Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Hefe Candy #1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let's recap...2 types of German malt, German hops and German yeast and you're calling it a Belgium??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Let's recap...2 types of German malt, German hops and German yeast and you're calling it a Belgium??
Actually, no. I said, "Imagine if the Belgians had invented hefeweizen". Slight difference there.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #13
AZWyatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
kumquat? That sounds dirty....
Yeah, doesn't it? All the names you can come up with for it... Kum-fruit, Kummelo (grapefruit's original name was pummelo), Kum-pum, Sour-kum (with the sourness of grapefruit mixed with the sweet-tartness of kumquat). The possibilities are endless! I think I might have overdone the kumquat though, because my whole apartment smelled like the fruit when the fermentation was at full boil. Can't wait to taste it. I took some sips from the satellite fermenter and it's really smooth and creamy. I think it'll be awesome.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
polamalu43
Recipes 

I can only do extract brews, and I’m a total noob (3 batches under my belt). Is there a way to convert this to extract? I love a good Bavarian hefeweizen, and this sounds neat.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalu43
I can only do extract brews, and I’m a total noob (3 batches under my belt). Is there a way to convert this to extract? I love a good Bavarian hefeweizen, and this sounds neat.
Be prepared for a somewhat long aging process, at least 2 months before it really gets good and interesting. Sometimes that's hard for a new brewer, so I'm just warning you. The yeast loves to stay in suspension, so you've got to be patient and handle it with care if you hope to have anything close to a clear beer. Then, when bottling, again, you prime the bottles and it's quite a long wait before they get clear. And pouring a clear one is tricky... but clear or cloudy, it's a dang good beer.

But if you're still interested, I know you can get DME that is half wheat and half barley. 6.5lbs of Wheat DME will work (half wheat half barley) in place of the wheat and barley.

And I do believe you can steep the honey malt, so just go ahead and steep that...

then just follow the hop additions.

The color is somewhat darkish, so don't worry too much about late extract additions or anything...

Also, this would be a great recipe with which to use gelatin for a couple of days before bottling to help clear out the beer.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 03-24-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
AZWyatt
Recipes 

Quote:
The color is somewhat darkish, so don't worry too much about late extract additions or anything...
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Why is it so dark? I guess it's the German wheat? 'Cause I know we make plenty of Hefes here in the U.S. that are very light in color.

Also, my FG is settling at around .020. I noticed your FG is .010. Did I mash at too high a temp or something? My SG was only .060 (and I even had to kick it up with a little DME to get 'er there due to my primitive AG setup's poor efficiency). I fermented it in the low 70s.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #17
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWyatt
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Why is it so dark? I guess it's the German wheat? 'Cause I know we make plenty of Hefes here in the U.S. that are very light in color.

Also, my FG is settling at around .020. I noticed your FG is .010. Did I mash at too high a temp or something? My SG was only .060 (and I even had to kick it up with a little DME to get 'er there due to my primitive AG setup's poor efficiency). I fermented it in the low 70s.
That SG is before the honey addition, correct?

1.020 is within the realm of feasibility. Maybe you did ferment too high, but if that's the case, don't worry, it will really work well for this recipe. I think you'll like it.

Nevertheless, remember honey ferments very slowly so don't be too impatient. As for the DME, what brand did you use? Some, like Laaglander, are notoriously unfermentable.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #18
AZWyatt
Recipes 

Quote:
That SG is before the honey addition, correct?

1.020 is within the realm of feasibility. Maybe you did ferment too high, but if that's the case, don't worry, it will really work well for this recipe. I think you'll like it.

Nevertheless, remember honey ferments very slowly so don't be too impatient. As for the DME, what brand did you use? Some, like Laaglander, are notoriously unfermentable.
You mean mash too high? That's what I was thinking, because a higher mash temp means more unfermentable sugars, means a sweeter brew, right? So that would explain my high FG. But I did add some honey (about 1/4 lb) to the primary just to get the OG up, so it might just be the honey taking its time to ferment. Also added some sugar (about 1/2 cup), and I think a little bit of DME. Wasn't Laaglander, though. It would have been Briess.

I'd like to add some honey to the secondary, but I'm afraid with all the other sugars I've got in there it won't end up tasting good.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
AZWyatt
Recipes 

I went ahead and bottled it last night. Had a sample from a bottle that didn't get filled all the way from the bottling bucket. I'm surprised at how non-sweet it is. I was expecting something almost syrupy, like snowcap or something, but this is about like a regular hefe with a little grapefruit and kumquat juice in there. Probably would have been closer to your 'candy' version if I had gone with more conventional AG techniques though. I did the 'brew in a bag' method, and I didn't add any honey to the secondary. I should have though. Next time.

But I really do like the taste. It tastes exactly like you'd think it should when you hear 'grapefruit hefe'. The grapefruit pucker isn't overpowering, about like adding a lime to a Corona. And the kumquat flavor is a nice sweet-sour addition to round out the pure sourness of the grapefruit. Should be very refreshing in a month or two when it gets hot.

For those of you interested in the recipe, I juiced four grapefruits by hand (same method as squeezing the juice out of a lime) and pureed about ten kumquats. After removing the seeds, I pasteurized the mixture by putting it on the stove for about 30 minutes at 170-180 degrees. I threw this mixture into the primary at the same time I pitched my yeast. There was a significant amount of kumquat pulp and rind that I was worried would clog my racking cane toward the end, but it all floated and essentially wasn't a problem until nearly all of the usable beer was already racked off the yeast cake. I also zested about half a grapefruit and put the zest in at 5 minutes before flame-out.

Last edited by AZWyatt; 03-28-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
Big "A"
Recipes 

Wow and to think that I was going to be the first Honey Wheat Home Brew, LOL!

A friend of mine used to live in Seattle and ws raving about a beer called Yakima Honey Wheat. I was like that sounds great and Right now it sounds really goods...even more so after reading your Hefe Candy and the other Honey Wheat Recipes. I formulated one that went something like this. (not exact, not on my computer):

Briess 2 row 6lbs
Wheat Malt 4lbs
Cara-pils 1lbs
Honey Malt 1.5lbs
Flaked Wheat 1lbs
Honey 2lbs (after reading your post I guess I should back this off)
I was going with a more american style so I was thinking
Magnum 1oz
Cascade 1oz
Cascade 1oz (Dry Hop)
Yeah I'm a Hop Head!

You should see my Hopptastic Hop Monster recipe, LOL Right now would cost like $25 in Hops

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply