Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Gumballhead inspired WPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #31
mixmasterob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfinger View Post
Just bottled cuinrearview's recipe yesterday... I followed the above recommendations for an exact Gumballhead clone and, based on a taste of the uncarbonated beer (I don't have a kegging system so am bottle conditioning) it is going to be really, really close. Regardless, the beer tastes really good! The hop aroma is dead on in a side to side comparison. Thanks much for the recipe and I will forward a review and a couple pics when it is ready...
So you dropped the CaraVienne to 1/2lb?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #32
sfinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmasterob View Post
So you dropped the CaraVienne to 1/2lb?
I did. I was originally going to do cuinrearview's exact recipe but since I am fortunate enough to be able to visit Three Floyds once in a while I decided to see how close the recommendations would come to the real thing. I'll let you know...

If you brew it, they will come...

Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #33
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfinger View Post
Just bottled cuinrearview's recipe yesterday... I followed the above recommendations for an exact Gumballhead clone and, based on a taste of the uncarbonated beer (I don't have a kegging system so am bottle conditioning) it is going to be really, really close. Regardless, the beer tastes really good! The hop aroma is dead on in a side to side comparison. Thanks much for the recipe and I will forward a review and a couple pics when it is ready...
So what exactly did you grain bill look like? Did you add any CaraPils? I am definitely looking for a less sweet version. Can anyone weigh in on the original? It is pretty sweet?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #34
sfinger
Recipes 

Quote:
So what exactly did you grain bill look like? Did you add any CaraPils? I am definitely looking for a less sweet version. Can anyone weigh in on the original? It is pretty sweet?
This is what I used:

Cara 20L 1/2 lb crushed
American 2-Row, 1lb crushed
White Wheat, 1lb crushed

My local home brew shop was out of wheat DME so I substituted with 6lbs of Briess Wheat Unhopped LME.

I followed the Amarillo whole hop schedule exactly, including the Amarillo dry hop, but did not add the Simcoe which Cuinrearview suggested as I wanted to try his opinion on a closer duplication of the original. I'll let you know how it comes out in a few weeks...

If you brew it, they will come...

Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #35
jarod7736
Recipes 

Just put this in the keg sunday morning. Currently sitting in the keezer chilling & carbing up. Does this need time to age at a higher temp? The sample was fantastic, hopefully it'll be ready to drink this weekend.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #36
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod7736 View Post
Just put this in the keg sunday morning. Currently sitting in the keezer chilling & carbing up. Does this need time to age at a higher temp? The sample was fantastic, hopefully it'll be ready to drink this weekend.
Did you use the original recipe?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
jarod7736
Recipes 

Quote:
Did you use the original recipe?
Yep. It was in the primary for 14 days, and then dry hopped for another 7.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #38
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Solid. I am torn between brewing the original recipe or the altered version with less CaraVienne. I ordered both grain bills so I may just brew both, its going to be a hot summer. Each would look like this.

1LB 2-Row
1LB White Wheat
1LB CaraVienne

5LBS Wheat DME
Hopped with Amarillo
S-05
__

1LB 2-Row
1LB White Wheat
1/4LB CaraVienne
1/4LB CaraPils

5LBS Wheat DME
Hopped with Citra, Centennial or Summit, haven't decided yet.
S-05

Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #39
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed this beer about 1 1/2 months ago and it's been bottled for over 3 weeks. I followed the original recipe exactly. This was my very first "mini-mash" but after consulting cuinrearview and then gathering the extra equipment this came out perfect. My Original Gravity came out to 1.051. I had it in primary for 10 days and reached a final gravity of 1.010. I then dry hopped it in a secondary fermenter for another 10 days. The abv came out to 5.44%.

I was fortunate enough to receive a 6 pack of the original gumballhead in a trade so I was able to compare the 2. Unfortunately I didn't make notes but from what I recall my beer was a bit darker, sweeter, and had more of a fruit hop. Gumballhead had more of flowery, skunky(in a good way) hop flavor. I still have a few of each so I'll do a more detailed comparison later.

All of my friends and their parents loved this beer. Even my friends who don't drink craft couldn't get enough. I'll definitely be brewing this one again.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #40
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Now that I have poured both I'll explains the differences.

Appearance - The "clone" is about two shades darker, but both are pretty clear. They both produce a nice white head, although the "clone" has better retention.

Aroma - The gumballhead has a more citrusy nose, while the clone has more fruit present, although the citrus is there. I'm guessing this is coming from the simcoe used in the dry hopping.

Mouthfeel/Body - Both are about the same when it comes to body, although the clone is a bit creamier.

Taste - Both have a nice citrus and wheat flavor, but the clone is a little sweeter. Gumballhead also has a more apparent floral hop flavor. The sweetness in the clone probably covers this up a bit.

These are both very good beers. I wish gumballhead was distributed near me, but unfortunately that's not the case. I think I may prefer the "clone" a little bit more, it seems to match my personal tastes better.

Quick Reply