1 minute. I poured this into my primary through a strainer pitched my white labs belgian wit ale yeast liquid yeast.

Does anyone have any idea on how this is going to turn out? I know that using table sugar like this will reduce the body. does the early hop addition and the recycling of spices make up for that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply